Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Model 3 buyer - spec question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like an LR that they've made a good effort to look like a Performance but not bothered with the brakes callipers. It says on my V5 that mine is a Model 3 Performance and it states the power output, you may be able to get the details from there if the dealer has the V5. If it is a LR and you do buy it remember to disclose all the modifications to your insurer, wheels, spoiler, window tints (these are definitely a modification as no Model 3's came with dark tints).

Reactions: Banzibarn
Not going for that one now.

Should get a Long Range with full self drive next week, subject to confirmation that it has the heat pump (seller kindly taking cover off in the frunk to visually check.

Question about insurance, with full self drive being a very expensive option, does this need declaring as a modification on insurance? How does this work?

Looks like an LR that they've made a good effort to look like a Performance but not bothered with the brakes callipers. It says on my V5 that mine is a Model 3 Performance and it states the power output, you may be able to get the details from there if the dealer has the V5. If it is a LR and you do buy it remember to disclose all the modifications to your insurer, wheels, spoiler, window tints (these are definitely a modification as no Model 3's came with dark tints).
It's shown as a Long Range on the Gov Mot history.

Not going for that one now.

Should get a Long Range with full self drive next week, subject to confirmation that it has the heat pump (seller kindly taking cover off in the frunk to visually check.

Question about insurance, with full self drive being a very expensive option, does this need declaring as a modification on insurance? How does this work?
Insurers don't ask about options from the OEM, you will have included it in your estimation of the cars value.

Insurers don't ask about options from the OEM, you will have included it in your estimation of the cars value.
(Some) insurers, and most completely ignore the value you put in anyway (Direct Line don't even ask) - they determine market value unless you are taking out an explicit guaranteed value policy.

I'd make sure they know about FSD and are prepared to pay for its value in a total loss claim.

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1 and Banzibarn
Some don't ask because they want wiggle room in the event of a claim. Been there. Like any agreement or terms, if it's not in writing, it's not worth anything. Indicating the vehicles value is as much a way for them to sanity check they're charging you enough. It's something but doesn't mean much in the event of a total loss as above.

If you have expensive optional extras on the car that you definitely want covered, I would always tell the insurer and make sure they're listed. Maybe I'm just paranoid about insurers but I think it's worth the few minutes it takes.

(Some) insurers, and most completely ignore the value you put in anyway (Direct Line don't even ask) - they determine market value unless you are taking out an explicit guaranteed value policy.

I'd make sure they know about FSD and are prepared to pay for its value in a total loss claim.
I agree they do, but all you need to do is answer all their questions accurately. They specifically don't ask about any options that came with the car from new. There's no reason to phone them up and tell them things they haven't asked.

Churchill also didn't care whether I had Acceleration Boost or not when I called them, said any software updates from the manufacturer are fine.

Let's be honest, they don't really add a great deal of value typically to a used car, so after the first year their write off value wouldn't be very different.

Hi there 🙂.

New to the forum, and found a used model 3 but I need some help please!

It's a 2021 model, but registered in Dec 2020. It's not being sold at a dealer that knows a lot about Teslas so I'm not 100% confident in the info I'm getting (the car is not close enough for me to easily look at for myself).

It's a Long range with performance upgrade. It has the turbine alloys and boot spoiler which I presume were added by the previous owners, as I don't think these are options when buying new are they?

Anyway, I've asked the dealer a few questions about spec and the one remaining queries is about the heated steering wheel. The dealer is saying that he can't see the option. Is he looking in the wrong place, or is this a feature that might legitimately be missing?

Also, heat pump wise, the photos show the smaller front boot so is it safe to say this car has that, given it's a face lifted car?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Mine was built in Calif in Nov2020 and has the heatpump and is the "refresh blacked-out" update. They refreshed the design around October I think and heatpump came in around Nov. Does NOT have the heated steering wheel. If the icon is there on the app/screen it has the heated steering wheel. Mine doesn't. Heated steering wheel came in on the MIC cars a few months before it reached Calif.

Thanks.

I was initially told the car had a heated steering wheel and heat pump. Now I've found out that it doesn't have the heated wheel - I can live with that. The car is a Refresh but doesn't have the wood extending to the doors so I think this indicates it's made in the USA not China. But, think I read that only the standard range models moved to China anyway?

So, regarding the heat pump, the garage are unable to say if it has one or not. What are people's thoughts on whether the heat pump is a big deal? To be honest we don't do a lot of high mileage driving so doubt it's a problem in reality, but it would be nice to know that the car has the latest features.
Mine sounds a similar vintage to yours. Mine is a Nov2020 build SR+. It is refreshed (black handles) power tailgate, new interior, has heatpump but not heated steering wheel. So maybe yours will be the same.
I had borrowed a pre-refresh performance model 3 and was shocked that the heater was so much worse. Found that 18C on my SR+ I was comfortable. With the performance I had to put the heater to 20-21C to get the same heat and it didn't feel as warm or powerful as the heatpump version on mine. The heat would come on in about 5 seconds on my post refresh one. The performance one, the heat just felt more feeble.
Mine doesn't have the wood on the doors either. That would indicate it's a MIC car for sure.
MIC cars did start providing long-range and performance to the UK but some I think those are LG batteries and some are now 82kWh vs 78kWh, Calif cars are Panasonic. Only SR+ MIC are LFP and obviously date from around Jan2020 to present.

This thread sites Oct 5th 2020 as when heatpumps became standard:

Cheers. The dealer took the Frunk apart for me and yes, the car has the heat pump 👍🏻
People say the car loses range in very cold weather. But I find the heatpump means the range loss is only about 10% in 0-5C weather once the car is running. Not as bad as the 20-30% that people typically say. But I think a lot of people would be driving non heat-pump cars.
For instance I do a 73mile each way run down to visit the parents. I would charge to at least 85% in summer and get back with 20%. In winter it's more like 90 and 15%. I was lent the performance while mine was in for a service and despite the 80% charge on the bigger battery I also got back with 20%. The efficiency was so much worse on the pre heat pump car - also the dual-motor and bigger sports wheels would make it worse.

Hi All,

I have been reading on the forum for a while now, educating myself on the Model 3s prior to putting a deposit down.

I have found a "2021 Model" M3LR, but registered in late-December 2020, it has around 10k miles, but the specification is confusing me a little.

I believe it is a 'refresh' model with the black trim, smaller front boot so with heat pump and heated steering wheel. It's white w/ white interior (which I love!), but has the 20" Uberturbine wheels, a Carbon lip at the rear, Performance pedals and the "Acceleration Boost" added too. What confuses me even more is that there is a red line under "Dual Motor" at the rear, but in the software menu there is no red line, so I'm assuming it's definitely a Long Range.

The dealer states that the 20" wheels "are a £4,500 optional extra", but I can't find anywhere online or here where the 20" wheels were optional extra on a "2021 Model" M3LR?! Would it be right to assume the previous owner bought a LR and added the 20" alloys, carbon lip, red line badge, sports pedals and AB themselves?

Many thanks in advance - and looking forward to taking the car home, if all makes sense, hopefully Saturday!

Alan.

There's a thread on here about that car already, maybe try a search with the name of the seller. We concluded it was as it seemed, a LR with a bunch of visual changes made. From memory I'm not sure it actually had the heatpump as the last buyer had a good check.