Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Repair costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's g48, one could simply do an evans conversion and never have to worry about that service again. That is, if they don't make it easily serviceable. I also hope they release the service manuals. Do Mass. residents still need to pay for them? If so , how much are they?

Subscription options - $30 an hour, $300 a day, $350 a month, $3,000 a year. Not exactly AllDataDIY pricing, and not exactly targeted to being DIY friendly. I'm guessing you could figure out a way to download / screen capture the source.

Welcome | Tesla Service

If it's g48, one could simply do an evans conversion and never have to worry about that service again.

True, if you were outside of warranty coverage (over 8 years for the battery). Otherwise, you would have to honor the recommended service intervals to keep the warranty in force. Manufacturers don't recognize "extended drain" type intervals (Amsoil would be an example).

actually, from the info on here, tesla "recommends" the services be done, and don't require it to maintain warranty coverage. Also, I wonder if that falls under "modifications" where they need to prove the product used (and/or way it was used) damaged the car to refuse a warranty claim? I would imagine similarf to how a decent company would do it if you did your own services and didn't have the receipts or they faded.

Last edited:
actually, from the info on here, tesla "recommends" the services be done, and don't require it to maintain warranty coverage.

Go to page 108. Tesla is saying otherwise. In fact, their wording in this version of the manual (if it is the current one) is in violation of the Magnuson Moss Act in the US, if they are charging for service by a "Tesla Certified Technician". You can't require paid maintenance to keep a warranty in-force. They just haven't been sued over this...yet.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf

Go to page 108. Tesla is saying otherwise. In fact, their wording in this version of the manual (if it is the current one) is in violation of the Magnuson Moss Act in the US, if they are charging for service by a "Tesla Certified Technician". You can't require paid maintenance to keep a warranty in-force. They just haven't been sued over this...yet.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf

So to stay under warranty, you HAVE to take it in for a 12 months/12500 mile service interval (for unspecified "services") get the brake fluid changed every 2 years/25000 miles (on a car with seldom used brakes), but the coolant is every 5 years/62000 miles. How hasn't anyone caught this and at least brought it to tesla's attention? Like you said, this is illegal!

at $600 a year (or even $200), this WAYYY offsets the reduced operating cost of electric vs gas cars

I just LOVE how you HAVE to take the car in every year when the first service isn't specified until 2 years, which I've never even heard of another main line auto manufacturer requiring brake fluid to be changed, and are there any higher end daily driver type cars that require this every 2 years like this?

While I was under warranty, my saturn went in ONLY when I had a problem, never for service. the only time the dealership serviced my car (in 10 years) was when they changed my oil to mineral oil (I use high quality synthetic) I made sure that was the last time a dealership serviced my car. My wife's Jetta gets the transmission fluid serviced, and that's it. that's only because you need a special tool to fill it, and a VAGCOM, which I don't have.

Last edited:
How hasn't anyone caught this and at least brought it to tesla's attention? Like you said, this is illegal!

at $600 a year (or even $200), this WAYYY offsets the reduced operating cost of electric vs gas cars

You have to remember, up to this point, Tesla owners are $100K car purchasers. Buying prepaid service contracts and extended warranties is viewed very differently in the circles these owners run in. Same for high end BMW, and Mercedes buyers. Yes, I'm speaking in generalities as I'm sure there are exceptions to this. I doubt there are many purchasers of a Model S or X who are calculating costs on a pure money savings basis. You just can't make the math work vs. a Prius, etc.

The Model 3 will start to challenge this. Use the word "mass market", and it changes the game.

As you pointed out in your post. The $400-$800 DSG dealer service every 40,000 mi on a VW is a huge complaint of Jetta/Passat/Golf buyers.

This will be a big issue for Tesla. I intend to challenge it if it hasn't been addressed. In fact, it may be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't pay anyone to do a coolant / brake / differential flush/fill on any vehicle. I just won't. Nor will I buy/lease, and trade every 3 years before some of these become issues. I like my money more than that!

(BTW, you can use the "top fill" method to replace the fluid/filter on the Jetta. Google it. The transmission takes 4.6L of fluid and no VAG fill tool is required. It works fine).

my local dealership charges $200 for this service. Luckily I didn't have to pay for the first service since the dealership we bought it from promised all due services were completed when we bought the car (which I called them out on, and made them honor), and I planned on researching an appropriate DIY procedure before the next one is due in 4 or so years. I really want a Tesla, and I want to support Musk and reward him with my money so hopefully this truly innovative company can thrive, but it won't be at the expense of not being able to perform my own basic services.

hell, according to the manual, you can't even crack loose the coolant reservoir without losing warranty coverage.

I hope owners like you and I will be enough to change this culture, or like you said, I just might have to get a different car.

Reactions: 182RG