Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Model 3 buyer with 164-180 mile daily commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most houses out here are 200amp service, and many have 2 air conditioner condenser units. In general, homes out here would likely have no issue with a load calc to add a 60amp circuit, but adding a 100 amp circuit would be problematic for load calculations for most.

It also depends on if you own or rent your home, and if its your "forever home" . If it is, maybe the expense is something to consider.. but if its not...

Also as I mentioned most homes out here would have garages, with the electrical coming in right on the one side. Putting the HPWC on the interior garage wall of the electrical means that the cable run is likely less than 10 feet. Swapping out that cable would be a very small expense, if one got a second EV down the road and wanted to upgrade charging. Everyones situation is different, but this is how most houses out here are.

If the run is 10ft the cost for bigger wire is negligible.

Is there a 110 volt outlet somewhere near work you can take advantage of? Will give you 35 miles of range. Is there a CCS or Chademo charger nearby? You could use an electric scooter or electric unicycle to move back and forth between work and where your car is charging.

Hello folks,
Need some serious advise from fellow Model 3 owners in regards to long range commute. My daily commute is from Temecula Southern California to San Diego->one way 85 miles. No chargers at work. Realistically could I make this commute back to Temecula with no range worries? How does the battery fair when Temecula temperatures reaches 110 degrees in the summer?

Thank you for your advice.
Jay

Jay,

I drive the same route, from Menifee to San Diego and back (160 miles) weekdays, since Dec last year.

I have LR AWD M3 on 20" aftermarket wheels.

My routine:

Charge to 90% (279 miles of 310 range)
starting 2200 to use super off peak at $0.10 per kWh.

One way to San Diego burns about 100 miles, and about 100 miles back to Menifee. Leaving about 80 miles, then I recharge and repeat the next day. :confused:

If I were to buy a Model 3 today - I would get LR RWD with stock Aero Wheels.

I got the HOV decals and those are lifesaver!

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

RbRt

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima and GSP
Most houses out here are 200amp service, and many have 2 air conditioner condenser units. In general, homes out here would likely have no issue with a load calc to add a 60amp circuit, but adding a 100 amp circuit would be problematic for load calculations for most.

It also depends on if you own or rent your home, and if its your "forever home" . If it is, maybe the expense is something to consider.. but if its not...

Also as I mentioned most homes out here would have garages, with the electrical coming in right on the one side. Putting the HPWC on the interior garage wall of the electrical means that the cable run is likely less than 10 feet. Swapping out that cable would be a very small expense, if one got a second EV down the road and wanted to upgrade charging. Everyones situation is different, but this is how most houses out here are.

It doesn’t hurt to run the larger wire size now but still setup for 60A. Then if you do need to upgrade later you don’t have redo the wall connector. Only only do this if the possibly was high. And both cars would be high demand.

Reactions: MXWing
Jay,

I drive the same route, from Menifee to San Diego and back (160 miles) weekdays, since Dec last year.

I have LR AWD M3 on 20" aftermarket wheels.

My routine:

Charge to 90% (279 miles of 310 range)
starting 2200 to use super off peak at $0.10 per kWh.

One way to San Diego burns about 100 miles, and about 100 miles back to Menifee. Leaving about 80 miles, then I recharge and repeat the next day. :confused:

If I were to buy a Model 3 today - I would get LR RWD with stock Aero Wheels.

I got the HOV decals and those are lifesaver!

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

RbRt

Thank you brother, I sometimes run 185 miles round trip. Glad to hear that another fellow commuter does a ton of miles too!
I was looking into the LR RWD with aero model. Hoping to see if I can make this happen before June 30. I’m banking on the less moving parts and better technology in the Model 3 to be able to hit 300k with hopefully no battery issues. My current car is 275k no issues except gas and maintenance is high.

jay

Reactions: GSP
Hello folks, Realistically could I make this commute back to Temecula with no range worries? How does the battery fair when Temecula temperatures reaches 110 degrees in the summer?

One time some how I set the charge limit to 50% and woke up ready to drive to San San Diego with 155 mile charge - so I stopped by the Supercharger at Fashion Valley on the way back (1 hour nap lol) since I still have free supercharging...so this happens, but still I did not have range anxiety.

I have AC (67°) when its hot or Heat (70°) in winter...still have plenty range at the end of Menifee/San Diego trip.

I suggest to get at least the Auto Pilot - I use it 80-90% of the 160 mile ride.

Thank you brother, I sometimes run 185 miles round trip. Glad to hear that another fellow commuter does a ton of miles too!
I was looking into the LR RWD with aero model. Hoping to see if I can make this happen before June 30. I’m banking on the less moving parts and better technology in the Model 3 to be able to hit 300k with hopefully no battery issues. My current car is 275k no issues except gas and maintenance is high.

jay

Its worth it brother, by my calculation I pay about $5 for charging, vs $20 if driving ICE...everyday.

BTW,

SCE will rebate $1000 plus $450 for Charger install.

Another, South Coast Air Quality MD will give $500

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/programs/community/community-detail?title=ev-charging-incentive

and, I hope you qualify for $4500 from the state.

and, get the HOV decal for sure.

• Helpful
I live 15 miles North of you on Canyon Lake, and drive an X 75. Have no problems going down to San Diego and back. Your Model 3 is much more efficient, and is the perfect vehicle for the commute.

Amazing how much stress Autopilot takes away on the commute. Almost like cheating.

If it were me I would get the larger battery, in case you want to do some running around while in San Diego.
There are now several Superchargers in San Diego, and that should take most any range anxiety away.

Same thing going North. Lots of Superchargers available no matter if you are going to LA, Orange County or Palm Springs area.

You are Golden.

Yep. Agree with people here. LR or AWD. AWD at 90% and you leave the house at 279 miles. Normally, I’d say NEMA 14-50 is plenty, but wall charger just in case. And while my 15 minute commute and desire to enjoy my AWD acceleration has made FSD of less interest to me, if I had 160 miles a day I’d be on FSD like white on rice.

LR or AWD for sure, with full FSD and you’ll be both pleased and happy.

jay
You are going to save so much money in fuel and maintenance every month it will blow your mind!

My commute is 110 miles and I save well over 1/3 of my Model 3 payment in fuel costs alone.

Model 3 is the perfect vehicle for long commutes.

• Informative
I commute 70 miles each way on a SR+. I get home with about 65 miles left. If you go 65 mph you shouldn't have an issue IMHO, but you’d be cutting it pretty close and you’d be limited in the fun you can have behind the wheel.

On a SR+, You might be left with 30-40 miles, so you’d almost never be able to use Sentry mode and going out for lunch may give you anxiety. Over time, it’ll get worse with battery degradation.

LR AWD should give you ample range even if you were to charge to 80%.