Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential PR nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder what the selection process is for selecting people to attend October 9th event. Reading threads some with reservations for model x and some without reservations selected. Even some without a reservation or car. I know not everyone can be invited but it does seem somewhat arbitrary. For instance I am aware of an owner with a model S, a roadster, model X reservation and 40,000 shares of stock who isn't invited. Why alienate such a strong Tesla supporter. Perhaps stating the selection criteria would be useful for those left out.

Model S and Model X signature? My understanding is that sig Xs are getting invites but Tesla's internal intelligent chaos leads to people not being invited. I could be wrong. Anyway, as bonnie wrote, if you want to be there, just call and ask where your invitation is.

Last edited:
I don't believe there will be a livestream of this event.

That surprises me. I'm wondering what is giving you that impression? The press was invited, and it certainly doesn't sound like an intimate gathering.
Do you think it is because they may have their own media production crew putting together something for release at a later time?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Canuck viewpost-right.png

40,000 x $255 = $10,200,000

I wouldn't worry about him/her not getting invited.

What is the meaning of this comment?? Can you expand on it?

It was my lame attempt at humour:

The OP was concerned about his friend who held 40,000 shares of TSLA not getting an invite. I pointed out that those shares are worth over $10M so he shouldn't worry about not getting an invite.

It may be that nearness to Hawthorne, California is a significant factor in determining who to invite.

This theory would not explain Model S owners from Europe getting invitations, while Model S owners and Model X reservation holders from PA - not.

I am a huge fan of the company, but I have to say that any attempts for a rational explanation of the selection of invitees ring hollow to me after everything that I've read on this Forum. It just appears that members of Tesla's engineering team are doing much better job that their fellow employees from marketing...

Having said that, I think that answer to the question posed in the name of this thread is NO. People that were not invited will move on, and this unfortunate mistake will be forgotten. I just hope that marketing department will do a better job next time.

I went to the supercharger announcement and the kick off party for the cross country team last year. We live close enough that it is a 30 minute drive. The factory tour in October 2011 and test ride was a big deal--definitely worth a plane ticket and hotel room. I did not attend and was not invited to the model S or model X launch/reveal so I cannot speak of those events. The events in Hawthorne are outside in the parking lot. The parking lot is adjacent to the design center. Since it is next to SpaceX, there are random rocket parts in the parking lots. The have lots of snacks and drinks. They dress up the parking lot with potted plants and nice furniture. The theater style lighting makes it look pretty cool. Attendance is probably limited to about 250 people. One really cool part of it is seeing lots of Teslas in the parking lot, some with interesting aftermarket options. The temperature Thursday evening will probably be in the 70s since it has been hot lately in So. Cal.

At the supercharger event, they had a giant shroud over the supercharger sign/thingy. I think they had a countdown to drop the shroud and nothing happened. After a couple of retries, they finally were able to get the cover off. The videos they post later will make the event look much more professional

I am guessing they sent out invites to signature model S and X owners and then a couple of days later sent out invites to folks like me that live less than 50 miles away--as a local model S owner, I am a crowd filler. I would not get too upset about not getting invited. Despite my jaded view, I am excited to see what they will reveal and have my wife's permission to bring a checkbook along.

I went to the supercharger announcement and the kick off party for the cross country team last year. We live close enough that it is a 30 minute drive. The factory tour in October 2011 and test ride was a big deal--definitely worth a plane ticket and hotel room. I did not attend and was not invited to the model S or model X launch/reveal so I cannot speak of those events. The events in Hawthorne are outside in the parking lot.

No, the Model X launch event at Hawthorne was inside the the Space X building - with test rides outside.

Be aware that this event is at the Hawthorne airport, not the nearby design studio. Should have lots of space available. The last event I went to (battery swap at the design studio), they never did ask my name, etc. I just showed up in my Model S and all was OK...

I did not get an invite as an EU Sig X holder, but I also had the "Send me Tesla updates" unchecked in My Profile at teslamotors.com, so I expect the latter to be the reason. In any case, I wouldn't mind them preferring inviting locals over me, as the likelihood of attending from far away is quite small.

No matter, though. While tempting (and I'm pretty sure I could get an invite by asking), I can't really take the time and expense to fly from Europe for this. Had it been in, say, New York I might actually have been crazy enough to go, but the west coast is about as far away as it gets for me. I will let others enjoy this one. :)

Invitations are hard. I do agree with some that it is important to get the logic of invitations right, so that the recipients have a reasonable chance at understanding who and why was invited. I can't really say "Send me Tesla updates" is something where I personally expected event invitations to fall into (I thought the updates would be more generic news, glorified spam you know), but I guess someone else might have been offended by the contrary. Maybe they need more granularity in the email options. I now turned on the updates to see what they might be emailing me.

Just friendly pondering, I'm not personally critical of Tesla's approach on this, but I do sympathize with those who felt strongly over this, though. Tesla is succeeding in creating emotional bonds and that is a good thing for both them and us - and they would be/are wise to make sure they take those feelings into account. I'm sure they are reading us, so this feedback should be helpful for them.

I am looking forward to hopefully learning more when I can start speccing the X.

I live in Norway, have EU Model X Signature and Production reservation, attended when Elon and Strobe was In Oslo. (Friend with S reservation got invite and I was his +1.
This time invite recived, in the first group.

I am quite impulsive, have time of from work, (bad combination) so got airplain tickets to LAX and Hotel Rom booked, before I realised what I had done.
Hope Thursday is worth 26 hours airplain flight. (Roundtrip)
It is direct flights from Amsterdam, London, Stockholm..... and quite cheep compared to the price for the car. (I travel from Oslo thought Stockholm)

I live in Norway, have EU Model X Signature and Production reservation, attended when Elon and Strobe was In Oslo. (Friend with S reservation got invite and I was his +1.
This time invite recived, in the first group.

I am quite impulsive, have time of from work, (bad combination) so got airplain tickets to LAX and Hotel Rom booked, before I realised what I had done.
Hope Thursday is worth 26 hours airplain flight. (Roundtrip)
It is direct flights from Amsterdam, London, Stockholm..... and quite cheep compared to the price for the car. (I travel from Oslo thought Stockholm)

Yep, it definitely could be done - can't say I didn't consider it. :) Good for you that you are taking the time!

From what I read in one of the threads here, the venue logistics sound like they would cap the event at something like 1000 attendees. Given that there are close to 2000 Signature X reservation holders globally, by simple math at most half would have received an invite. That's before factoring employees, VIPs, Roadster/S customers, media, etc. Going from this logic it would make sense to invite a small number of non-Sig owners and even prospective buyers, just so that the common folk have a chance to visit the chocolate factory.

Personally I would have been pretty upset if I were an X Sig reservation and didn't get invited, but at least half of the other Sig X owners won't be able to attend either. A much larger venue aside, nothing much Tesla can do about it. Hopefully this helps assuage some of the frustration.