Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Owner with questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it leaves me confused then think about how many Teslas they could sell if they really tried hard to sell them. Yes what I am looking at is only about $50K+ (LR dual motor), but short of the performance version, that's what I want.

They sell every Model 3 they make except for a few orphans in various locations whose specific configurations couldn't get matched up with buyers. They will sell them in the first month of the next quarter. No big deal.

That's how compelling the product is. As the company's production continues to increase at an impressive pace, Tesla will adjust and adapt as they always have. It's just that it's currently not a priority. They are not holding anyone's hand or kissing their butt because it wouldn't help them one bit.

If you don't buy it, someone else will. You can't get anything else from other manufacturers that is even remotely similar

Last edited:
I'm a new owner myself, and still getting used to the car. But if you find the car too low, a lift kit exists which will raise it 1.75".

MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

I bought this kit myself but haven't installed it yet. (For different reasons.) Also the seats are very good, with highly-adjustable lumbar support (higher/lower as well as in/out). The seats themselves also move up and down.

As you know already, it's a powerful car. You can turn regenerative braking to low, and you can set it to "chill mode", but it will still be quite jumpy if you ask it to be. In the first few days, I am finding that my driving with this car has smoothed out very quickly. You may also prefer 18" wheels for a "less road-gripping/smoother" ride.

I'm old enough that no car I own will help my social status so I don't need the big rims or the second motor. :D (Although I like range, so I opted for the big battery with one motor, which is only available used now.) But if any car can boost your image, this one will. What other car will earn the respect of the wealthy elite and the hippies at the same time?

The navigation is outstandingly good, but it's not super-simple. You CAN install a Garmin pretty easily. If I were to do that, I'd place it where the phones normally go. Personally I've been using Garmins for years, and I rather miss the "lower down 3D" look of its navigation screen, but I'll probably get used to this.

Reactions: vickh
The sales people vary tremendously from borderline competent to complete idiots - no problem changing to one that is helpful (if you could only find one) There are good ones in Palo Alto - but that doesn't help you much
Where you live you don't have this choice but I ended up going to a sales center 30 minutes away rather than 10 minutes b/c the close one (both sales and service) were so bad.
I had an Altima and find the Tesla lower and ride in the 3 is definitely less smooth (the shocks are much stiffer and less comfortable in the 3 esp. on the lousy roads we have around here)
Has you wife tried tempur foam like cushions for sitting on (even if the seat is good none conforms like the molding ones).
If you drive to a supercharger you may find someone at least willing to let your wife try to get in and out since they have to be there for 10-30 minutes anyway.
As for PGE - yeah they are robbers but you may not need an electrician - if you can charge near an electric dryer you can just buy a splitter, plug the Tesla into one and the dryer into the other plus - easy (I can't use both at the same time but depending on your situation you may be able to).
As for nav - it varies (I think sometimes the lte connection is slow or drops), usually it's fine and gives speech cues before and at the turns but not consistently IME. The other day it was really bad telling me to go left then instantly to take exit on R!!! Then it was really bad around areas in San Jose and Santa Cruz (but usually came back - once I had to use my phone for nav b/c the 3 was just out - also happened in Half Moon Bay too), but in the S Bay I don't usually have these problems.

If you want a car right away, look at inventory cars. Look at https://tezz.la, and if you find one in your area, you can drive off with it as soon as the paperwork clears. If you order one factory-fresh, you're at the mercies of the alignment of your choices in options and design, and production queueing.

Thanks. What I was wondering about "in stock" cars - was whether they may be returns or cars refused by customers that found problems.
The mileage on some of them was more than 2 or 3 miles. In red there was only one left with the config that I want that had less than 25 miles. That makes me wonder where they have been.

The other question would be if I found one ... say ... at Fremont. Do I have to go to Fremont to pick it up? Or will they transfer it to their San Francisco "store" for me to pick up there?

I'm a new owner myself, and still getting used to the car. But if you find the car too low, a lift kit exists which will raise it 1.75".

MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

I bought this kit myself but haven't installed it yet. (For different reasons.) Also the seats are very good, with highly-adjustable lumbar support (higher/lower as well as in/out). The seats themselves also move up and down.

As you know already, it's a powerful car. You can turn regenerative braking to low, and you can set it to "chill mode", but it will still be quite jumpy if you ask it to be. In the first few days, I am finding that my driving with this car has smoothed out very quickly. You may also prefer 18" wheels for a "less road-gripping/smoother" ride.

I'm old enough that no car I own will help my social status so I don't need the big rims or the second motor. :D (Although I like range, so I opted for the big battery with one motor, which is only available used now.) But if any car can boost your image, this one will. What other car will earn the respect of the wealthy elite and the hippies at the same time?

The navigation is outstandingly good, but it's not super-simple. You CAN install a Garmin pretty easily. If I were to do that, I'd place it where the phones normally go. Personally I've been using Garmins for years, and I rather miss the "lower down 3D" look of its navigation screen, but I'll probably get used to this.

Thanks for the link! Will having that installed void the Tesla warranty?

I checked out a friend's Honda accord - agreed it's not the same quality as a Tesla - but it seemed even lower to the ground. I think my wife gets uncomfortable when her knees end up above her waist - like in a Porsche. Having had them for many years, they are not comfortable cars. It was stupid for me to buy the last one.

Around here an M3 will not impress anyone. There are Tesla's everywhere - along with Maseratis, all sorts of high end Benz variants, - you name it. I'm to old to want to impress anyone anyway!

I wasn't that concerned with the ride - in terms of road bumps. That doesn't bother her.

Will having that installed void the Tesla warranty?

I don't absolutely-for-sure know the answer, but I'm going with no.

I actually need to modify my car quite a bit. (It's going to be a driving school car so it needs passenger pedals. That's also why I'm lifting it, to make it higher than curbs.) I told Tesla about my intentions and they confirmed those mods won't void the warranty, BUT... for example if my modifications cause the accelerator pedal to break off, I'm sure that wouldn't be covered.

Likewise if the lift kit messed up steering or suspension they wouldn't cover that. But this seems highly unlikely. According to the lift guy I'm gonna use, it's relatively dummy-proof for anyone who follows the instructions and has lifted vehicles before. (4x4 shops, but also most any mechanic who has access to a car lift and knows how to avoid puncturing the batteries on a hydraulic lift.)

The car isn’t “sports car low” but it’s pretty low to many people especially someone with back and joint issues. I would NOT buy a model 3 in your case. Wait for the Model Y. The model 3 is low and the roofline is low as well so may need to stoop lower to fit in. Do your poor wife a favor and get a CUV like the model Y. Also the ride quality isn’t something you would call ultra comfortable. You feel the road. I have the 18 wheels by the way. It reminds me of the sport suspension in my bmw. But it’s not a car that has a soft suspension.

If you are going to SoCal and your wife is there I’ll let you take a ride and have her sit in it. Just use my referral code lol.

Not to get into TMI territory, but I have reasons why waiting for a new model is not in my deck of cards. My wife and I rode in the back seat of a friend’s back seat Porsche Macan tonight. It is an SUV, but the ride is stiff and the seats terrible. I was actually surprised that the suspension was as stiff as past 911’s I’ve owned. My wife had no problem in it. And you could feel every bump that thing went over.

My wife got annoyed with me tonight and said, “just don’t get a sports car and it will be fine! If I got an M3,
I’d get the 18” wheels and put on some really good tires. I just need it not to have sports car seating. If she really has a problem with it, I’ll either contemplate retuning it or getting a second car (actually 3rd) to drive her.
She’s basically in bad pain even lying in bed, but she gets around and does no sit down, lie down or rest.
There will be a learning curve, but I think she can handle it. I think that what most people have said about the Model 3 is correct - it can be comfortable. You just have to drive it right.

I also rode in a new BMW 5 series sedan about a week ago. It was stiff too. But thanks for the offer. Wont be in So Cal for a while.

1) the car is low so climbing in with leg/back problems could be a issue. The car also runs sporty, so the suspension is stiff. Your wife will feel the bumps in the road. The only way to find out it so borrow/rent an M3 and take a ride for a couple of hours so your wife can decide if the car is comfortable. Of course, the 7 day trial is also available, but dunno if the state refunds your reg fees & sales taxes.

2) Jerky is a matter of getting used to the pedal. It is very sensitive and you can feather it and it will barely move. Also, you can set the car in Chill mode will will reduce the jerkiness (and takeoff when stomping on the pedal!).

3) NAV works fine, and will speak to you. Haven't had a problem.

Thanks again. Someone earlier measured a Mercedes E320 and found the M3 to be only 1/2” lower than the Mercedes. Yes the car is stiff, but definitely not sports car stiff.
I dunno. I hear two distinct takes on the M3. Some people say it is a rough ride and low - others say it isn’t. I’m not sure what to make of that.

The car felt heavy to me - and it is. The ride seemed different, not cushy but not stiff. And I have a sensitive butt that will feel it.

I just wonder if the low dash makes people feel and see different things. I’m getting confused now! Thanks for your input.

It would definitely help if Tesla let me have the car for an extra hour.

Is the low height, not low height - a matter of perception? The dashboard is easily 3+ inches lower than any other car. But that can make an illusion of a low car. The people that measure find it really isn’t low. And the M3 seats adjust high.

just a thought, because I hear mixed messages in this thread. Are there published figures of ground to seat for major cars? That would answer this in a nutshell. Aside from that - every car seat is different anyway. And everyone’s butt is different. Perhaps this needs to be done scientifically! Thanks.

BTW — I just checked Tesla’s online order page. The only LR available is dual motor. Someone mentioned single motor RWD with LR battery. I couldn’t find it. Just curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78 and KenC
BTW — I just checked Tesla’s online order page. The only LR available is dual motor. Someone mentioned single motor RWD with LR battery. I couldn’t find it. Just curious.

That was me. It's a long-range rear-wheel drive (LR RWD). Its range is 325 miles, not 310 miles, and it's less expensive than the 2-motor models and still does zero to 60 "too fast for us old folks". It also comes with the premium interior... so other than the extra motor which provides all-wheel-drive and a bit more acceleration at the cost of some range, nothing is missing. (You may miss all wheel drive if you drive in some weather conditions, but I'm in California.)

Since mine is for a business I got mine through Tesla fleet sales, at a time when they had stopped selling them publicly, even off-menu. They told me they were going to make the final 100 or so for the USA, (to get rid of a few parts I guess) so I got on that list.

Last I checked, a few still existed "new" in inventory in some parts of the USA, but it's been a week and they're selling fast so that's probably no longer true. But you can still find them "used" but with fewer than 1,000 miles on them. (Test drive cars or dealership cars I assume.)

Try this link, but then change the zip code to your own.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

That was me. It's a long-range rear-wheel drive (LR RWD). Its range is 325 miles, not 310 miles, and it's less expensive than the 2-motor models and still does zero to 60 "too fast for us old folks". It also comes with the premium interior... so other than the extra motor which provides all-wheel-drive and a bit more acceleration at the cost of some range, nothing is missing. (You may miss all wheel drive if you drive in some weather conditions, but I'm in California.)

Since mine is for a business I got mine through Tesla fleet sales, at a time when they had stopped selling them publicly, even off-menu. They told me they were going to make the final 100 or so for the USA, (to get rid of a few parts I guess) so I got on that list.

Last I checked, a few still existed "new" in inventory in some parts of the USA, but it's been a week and they're selling fast so that's probably no longer true. But you can still find them "used" but with fewer than 1,000 miles on them. (Test drive cars or dealership cars I assume.)

Try this link, but then change the zip code to your own.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

I think it’s not much difference between the LR RWD and the LR AWD. Didn’t they drop the price of the AWD when they made it the only LR option? I live in California too, but I’d prefer AWD anyway. I also like to have acceleration when I need it. People around here really drive badly!

I think I will go for an order - because I really don’t want to risk the possibility of getting a car that someone has rejected. I’m sure those just go back “for sale.” Then again, I’ve got to assume that the production is getting better at this point. But, I don’t understand why they say “under 2 weeks” when it really is 3, 4, or more. They won’t sell less cars if people knew the real wait.

I did go online last night and schedule another test drive today at 3pm. The salesman I used before is off today (so I don’t have a problem), and I won’t be a “deer in the headlights” when testing the thing. I’ll tell the (new) sales person to choose a route that is representative of real driving (not windy roads to show off the car capability), run the nav and shut off the damn music! This way I can figure out for myself if the car will possibly be OK for my wife. I can bring a tape measure and measure the height. It’s definitely not a sports car. I still don’t understand why there are so many varied opinions as to the comfort of the car and ride.

what I remember from my original test drive was that it is heavier than most smaller sedans, but uses that weight to to its advantage. The suspension seemed a little stiff, but the flip side was that you didn’t get the “cruise ship” effect where the suspension was so loose that you floated all over the place.

The only thing that could disappoint my own needs would be if the nav required constant looking at the screen. I know that newer navs tend to be less blabby - but there are many instances where they need to be. Not everything is a freeway. Phones Nav apps all are pretty blabby - and its unfortunate that the M3 doesn’t have CarPlay. That would take the burden off Tesla when making a Nav system. If they use Google map’s maps - then why can’t they use Google maps nav too? HOV lanes are overrated. I hear on this forum that when cell coverage goes out, Nav can get a bit flaky. A yearly update of offline maps would fix that. In fact, it’s pretty basic. I get lost very easily - far worse than most people! Well, I’ll see when driving today.

I still don’t understand why there are so many varied opinions as to the comfort of the car and ride.

Frankly, because different people have different preferences. One person's "nice and firm" and another's "it's like sitting on concrete"; one person's "nice and soft" is "smothering and grabby". As for the ride, if you're used to the "boat of car" feeling, a firmer suspension can feel, if you'll forgive the pun, shocking. I was coming from a relatively small Prius C and was for a moment slightly put off by the stiffer suspension, but I was able to get used to it quite quickly. I'd just suggest giving speed bumps more respect than you otherwise might.

it is heavier than most smaller sedans, but uses that weight to to its advantage

It also is zippy enough to make the weight not matter- the car acts like it's on a catapult whenever you put your foot down. As you say, though, the weight is an advantage on turns.

The only thing that could disappoint my own needs would be if the nav required constant looking at the screen

I too can get lost in areas I don't go often (and sometimes in areas I do); that said the nav puts its directions in the top left of the nav area, right next to the speedometer, so your next turn is never more than a glance away.

If they use Google map’s maps - then why can’t they use Google maps nav too? HOV lanes are overrated.

My understanding is that they licensed Google's map imaging, but the routing is not done through Google because it's also tying into your car's analytics to determine range, rerouting to superchargers, and providing state of charge estimations for your destination and round trip. It also seems to account for changes in elevation, which I'm not entirely sure is in the Google Maps (as distinct from Google Earth) API.

when cell coverage goes out, Nav can get a bit flaky. A yearly update of offline maps would fix that.

If the car's actual maps are baked into internal storage (and I do not know for certain whether this is the case), you should be okay; I think it only reaches out to LTE for the images and traffic conditions.

Hi Jonquillo,
I just purchased my model three and love it, my suggestion would be to test drive the car for the two hour window or better yet, ask to borrow for the weekend. I have a friend who opted to borrow for the weekend, then you would have the opportunity to drive the car, increase your skills, decide if chill mode is for you and give your wife a couple of opportunities to sit in and ride if she choses. Good luck, I hope you both love it as much as I do.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
Well I got back from Test ride #2 - and learned a lot. Bottom line - if you are uncertain after 1 test, go for another! This time, I turned regen braking off, but left chill off too. Deal with one thing at a time. I figure that I will get the hang of regen in time, so a test was not a good time to evaluate it. It did great!

I first took my iPhone and measured the distance from the floor to the front lip of the seat - with the seat raised and put toward the back of the car. I got 18" at the outside corner. I measured my Mercedes E320 and it was 18 1/2" - basically no difference. I did tend to hit my head getting in and out, but the Model S was worse.

The car drove much easier with regen off. It allowed me to take it on city streets and forget freeways. By the end, I probably could have put regen back on. It's what I learned here - one foot does most of the work. If I can't learn to drive well in standard setting, I know my wife will deal with regen off and everything else on. Also "standard" mode.

The suspension was on the stiff side (yes - speed bumps slowly!). But it was not much more bumpy than a Mercedes C-Class. And the M3 I drove had the 19" wheels. I already knew that with the proper settings, it could rival the performance of a Porsche 911 (or close). It can also function as a well tuned sedan. With a little practice (and setting regen back on), it will be much better than any old high-end sedan.

The nav talked a lot. It told me of turns before and at the turn. I had to be in regular streets for that to be working well. Between that and the big screen, I had no problem getting where I wanted. I liked the way I could just poke the screen and navigate to that location. I feel like a nut talking to my car - so I don't yet feel comfortable doing those things.

The guy showing me the car was a bit of an ass when we started out. I kind of worked on him politely and he loosened up. I think the problem was that I tend to dress like a slob. T-shirts, jeans and old running shoes. People selling cars expect more. Sorry, I dress to feel comfortable! I don't even own a tie.

When the guy loosened up he let me know that he got all of $100 if he sold the car! I couldn't believe it. What is Tesla's problem? When people actually drive these things they become like me - and will do anything to find a way to buy one. If the guy showing you is a stiff - you won't understand the car and walk away. I saw lots of people going for test rides on a Sunday afternoon - getting out of the car not looking very happy. There was too much car for anyone to absorb in 30 minutes, especially if you haven't driven one before. Most people want to feel like you know what you are buying - irrespective of price. The sales reps don't even get discounts to buy their own Teslas. Nothing. No wonder it takes a lot of perseverance to buy one of these things. This forum probably sells more cars than anything else.

I was told that if I put an order in before Q4, Tesla would cancel it and tell me to order again. So I have to order on Tuesday or later. I was told that Tesla did not want outstanding orders that could not be delivered by end of Q3. Strange way of accounting, but I can wait a couple of days.

The only thing that hit me was that the Model S was (albeit kind of big for me) - a real spaceship. I hit my head more, but it did seem like more car. It's hard for me to justify another $30K for the Model S given I drive only 5K+ miles per year. If the extra $30K includes full self drive - then it's more reasonable. I'd need self drive to get it into my garage and not hit something. A Model X seemed like a monster - and I am way past having kids or large families. So it's probably the Model 3.

The sales guy was honest about the delivery time too. He said a month was more realistic. Even if it was in stock in Fremont, it would take a while to get it in SF (or even Fremont). So M3 it is - probably on Tuesday. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
....The guy showing me the car was a bit of an ass when we started out. I kind of worked on him politely and he loosened up. I think the problem was that I tend to dress like a slob. T-shirts, jeans and old running shoes. People selling cars expect more. Sorry, I dress to feel comfortable! I don't even own a tie.

When the guy loosened up he let me know that he got all of $100 if he sold the car! I couldn't believe it. What is Tesla's problem? When people actually drive these things they become like me - and will do anything to find a way to buy one. If the guy showing you is a stiff - you won't understand the car and walk away. I saw lots of people going for test rides on a Sunday afternoon - getting out of the car not looking very happy. There was too much car for anyone to absorb in 30 minutes, especially if you haven't driven one before. Most people want to feel like you know what you are buying - irrespective of price. The sales reps don't even get discounts to buy their own Teslas. Nothing. No wonder it takes a lot of perseverance to buy one of these things. This forum probably sells more cars than anything else.

I was told that if I put an order in before Q4, Tesla would cancel it and tell me to order again. So I have to order on Tuesday or later. I was told that Tesla did not want outstanding orders that could not be delivered by end of Q3. Strange way of accounting, but I can wait a couple of days.

....The sales guy was honest about the delivery time too. He said a month was more realistic. Even if it was in stock in Fremont, it would take a while to get it in SF (or even Fremont). So M3 it is - probably on Tuesday. Thanks everyone!

I saw you had a 3pm test drive and was wondering how it went. Truncated your post to reply but really happy that the regen/chill settings suggested made it easier to initially drive for you and that Nav directions were to your needs as well. I think it was important that you got the extra time in the car. So sounds like Model 3 is for you and glad you think it will work for your wife too...and if not you know about the 7-day return but hope you don't need it. It's really a fun car and I think you already know that ;). BTW I just got my v10 software update today and went out to play around with a few of the features. Love this car is all I can say. It's stays exciting and for the most part I think people will agree it gets better as time goes on (except for those Model S hold outs on an old version software!). I'm sure you will also come to appreciate the TeslaCam/Sentry Mode dashcam software. V10 just added the rear camera to what get's recorded.

Yes, Tesla is a different auto company. Elon has never liked the model of negotiating for a better price and that customers weren't on a level playing field and two people could walk in at the same time and buy the same car and walk out paying different prices. So from what I've heard even the employees pay the same as regular customers. He said no special deals for his family or even his mom. And yes the car does sell itself and I'm sure the new tech for some people will either be captivating and worth learning or will be more than they feel comfortable with. Eventually that will all probably change as more manufacturers try to come closer to what Tesla has been offering on many fronts. In the meantime Elon has told investors and the market that they are not hurting for sales and have more orders than production can meet. I do think people sitting on the fence will think about the car and maybe like you will come back for more of a look and another test drive. Lots to learn on the internet and articles have been more favorable because they can't deny the appeal and love people have for the cars.

BTW t-shirt, jeans and running shoes is part of California life style here in the bay area so probably not as off-putting as you might think. Lots of people with the means who dress similarly.

Kind of surprised to hear about a late order now getting kicked out. Don't think anyone has said that that I've read. I know the 2K supercharger miles goes away after 9/30 (unless extended but don't think so) but you had to have taken delivery for that to be redeemed. Maybe there is a new rewards program that will be announced for sales placed on or after 10/1 so wanted to see you qualify under that. As for delivery, if they are sold out of your Model 3 LR AWD red/black interior/18 inch wheel config now, it's possible that won't be set up to go into production for a few weeks. Things we don't have any real feel for timing on or what order trims get manufacturered. And cars will start being produced for overseas orders now too.

Well sounds like a productive afternoon and you're one step closer to wearing a Tesla grin :D. Considering your statement "When people actually drive these things they become like me - and will do anything to find a way to buy one."...I think you almost there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78
You're welcome. I will order, and the wait could be long or short. It probably helps to be local. I'll need the time to get power set up here. I think I'll get the 19" wheels as they did look better. I test drove a red with 19" today and it was comfortable. Red probably needs silver wheels. White (my 2nd choice) can work well with dark wheels.

Again thanks very much to everyone for all their help.

Congratulations! Welcome to the family! Hope the wife loves the ride!

FYI regarding delivery -- my sister in Bay Area bought on August 3, told August 22 delivery date, and took actual delivery on September 8.

Which wheels did you go with? Driving the first miles on 18" aeros felt so harsh on bumpy Chicago roads that I considered MPP suspension like others mentioned. For now I've decreased tire pressure to 40PSI.

Last edited:
Thanks. Luckily, without freezing temps, the roads are “passable” around here. Less so in San Francisco because they never fix them. I will definitely set tires to 40lb, but am not sure if that will set off TPMS. It can get cold here in the winter - to upper 30’s during the night. No heat in garage. So I wonder.

The big irony is that I am not really ready to take delivery of the vehicle. Illness in the family is such that I’m not sure I will be able to make it on Wednesday to pick it up. If I can, I can leave it in the garage here until I am ready to play with it. Tesla told me I go back into the “wait mode” if not Wednesday. They will cancel the order if ai cannot pick up. Unfortunately, my responsibilities could prevent me from getting there. Tesla refused to hold it even for a day!

I’ve got 18” aero’s on it which I will take off the covers and add the small hubcap. Still worried that the ride will be too rough. What is an MPP Suspension, and will it void the Tesla warranty? I have heard that 40 lb tire inflation works wonders.