Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Red Flag warning in NorCal this weekend.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From PG&E’s PSPS website area:

PSPS Event 12/07/20:
5 counties impacted

Counties impacted: Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, Tulare, Tuolumne

NOTE: Typically, only part of a county is affected by a PSPS, not the entire county.

Affected tribal communities and tribal lands
Tuolumne Rancheria

Select a county to view shutoff details
Alameda is affected by (0) PSPS Events.
Contra Costa is affected by (0) PSPS Events.

Ok so storm watch all day. Now I have been peak usage from grid for hours. How do I turn this stuff off??? I even tried self powered.

Ok self powered did the trick. Took some time to apply
Screenshot_20201206-195707_Tesla.jpg

But I got SW when I had Weather Service Red Flag warnings before and no PSPS

PSPS is specific to PG&E. Storm Watch for the rest of the country is for Storms and Weather Service warnings.
Also, PGE can and has cut power without a PSPS notice being sent. And Powerwalls need time to charge (up to 4 hours). NWS Red Flag Warnings is what Tesla seems to be using to trigger StormWatch.

Also, PGE can and has cut power without a PSPS notice being sent. And Powerwalls need time to charge (up to 4 hours). NWS Red Flag Warnings is what Tesla seems to be using to trigger StormWatch.

StormWatch seems to be triggered by several different conditions, and it's never been clear to me if applying those conditions is automated or whether human intervention/judgement is involved.

Some other people have commented that they're not getting the benefit of their cost savings settings due to StormWatch filling up the batteries before solar production starts. Please do note that you're free to override StormWatch and re-enable it at a time of your choosing. I myself have done this on various occasions. Also remember that StormWatch events are fairly infrequent, so a day or two with less-than-optimal cost savings might be a reasonable trade-off for having full batteries in case of an outage (particularly during times of low solar production).

Bruce.

Also remember that StormWatch events are fairly infrequent, so a day or two with less-than-optimal cost savings might be a reasonable trade-off for having full batteries in case of an outage (particularly during times of low solar production).

Bruce.

That is exactly my take. I even put in backup only if PSPS or NWS warnings are close. Who cares about $5 or $10 compared to what you could lose in an outage

Reactions: jboy210
My Powerwalls are in Storm Watch and fully charged from the grid. Previously they were dropping to 20% every night as I don't have enough panels to keep things really charged during these winter months. System charged to 99% from the grid, I didn't have to do anything. Gotta say I love the feeling of being backed up.

Reactions: jboy210
My Powerwalls are in Storm Watch and fully charged from the grid. Previously they were dropping to 20% every night as I don't have enough panels to keep things really charged during these winter months. System charged to 99% from the grid, I didn't have to do anything. Gotta say I love the feeling of being backed up.

I change my Reserve to 50% in the winter

although it looks like the danger of a power failure here in the east bay is now remote (or was always remote) i am hesitant to turn off storm watch mode.

is turning it off a one-way trip, or if i were to re-enable it would the PW charge from the grid again (providing tesla still has SW turned on when i re-enable it?)

although it looks like the danger of a power failure here in the east bay is now remote (or was always remote) i am hesitant to turn off storm watch mode.

is turning it off a one-way trip, or if i were to re-enable it would the PW charge from the grid again (providing tesla still has SW turned on when i re-enable it?)

Pretty sure it would re-enable

I turn it on only when I want it to charge, then turn it off again. I did that yesterday and today to soak up some extra electrons into the PWs. This time of year, I have my Reserve at 75%, so there's not that much more that can actually go in.