Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potentially dumb question: Steering wheel replaced by mobile service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My steering wheel was just replaced by mobile service under warranty due to bubbling of the leather. It was a simple fix (took 5 minutes) and everything looks good.

However, I checked operation of all the buttons and heated steering wheel just to be sure. I can't feel any difference in the heated steering wheel when on or off. Ambient temp is around 80 degrees, which isn't too hot IMO. Am I being ridiculous or should I be able to feel the heated steering wheel even at 80 degrees ambient? Just want to make sure it isn't messed up...thanks

Well turns out I was right and it wasn’t working but it is working now after a software update last night. Definitely can feel it for sure now. I guess the software update reset everything. Good to know I wasn’t crazy haha

Appreciate you following up and letting us know. I was wondering about how this was going to turn out. My model 3 doesnt have a heated steering wheel (our model Y does but there is no guarantee it works the same), so I didnt test / respond our model Y.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for closing the loop on it.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
My steering wheel was just replaced by mobile service under warranty due to bubbling of the leather. It was a simple fix (took 5 minutes) and everything looks good.

However, I checked operation of all the buttons and heated steering wheel just to be sure. I can't feel any difference in the heated steering wheel when on or off. Ambient temp is around 80 degrees, which isn't too hot IMO. Am I being ridiculous or should I be able to feel the heated steering wheel even at 80 degrees ambient? Just want to make sure it isn't messed up...thanks
I am trying to get my steering wheel replaced under warranty for bubbling of the leather. Service quoting me 1500! How if you get it done??

I am trying to get my steering wheel replaced under warranty for bubbling of the leather. Service quoting me 1500! How if you get it done??
A steering wheel is nowhere near $1,500, maybe a couple hundred at worst. Takes 5 minutes to replace. I submitted it in the app with photos and mobile service came and did it no questions asked. My M3 was less than a year old and had 20k miles on it for ref.

A steering wheel is nowhere near $1,500, maybe a couple hundred at worst. Takes 5 minutes to replace. I submitted it in the app with photos and mobile service came and did it no questions asked. My M3 was less than a year old and had 20k miles on it for ref.
They’re coming tmrw. Service app says $1500 estimate but I have not signed it. Maybe the person who comes will hook it up under warranty??

Or maybe I have to tell him it’s steering weird or something too?!?

Did you find any defect after replacing the steering wheel? My story got a bit crazy. I got 3 replacements - initially it was because there was wrinkles on the steering wheel upon taking delivery. Then the 1st replacement had lots of scratches and the heated function did not work. Then the 2nd replacement got a deep scratch not he plastic and the left scrolling wheel was stiffer than normal. The 3rd replacement, again, has lots of scratches and the airbag does not sit flat - one side is higher than the other side. The car is one month old and I am kind of feeling lost now, not sure what to expect. I was told those 3 were new parts. Should I request another service to replace it again? I don't want to be a crazy customer. I just want to get a new steering wheel that is free of defect. Am I too crazy and too picky or is the quality is just like that? I