Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential quality issue of seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if I'm nitpicking or not so I'm hoping to get feedback from the group as to how their model 3s are doing regarding the seats.

I did reach out to Tesla service and they said they needed the engineering team to look into it in order to give feedback on how to proceed. That's totally fine with me and I'll update this post with their comments when they get back to me.

Basically I'm experiencing two minor issues with my seats. In the back, on the driver's side, some of the material is very loose around the seat cushion. It does appear attached, but there is a ripple of extra material that extends the length of the seat. I'm worried that it might snag on something or get abused over time by the kids and cause a rip. It's hard to photographer but I would say there is a good 1/4" extra material that is coming loose.

The second issue is the front driver's seat. I'm getting wear lines/creases in spots of the seat that I've never experienced with other cars. My last 3 cars have had leather or some kind of synthetic leather like the model 3 and none of them showed any crease lines like that the entire time I've had the car. I'm starting to see them with only 1 month in of sitting on them. The picture I attached is after the car has been sitting overnight. These are permanent creases and I worry that overtime I'm going to have an issue with tears or rips. For context, I'm 6,2" 180 pounds, so I don't think my body type really should be stressing the material.

So the questions I was hoping to get feedback on from everyone is:

1) are your seats similar?
2) would you consider these legitimate issues?
3) if this is normal wear for Tesla seats does anyone have some pictures of how they look a few years down the line (model s/x obviously).

Thanks

IMG_20180605_112111.jpg IMG_20180605_112057.jpg IMG_20180605_112021.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm nitpicking or not so I'm hoping to get feedback from the group as to how their model 3s are doing regarding the seats.

I did reach out to Tesla service and they said they needed the engineering team to look into it in order to give feedback on how to proceed. That's totally fine with me and I'll update this post with their comments when they get back to me.

Basically I'm experiencing two minor issues with my seats. In the back, on the driver's side, some of the material is very loose around the seat cushion. It does appear attached, but there is a ripple of extra material that extends the length of the seat. I'm worried that it might snag on something or get abused over time by the kids and cause a rip. It's hard to photographer but I would say there is a good 1/4" extra material that is coming loose.

The second issue is the front driver's seat. I'm getting wear lines/creases in spots of the seat that I've never experienced with other cars. My last 3 cars have had leather or some kind of synthetic leather like the model 3 and none of them showed any crease lines like that the entire time I've had the car. I'm starting to see them with only 1 month in of sitting on them. The picture I attached is after the car has been sitting overnight. These are permanent creases and I worry that overtime I'm going to have an issue with tears or rips. For context, I'm 6,2" 180 pounds, so I don't think my body type really should be stressing the material.

3) if this is normal wear for Tesla seats does anyone have some pictures of how they look a few years down the line (model s/x obviously).

Thanks

View attachment 307136 View attachment 307137 View attachment 307139
Same issue with

Exact same issue with the driver’s seat after one month. Addressed it with SC. I have an entire seat replacement on the way due to a gap in the plastic seat shell on delivery, so hopefully a Gen 2 seat will fix this issue. Next will be the non matching front pax seat...‍♂️

Reactions: MB30

Thanks

View attachment 307136 View attachment 307137 View attachment 307139
My rear seats have the same issue. I don't think this is how they are supposed to be. Did you ever bring it back to Tesla SC to get their thoughts? FYI I have an earlier March build with the gen 1 seats.

My rear seats have the same issue. I don't think this is how they are supposed to be. Did you ever bring it back to Tesla SC to get their thoughts? FYI I have an earlier March build with the gen 1 seats.
I didn't bring it. They had me take pictures and send it to them. They said they were going to order me new seats but it takes 4-8 weeks. I need to follow up with them because I they've never gotten back to me but I've been too busy to find the time (new promotion, new baby etc... Lots of stuff going on).

I'm going to try and find time to follow up again and I'll report back.

I didn't bring it. They had me take pictures and send it to them. They said they were going to order me new seats but it takes 4-8 weeks. I need to follow up with them because I they've never gotten back to me but I've been too busy to find the time (new promotion, new baby etc... Lots of stuff going on).

I'm going to try and find time to follow up again and I'll report back.
Thanks! I'm also curious if you have gen 1 seats or not. Assuming you do, whether your replacement seats are gen 1 or gen 2 seats. Appreciate if you could report back!

Thanks! I'm also curious if you have gen 1 seats or not. Assuming you do, whether your replacement seats are gen 1 or gen 2 seats. Appreciate if you could report back!
Yeah. Gen 1 seats. I'll report back if they are the updated ones or not. I'm assuming they will be unless they have a stock of old seats? Not sure but I'll report back whenever they get swapped out. Knowing Tesla 4-8 weeks will be 8 - 12 lol

I hadn't given it much thought until reading this thread, but now that you mention it, I do see a small "ripple" in my passenger seat:
seat-ripple1.png

There are many things less than 100% perfect, but overall it is still the best car I have ever owned, and I figure a large part of what I paid went to the best battery and best motor technology in the universe, so I am trying not to "sweat" the little details like that.

Yeah. Gen 1 seats. I'll report back if they are the updated ones or not. I'm assuming they will be unless they have a stock of old seats? Not sure but I'll report back whenever they get swapped out. Knowing Tesla 4-8 weeks will be 8 - 12 lol
Just following up on this--did you get end up getting your rear seats replaced? and if so, did you get them replaced with gen 1 or gen 2 seats?

Just following up on this--did you get end up getting your rear seats replaced? and if so, did you get them replaced with gen 1 or gen 2 seats?
Hey I forgot about this thread. Sorry about that. Yes they replaced them about 3 weeks ago and they are the Gen 2 with more cushion. The front seat was also replaced as well. They did a nice job and it looks and feels much better. They we're very nice about it and didn't make me feel like I was nit picking

Hey I forgot about this thread. Sorry about that. Yes they replaced them about 3 weeks ago and they are the Gen 2 with more cushion. The front seat was also replaced as well. They did a nice job and it looks and feels much better. They we're very nice about it and didn't make me feel like I was nit picking
Great, thanks! I have an appointment to get them checked out this Friday so hopefully will end up with the same outcome.

CF0E5949-1CAC-49F4-9C98-F3CAB028BE7E.jpeg
I’m dragging this thread back. I was sitting in our new 3 on the passenger seat waiting for my wife to get in and noticed what looks like wear after only a couple hundred miles? Anyone else see this on theirs? Maybe I’m just nitpicking...

View attachment 366540 I’m dragging this thread back. I was sitting in our new 3 on the passenger seat waiting for my wife to get in and noticed what looks like wear after only a couple hundred miles? Anyone else see this on theirs? Maybe I’m just nitpicking...

I just picked my Model 3 up today and put about 80 miles on it with my wife and my front passenger seat looks the exact same now. Let me know. Both of us are smaller-average sized people.

I just picked my Model 3 up today and put about 80 miles on it with my wife and my front passenger seat looks the exact same now. Let me know. Both of us are smaller-average sized people.
I have 8000miles on mine. There are a few small creases that are similar to what the leather seats in my Mazda have. The Tesla’s though don’t seem to get worse the more I drive, unlike the leather. In short, I’m very happy with the Model 3 seats and their look/durability.