Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential upcoming clean car discount changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Who knows what will happen but right ow it appears its working as intended, ute buyers stacked the decks by buying heaps before fees were introduced, so I suggest a healthy increase in polluting car fees, perhaps with an additional multiplier over 250g/km ?

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron

Who knows what will happen but right ow it appears its working as intended, ute buyers stacked the decks by buying heaps before fees were introduced, so I suggest a healthy increase in polluting car fees, perhaps with an additional multiplier over 250g/km ?
The Clean Car Discount is an excellent policy and it needs to be in place for at least 10 years to accelerate decarbonisation of the national fleet. The key is to create an affordable used EV market. Company fleet buyers need to get on board with this too.

No doubt the discount will be reduced to match the ~$60 million in feebates collected, but in reality the feebate should be increased on polluting vehicles.

Some people see all this as a “Tesla subsidy” but in reality it’s because they are the only volume EV maker, and if it was instead an “acceptable” carmaker like Toyota, then I’m sure folks would be all in favour.

Don't forget that next year dealers also have to start paying their own fees based on our much their average sold fleet is above the CO2 threshold. I think someone calculated if it was in place this year, Ford would have had to pay $20mil for all the Rangers and Everests they've sold (or bought credits from someone like Tesla). Combine that with the likes of Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and all the others selling those big SUVs/Utes and there's quite a lot of funding capable of coming in.

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli and Audietron
Don't forget that next year dealers also have to start paying their own fees based on our much their average sold fleet is above the CO2 threshold. I think someone calculated if it was in place this year, Ford would have had to pay $20mil for all the Rangers and Everests they've sold (or bought credits from someone like Tesla). Combine that with the likes of Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and all the others selling those big SUVs/Utes and there's quite a lot of funding capable of coming in.
We are less saving planet and more creating or boosting carbon credits economy...

How it is?
Ford/Audi/GM/etc. Buys carbon credits to continue building polluting cars...
Tesla sells those credits to make more money on already priced cars....
In parallel government collects money from buyers of polluting cars snd gives to EV owners....

Whole process, Noone actually invests anything to do cleanup or planting or improving environment...

Also Don't forget it's higher or same pollution developing EV cars

So technically, planet is just excuse or long goal... economy is immediate goal.

By the time or before we reach long goal, we may start dealing discarded battery pollution 🙄

Reactions: Steve_Chch
I mean, those companies don't want to be paying Tesla money because that just gives Tesla more money to build factories and increase their ability to compete.

Tesla can sell them for whatever they want, as long as it's cheaper than paying the government which still adds cost overheads and is the true motivator for a company like Ford or Toyota to do what they need to do to stop having to pay the government or for those credits.

Reactions: Audietron
I mean, those companies don't want to be paying Tesla money because that just gives Tesla more money to build factories and increase their ability to compete.

Tesla can sell them for whatever they want, as long as it's cheaper than paying the government which still adds cost overheads and is the true motivator for a company like Ford or Toyota to do what they need to do to stop having to pay the government or for those credits.
Tomato, Tomato... point is, nothing is actually good for environment out of entire clean credit schemes, same for clean car money... unless it's mandatory to use least half of it towards cleanup what's already done.