Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Model 3 buyer - spec question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there 🙂.

New to the forum, and found a used model 3 but I need some help please!

It's a 2021 model, but registered in Dec 2020. It's not being sold at a dealer that knows a lot about Teslas so I'm not 100% confident in the info I'm getting (the car is not close enough for me to easily look at for myself).

It's a Long range with performance upgrade. It has the turbine alloys and boot spoiler which I presume were added by the previous owners, as I don't think these are options when buying new are they?

Anyway, I've asked the dealer a few questions about spec and the one remaining queries is about the heated steering wheel. The dealer is saying that he can't see the option. Is he looking in the wrong place, or is this a feature that might legitimately be missing?

Also, heat pump wise, the photos show the smaller front boot so is it safe to say this car has that, given it's a face lifted car?

Thanks a lot in advance!

You cannot assume anything about Tesla specs especially as there is technically no year designation in the same way that other manufacturers use. The car spec is constantly changing even from one delivery batch to the next.

Your question re heat pump is also not helped by there being a transition period, which basically came with smaller front boot area but no heat pump. And this was around the time that a car delivered in 2020 would likely have been manufactured.

Best advice would be to look back through the delivery threads around that time (there is probably a 2020 Q4 thread somewhere) and the heated steering wheel speculation thread and see what peoples experiences were of spec and if their car had steering wheel retrospectively enabled. Iirc that had to be a MiC car.

Get the dealer to bring up the climate menu and the heated steering wheel icon (if fitted) will be on the centre console picture in the middle. There isn't a definitive way to tell if it has a heatpump without removing the front tub, 7 10mm bolts to get it out.

Lots of businesses selling used Teslas who are technically more like flippers than ‘dealers’ because they don’t know anything about them and couldn’t care less as long as they can flip them for a grand or two profit.

As above they’ll need to dig into the frunk and find out, and you should ask them to check IMO because it will give you a brilliant idea of how much or little they’ll provide in terms of after sales service if you buy it.

If they don’t care enough to understand the critical aspects of the vehicle they’re selling you should take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of really good independent ev dealers now and the good ones know everything there is to know about the cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
To be honest you really need to make the effort and view the car, its going to be costing you a significant amount of money and a dealers description of condition is likely not to be the same as yours, you need to feel and touch the car, visually inspect it - BEVs are vehicles that majority of garages or should i say mechanics are not familiar with - so its hardly surprising that a used vehicle retailer certainly wont have any significant knowledge either - cars to almost all retailers are just commodities they sell - few are actually interested in a car because they are petrol heads (I still classify myself as a petrol head owning a BEV)

Tesla in particular are always making changes unannounced to their vehicles - but when they do tell you there is a change from a certain date you would need to know the build date of the car your looking at - and all you can get is the first registration date - so you must go and see it.

Some of the changes to Tesla are not as alluring as they suggest, I wouldn't let the absence of a heat pump be a gamechanger - after all the introduction of the heat pump (Octovalve) introduced a lot of issues and unforeseen problems with the early fitted pumps, whereby the resistive heater is old proven technology that simply works.
Indeed, if the heat pumps USP is saving electrical energy then why would you want to use more by having a heated (resistive) steering wheel? unless of course you just want to have the latest changes.

Buying from an independent retailer though shouldn't be an issue as you really wont need any after sales support from them because the car has many years of Tesla warranty on it - so faults and issues going forward will be referred back to them - The retailer by law though has a duty to provide a warranty for 6 months under the Consumer Rights Act so any issues in that time of non declared faults prior to sale, are deemed to have pre-existed and gives you the right to reject the car, So, if its a real lemon or supplied with "consumable items" that make the car illegal to use then the retailer either has to pay to fix or refund you - I'm thinking here like tyres worn down below the legal limit, the 12v battery on its last legs, wiper blades worn out (all items Tesla wouldn't cover under their warranty) - so in effect you get Tesla warranty and for 6 months additional cover from the retailer.

Reactions: Adopado
Lack of heat pump would be a big issue for me

Why is that? (On the assumption that you are new to Tesla you might have a reason that learned folk here may be able to give advice on - and maybe turn it into a smaller issue :) )

I'm wondering if you can get a data-dump of the spec somehow. I had a look at TeslaFi (can't imagine the dealer will do that ... but TeslaFi is available for free trial ... so would cost "Nothing" other than the hassle of registering)

I think the value for "steering_wheel_heater" actually only shows whether it is ON or not. But maybe that isn't included at all if not fitted to the car ... (I have "has_air_suspension: 1" on the MS and that is BLANK on the MY. MY has "key_version: 2" and that is not included at all on MS)

Whether the TesalFi data dump (Help : Raw Tesla API Output) has all the data you need I dunno ...

ScanMyTesla might be another route - plugged into the ODB port - can't see the dealer doing that either! but if you were collecting you could verify what a (uninformed) dealer had said

Personally I think Teslafi would be overkill and tell you very little. There are plenty of other ways that require no sign up like

I’m pretty sure the heat pump came as part of the changes that included the dechrome, but the heated steering wheel didn’t, that came along over the a short period of time. The heated steering wheel should however be trivial to spot from the heating screen. If there’s a steering wheel icon in the middle of the screen, it’s got the heated wheel. I suspect a car that early might not have it though.

Personally, if a dealer can’t tell you what you’re buying, I’d walk on by unless it’s an amazing deal. There are plenty of cars about.

Hi there 🙂.

New to the forum, and found a used model 3 but I need some help please!

It's a 2021 model, but registered in Dec 2020. It's not being sold at a dealer that knows a lot about Teslas so I'm not 100% confident in the info I'm getting (the car is not close enough for me to easily look at for myself).

It's a Long range with performance upgrade. It has the turbine alloys and boot spoiler which I presume were added by the previous owners, as I don't think these are options when buying new are they?

Anyway, I've asked the dealer a few questions about spec and the one remaining queries is about the heated steering wheel. The dealer is saying that he can't see the option. Is he looking in the wrong place, or is this a feature that might legitimately be missing?

Also, heat pump wise, the photos show the smaller front boot so is it safe to say this car has that, given it's a face lifted car?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Contrary to what some have said it is my belief that everything delivered to the UK in November and December 2020 had a heat pump. So given the smaller frunk there is no reason to believe this car does NOT have the heat pump.
The term "Long range with performance upgrade" is Tesla speak for the performance model so the wheels and spoiler were not added by the previous owner what you have here is a genuine M3P.
Heated steering wheel came in 2021 I believe so it probably does not have that. but since EV's have instant heat its not something I have ever missed on mine.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm getting the impression that the car probably does have the heat pump then. As for why I think it's important, perhaps I'm giving it too much weight, it's just that I read it does make the car more efficient and so given the choice, I'd rather have it.

The dealer has double checked (by looking at YouTube) to determine whether the heated steering wheel is included and he's sure it isn't. As for whether the car is actually a performance, I'm not sure as it's being sold as Long Range and the dealer has said it's been "chipped" to bring the 0-60 down to 3.9. To me, this sounds like the acceleration boost package, but this doesn't explain the wheels and spoiler. I've linked to the car below.

To be honest though, like some of you have said, the lack of knowledge around the car has put me off. Reference to the car being "chipped" was a bit of a joke, and also, when I asked about the heat pump I don't think he even knew what it was, and then just reverted back to the fact that the car could do 0-60 on 3.9!

Perhaps the heated steering wheel isn't actually a big deal (current car has it) because presumably you can set the Tesla to warm the cabin for you in the morning anyway, negating the need to heat the wheel?

I should go and look at the car really, like has been mentioned. 🙂

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm getting the impression that the car probably does have the heat pump then. As for why I think it's important, perhaps I'm giving it too much weight, it's just that I read it does make the car more efficient and so given the choice, I'd rather have it.

The dealer has double checked (by looking at YouTube) to determine whether the heated steering wheel is included and he's sure it isn't. As for whether the car is actually a performance, I'm not sure as it's being sold as Long Range and the dealer has said it's been "chipped" to bring the 0-60 down to 3.9. To me, this sounds like the acceleration boost package, but this doesn't explain the wheels and spoiler. I've linked to the car below.

To be honest though, like some of you have said, the lack of knowledge around the car has put me off. Reference to the car being "chipped" was a bit of a joke, and also, when I asked about the heat pump I don't think he even knew what it was, and then just reverted back to the fact that the car could do 0-60 on 3.9!

Perhaps the heated steering wheel isn't actually a big deal (current car has it) because presumably you can set the Tesla to warm the cabin for you in the morning anyway, negating the need to heat the wheel?

Kinda strange, definitely not got the brakes from a Performance, but has wheels, spoiler and a red underline under the dual motor. You seem to be paying a more than used direct from Tesla for this combination of changes, and missing Enhanced Autopilot -> Inventory | Tesla.

If the dealers is saying it's a LR with AB, then I guess they are likely to be right, you will be able to tell if you look at the Software page in the car, would show the AB.

I don't have a heated wheel, but just precondition the car before I get in and the wheel is then a fine temperature, I also don't have a heatpump, the resistive heater works just fine and you'll find that the AB and Wheels are going to be making much more impact to the range.

Kinda strange, definitely not got the brakes from a Performance, but has wheels, spoiler and a red underline under the dual motor. You seem to be paying a more than used direct from Tesla for this combination of changes, and missing Enhanced Autopilot -> Inventory | Tesla.

If the dealers is saying it's a LR with AB, then I guess they are likely to be right, you will be able to tell if you look at the Software page in the car, would show the AB.

I don't have a heated wheel, but just precondition the car before I get in and the wheel is then a fine temperature, I also don't have a heatpump, the resistive heater works just fine and you'll find that the AB and Wheels are going to be making much more impact to the range.
Good point about the wheels. I have read that the turbines are better for range than the previous Performance wheels though.

On looking at the photos, I think that perhaps the rear lights have been smoked, which does smack of owner modification, along with the rear window tints. Perhaps the owner went the whole hog and replaced the rear badge with a red lined one!

Regarding price, yes but I guess the extra is much less that putting the 20s on and paying for the performance boost after purchase.

Given the calipers and the 0-60. It is an LR with acceleration boost + wheels and spoiler added. Bad to sell as “Performance upgrade“ that is often how real M3P are described. Very confusing