Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential new owner, got some q's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got some basic questions before i buy....
picking up a standard range plus, the most basic for 38k - will get about 10k in rebates and tax credits.
i drive about 36k miles a year.

live in northern cali, near the factory

1 How much is your insurance premium?

2. How much did you spend on a set of new tires?

3. How much is your yearly registration cost?

1. Won't help you. Insurance rates are dependent on credit score, where you live, your age, your martial status, car, driving history, company you pick and a dozen other things they don't tell us.
2. $ 1200
3. Won't be the same as yours since you don't live in my state.

Reactions: sceptic
How are you eligible for $10K in rebates and credits in California?

Yes, how are you eligible for 10K in rebates and credits? I think you are reading the prices on the Tesla site incorrectly. If you choose the price of car w/rebates and incentives, they give all the possible rebates and then add in the "average" cost of saved fuel costs, etc. It's not really representative of real cash flow!

I live in California and will get the Federal credit of (~$1875.), no state credits (are income based and you probably don't qualify if you can afford one of these cars), and will probably pay more than gasoline prices per mile as electricity costs here (tiered) generally run high per KWh (remember all your home A/C, appliance and light bills knock you into a higher cost tier). Most people buy these cars because they are really nice!

I live in California and will get the Federal credit of (~$1875.), no state credits (are income based and you probably don't qualify if you can afford one of these cars), and will probably pay more than gasoline prices per mile as electricity costs here (tiered) generally run high per KWh (remember all your home A/C, appliance and light bills knock you into a higher cost tier). Most people buy these cars because they are really nice!

Electricity prices in California seem to vary quite a bit. In Orange County we have a time of use plan where we only pay .11/KwH after 10pm. With gas prices begin quite high here it’s an order of magnitude cheaper to operate a Tesla than an ICE vehicle. I average around $30/month in electricity to drive 900 miles per month. My Lexus used to run me $150/month in gasoline to drive the same number of miles.

In Orange County we have a time of use plan where we only pay .11/KwH after 10pm
Is it OK if I ask what the normal rate is?

It would appear as if I was gloating if I told you what the rate is here, so I won't unless you do actually want to know. :) Just curious as to how expensive electricity is in southern California.

Is it OK if I ask what the normal rate is?

It would appear as if I was gloating if I told you what the rate is here, so I won't unless you do actually want to know. :) Just curious as to how expensive electricity is in southern California.

The rates change from summer (June-Sep) to winter (Oct-May) but the low is .10/KwH and the high in the summer is .47/KwH.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
How are you eligible for $10K in rebates and credits in California?

Some localities have their own rebates. For example, the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District offers a $3k rebate on BEVs. Marin county offers up to $3500.

PG&E offers a $900 rebate on new BEVs.

So in my area, total incentives right now are $1875 fed + $2500 state + $3000 local + $900 utility = $8275.

OP could also be in the lower income bracket that raises the state rebate to $4,500.

Or they could just be mistaken. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
In Marin County, you have to earn less than (combined income) $77,250/yr (family or 4) or $50,730 for a family of 2, etc. Unless someone gave you the Tesla, no one at that income could afford a Tesla.

A lot of these "credits" or incentives have no real meaning whatsoever. California's incentives are the same - if you qualify, you probably cant afford the car. The qualifying conditions are very deceptive, and people need to be careful assuming you can get them.

Reactions: Kamban and sceptic
In Marin County, you have to earn less than (combined income) $77,250/yr (family or 4) or $50,730 for a family of 2, etc. Unless someone gave you the Tesla, no one at that income could afford a Tesla.

A lot of these "credits" or incentives have no real meaning whatsoever. California's incentives are the same - if you qualify, you probably cant afford the car. The qualifying conditions are very deceptive, and people need to be careful assuming you can get them.

you can have high assets and low/no income. eg Retirees, people who's income varies year to year etc, savers buy the car in cash

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset and OCR1

Definitely agree... fine print can be a killer.
Unless you’re out here in the dirty air haven of the San Joaquin valley... no income limits / strings attached at all! ;)

While the state-wide $2500 rebate does have income limits, they’re quite reasonable at $150k/$300k single/joint.

$1200 for a set of new tires is accurate if you are replacing them with OEM tires. You can can get much cheaper tires, albeit they may be slightly louder on the road if they don't have the foam liner.

Dan

Even on the OEMs, there are plenty of deals to be had. I just bought a set of 19” Michelin MXM4s for my Model S at Costco for $950.

you can have high assets and low/no income. eg Retirees, people who's income varies year to year etc, savers buy the car in cash

A one bedroom apartment in Marin starts at $1500/month. More likely $2000. - and not much for that amount. That's for 2 people. In 2016, the median income in Marin County was $113,908. I'm sure the median income for retirees is much less, and most retirement income is taxed like everyone else. This is definitely not the place to retire (unless you have a decent income - well over the median). In fact, my wife and I live here only because we have been here for a very long time.

Perhaps someone with a minimum income could stretch to buy a Tesla, but not living here. The average house price here is somewhere around $1.1M. Condos are $400K-$500K and higher. Then again, I am conservative and do not like to owe money, etc.

Yes, a few people probably get those benefits, but likely not many. I still think it's wrong for the state and various agencies to talk about rebates and credits up to $____. People often don't read the fine print and get in trouble.

I bet you'll save a lot of money on the "fuel" costs with the Model 3. I know a number of people who work here in bay area but live in places like Los Banos. A lot of time in the car and another good reason why AP will be nice for you.

After reading this thread I'm glad I live in Florida. The cost of living in California is seems insane. It can't be that bad all over the state is it? I've visited the state before weather was beautiful (Southern CA) in the summer vs Florida. I won't complain about the hurricanes, crazy people and roads filled with slow moving retirees anymore!

Reactions: RScottyL