Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pothole in Vidor Texas Took the P85 Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was going to be an awesome road trip note, but unfortunately instead it's a tale of caution. On mile ~800 of the trip, we followed the GPS directions to get off the highway to skip some traffic. Unfortunately the expected on ramp was closed, so we ended up on a poorly maintained stretch of feeder road just outside Vidor.

Right after the forced U-Turn so we didn't end up in the Neches river, I avoided a pothole only to hit another... And this one was bad. So bad, in fact, that we became one of three cars with our hazards on right after it due to damage to the cars. I thought I had popped a tire, but when I got out, it was much worse. My rear passenger tire is now at such a strong camber that it is rubbing the wheel well. :(

We have now been stranded for 2 hours while a tow truck drives in from Houston to pick us up and take us to the Tesla authorized repair shop.

Wish us luck.

f60846ad3ebee5ed68a0d5e6bac3e1be.jpg

Yikes. Sorry to hear.

A few years ago I hit a massive pot hole in my old Audi and it destroyed the wheel. Fortunately, the suspension components were all fine. Repair shop said the wheels are designed to crumple and absorb really bad hits before the energy is transferred to the far more expensive suspension and steering components. Here's hoping that's all the damage you encountered. Let us know.

"... that we became one of three cars with our hazards on right after it due to damage to the cars."

Sorry about what happened to your car.
How bad were the other cars hit?

This was going to be an awesome road trip note, but unfortunately instead it's a tale of caution. On mile ~800 of the trip, we followed the GPS directions to get off the highway to skip some traffic. Unfortunately the expected on ramp was closed, so we ended up on a poorly maintained stretch of feeder road just outside Vidor.

Right after the forced U-Turn so we didn't end up in the Neches river, I avoided a pothole only to hit another... And this one was bad. So bad, in fact, that we became one of three cars with our hazards on right after it due to damage to the cars. I thought I had popped a tire, but when I got out, it was much worse. My rear passenger tire is now at such a strong camber that it is rubbing the wheel well. :(

We have now been stranded for 2 hours while a tow truck drives in from Houston to pick us up and take us to the Tesla authorized repair shop.

Wish us luck.

f60846ad3ebee5ed68a0d5e6bac3e1be.jpg

Final Update - Took about a month to get the car back. The shop in Houston (Katy Coachworks) did an amazing job and the car looks new again. They ended up replacing the control arm, rim, tire, wheel well, parking brake, rear brake, shock tower, and painting the quarter panel. Total out of pocket for me was only my $1000 deductible, so not bad at all. The longest wait was for parts from Tesla - the actual labor was only about 9 hours, not bad at all.

you should send the $1000 bill to the city. send also the pictures of the pothole and the other cars that also pulled over to check for damages.

Final Update - Took about a month to get the car back. The shop in Houston (Katy Coachworks) did an amazing job and the car looks new again. They ended up replacing the control arm, rim, tire, wheel well, parking brake, rear brake, shock tower, and painting the quarter panel. Total out of pocket for me was only my $1000 deductible, so not bad at all. The longest wait was for parts from Tesla - the actual labor was only about 9 hours, not bad at all.

you should send the $1000 bill to the city. send also the pictures of the pothole and the other cars that also pulled over to check for damages.

No can do. :( Texas doesn't allow me to.

Filing a Claim
Will the City reimburse me for damage to my vehicle caused by a pothole or an object on a City street?
No. Texas law determines whether the City and other governmental entities in the State of Texas can pay for damage caused by a pothole or an object in the street. Under State law, the City is not liable for property damage caused by the condition of its streets.

Sorry to hear this but glad they were able to fix your car nicely. Replacing shock tower :crying: it must have been an unbelievable blow! I used to live in NYC, the pothole capital, and have have thus bent conutless rims. One time in a Volvo we hit such a mastodon hole on the GW bridge that the car flew all over the place and the exhaust system came off. Rows of cars with exploded tires and hazards on. t
I thought I'd seen the worst of the worst already but your accident is on a whole new level. The worst ones for me have been in the dark and rain, when you can't see, but just drive and hope for the best. Hopefully pothole avoidance comes in a future version of autopilot.

Last edited: