Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential new owner has a few concerns [potential purchase in belgium]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might, I'll have to look into that.

One other question: these very long charger cables, where might I get those? Are they long enough to reach the fourth floor of your average apartment building?
You would have to build one from cable and the best connectors you can afford. And you must use heavy wires to avoid loss. The same size wires as go to the outlet you are going to use. Will be VERY expensive.

Reactions: MentalParadox
It might, I'll have to look into that.

One other question: these very long charger cables, where might I get those? Are they long enough to reach the fourth floor of your average apartment building?

Irrelevant first: Well, our average apartment buildings dont's have four floors... Usually, they have three floors.

A level 1 charging can be done just using a very long extension cord even though it's not recommended.
I think you may not like to use an extension cord for L2 charging. But Evannex sells a 10-m 240V NEMA 14-50 extension cord.

You would have to build one from cable and the best connectors you can afford. And you must use heavy wires to avoid loss. The same size wires as go to the outlet you are going to use. Will be VERY expensive.

I'd add that the wires and connectors on a high power extension cord must be supergood not just to avoid loss, but to avoid TOTAL loss (like both the car and the house loss).

Okay, guess that plan's off the table. Gotcha! XD
Check with online power loss calculator, looks like with 50m cable and 3.5mm diameter loss will be about 8% with aluminum cable and about 5% with copper. Which is not that much. Especially if you can get off peak night electricity tariff for half price.
This calculation is based on 32amps, you can get them from electric stove outlet if you have one.

Reactions: MentalParadox