Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Motor Wiring Harness Diagnosis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr; service center replaces drive unit, says its the wiring harness working intermittently probably frayed somewhere, 5-6 hours to follow the whole thing. Charge port wouldn't release, software updates failed, 12v battery replace, charge port doesn't light up at all. Anyone else see anything like this?

Now the whole detailed story...its long.

Been an owner since 2013, one of the first few in NH. Hello again.

This all started about 6 weeks ago. drove back home, parked as I have been for the past 115k miles.

Next morning, the car didn't recognize me, and no auto presentation of door handles. Key fob worked to open doors, but charge cable was locked in the port.

No error messages, just couldn't unplug, and therefore couldn't drive.

Tried all the regular things, soft reboots, hard reboots, spent some time on the phone with support, no luck. Also, being an early adopter, not blessed with a manual release for the charge port.

Can't put it into tow mode, still plugged in. Technical support thinks its a 12v battery issue.

3 days goes by waiting for the ranger, 12v charger plugged into the nose, and now there are some error messages. Contact Tesla Service, and Try Closing and reopening the charge port door.

Ranger comes, replace 12v, nothing.
Disconnects the charge cable, manually after taking the back of the port apart, plugs in new charge port, still nothing.
Thinks that maybe its a software issue, seemed to be an issue with the last update. Told me the battery management system seemed to be completely off line.
Attempts a software update, didn't fix anything. At this point it was about 10pm.
Now though, it will go into tow mode, so off to Watertown, MA it goes.

A few days go by, and I get an email, letting me know it was the drive unit, and they were ordering one, and it was going to be replaced.

Week goes by, drive unit arrives, gets replaced.

I get a phone call asking if the car was a total loss at some point. Long story short, it wasn't, liberty mutual "made a mistake" in reporting that to carfax, has to get them to send a letter to Tesla Watertown and Carfax to fix the reporting issue.

More time goes by, asking for update from the service center, they explain that it obviously wasn't the drive unit, and that they were waiting on engineering to let them know how to proceed.

Over a couple weeks, my mobile app has been telling me software update is available followed by a software update failed. Probably 3 separate instances.

Yesterday though, the software update was successful. Up until that successful update, the car was reporting as still be at home, and this morning it started reporting as being in the service center.

Range now shows less than 202 miles, which it has reported for the past 6 weeks, exactly 202, until today it shows 193.

Service center needed authorization for 5-6 hours to trace the wiring harness for the drive unit, and they seemed pretty confident that was the problem.

I don't post much, but I follow and read almost everything. I don't think I've seen anyone else with something similar, but I figured I would let others know my experience and update this thread as I find out more.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy