Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential solution for when software downloads take forever to finish or seem stuck

Hi. Like many, the software updates for my car have been taking forever to download. What took a few minutes a few months ago was now taking many hours or up to a day sometimes. I got an update today and wanted to download it. Saw the download starting and let it go, only to come back to the mobile app some time later and see it was stuck at 50%. Let another half hour (or more) go by, looked again and it was still at 50%... Then I realized that each time I opened the mobile app to check, it would say something like "25min since last seen", or whatever that message is... My car was asleep! After that, I left the mobile app open and checked often and, as if by magic, the percentage went up, the download finished and I was able to install. I looked at TeslaFi and was able to confirm that my car had fallen asleep two times in that period.

TL;DR: Our cars now fall asleep during the download. Keeping the car alive during that time should make the download finish in a timely manner.

Hope this helps someone!

iamnid

Dec 4, 2019
Riverside, CA
It isn't a magic solution. I've had it stall at 50% the last 3 or so updates. Today, I sat in my car while it was downloading the most recent update and it stalled out at 50% -- it stayed there for about an hour and I just left it alone. Obviously, sitting in the car, with the AC on and music playing, the car wasn't asleep yet it still stalled at 50%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I'm pretty certain the "stuck at 50%" thing is a bug. I've heard that there's an error check that happens at 50% too, so perhaps stalling is an indication that the download is corruyor something.

I have had my downloads stuck at 50% for days on multiple occasions, so I'm fairly certain it's not "doing some work" or whatever at that point.

They usually do complete, although I've also had luck soft rebooting. When the car comes back up the download starts over... flip a coin, sometimes it'll get stuck at 50% again and sometimes it'll just download all the way through.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC