Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potentially buying a ‘17 90D that’s been garaged for 18 months but not plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I’m not a current owner, but there may be a situation opening up where I can buy a very low mileage (10k-15k) 2017 90D.

Basically, the owner has been abroad for at least 18 months and the car has sat untouched - and unplugged in - since he left. It’s clear that the entire car will be entirely discharged, including the 12v battery.

I‘ve googled around to see what the long term consequences are of drained batteries sitting for 18+ months but i can’t seem to find anything other than people talking about parking for a month or so.

What are the long term consequences or such a long time for the batteries to be completely dead? Am I likely looking at replacing the battery pack (along with the 12v)? Is that $15k? Am I likely replacing other parts as well? Should I be concerned about or running away from this car? What discount should I be looking for - like, at what price is it not really a bargain and just a reasonable price, and at what price does it not become worth it?

Amazingly, there is a Tesla service center not 3 blocks away. Would I have it towed there and have them check it out and report back the situation?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts!

I would try to get it 12v power before you buy it and see what state everything boots up in. You probably want to bring it to that service center if you buy it and have them swap the 12V battery even if the current one seems to hold a charge. The service center will check it out when it gets there and report any other issues.

The batteries are self protecting so the HV battery is likely at low charge but fine.

My 2018 75D build in August 2018, first owner took delivery of it September 2019, she leased it for one year, then I bought it. I spoke with the SC all they can tell me is their records show the 12v battery was replaced before the first owner took delivery of it because it sat idle for so long. But I always wondered what long term damage could have been caused with the battery not being charged for over a year and at 0 percent level. Also puzzled why my car didn’t leave their lot for over a year. My battery degradation is average right now I think. It’s 238 miles at 100% with 21k miles.

My 2018 75D build in August 2018, first owner took delivery of it September 2019, she leased it for one year, then I bought it. I spoke with the SC all they can tell me is their records show the 12v battery was replaced before the first owner took delivery of it because it sat idle for so long. But I always wondered what long term damage could have been caused with the battery not being charged for over a year and at 0 percent level. Also puzzled why my car didn’t leave their lot for over a year. My battery degradation is average right now I think. It’s 238 miles at 100% with 21k miles.

The HV pack has a very generous lower buffer.

If your range looks reasonable I would assume no damage has been done.

Hey everyone. I’m not a current owner, but there may be a situation opening up where I can buy a very low mileage (10k-15k) 2017 90D.

Basically, the owner has been abroad for at least 18 months and the car has sat untouched - and unplugged in - since he left. It’s clear that the entire car will be entirely discharged, including the 12v battery.

I‘ve googled around to see what the long term consequences are of drained batteries sitting for 18+ months but i can’t seem to find anything other than people talking about parking for a month or so.

What are the long term consequences or such a long time for the batteries to be completely dead? Am I likely looking at replacing the battery pack (along with the 12v)? Is that $15k? Am I likely replacing other parts as well? Should I be concerned about or running away from this car? What discount should I be looking for - like, at what price is it not really a bargain and just a reasonable price, and at what price does it not become worth it?

Amazingly, there is a Tesla service center not 3 blocks away. Would I have it towed there and have them check it out and report back the situation?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts!
How cheap?

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I feel better that the battery pack will be fine. I was just weirded out that I couldn't find anything official on the situation (which certainly much happen frequently enough) other than the scary "your battery may be damaged". Not much to parse there....like old school Apple Mac errors. Thanks everyone!

My 85 was self insured by the original owner who wrecked it pretty quickly. He did nothing for over a year and finally sold it to a guy who had the repairs made. I bought it with 38k miles on it and it's now at 240k - still the original battery and still has good range. I wouldn't worry.
Wow. I'm getting worried with my 2013 car and it only has 90k miles with a battery replaced at 13k and wondering if maybe I'm over thinking it. Are you worried about your battery dyeing?

Wow. I'm getting worried with my 2013 car and it only has 90k miles with a battery replaced at 13k and wondering if maybe I'm over thinking it. Are you worried about your battery dyeing?
My battery warranty expires in December of 2022, so I'm not worried till then! Actually, taking in a long road trip this summer. That, according to Jason hughes, is when the batteries tend to die. Maybe I'll get a new one!

Reactions: hpartsch