Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pothole in Vidor Texas Took the P85 Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Councils should take responsibilities of damage caused to cars because of poor road mantainence as we pay them soo soo much. Also that pot hole doesn't look too bad in the photo so I also believe Tesla should have some sort of responsibility for repair. Does make you wounder are the parts involved very close to the limit of the weight of the car. Hmmm got me thinking

This was going to be an awesome road trip note, but unfortunately instead it's a tale of caution. On mile ~800 of the trip, we followed the GPS directions to get off the highway to skip some traffic. Unfortunately the expected on ramp was closed, so we ended up on a poorly maintained stretch of feeder road just outside Vidor.

Right after the forced U-Turn so we didn't end up in the Neches river, I avoided a pothole only to hit another... And this one was bad. So bad, in fact, that we became one of three cars with our hazards on right after it due to damage to the cars. I thought I had popped a tire, but when I got out, it was much worse. My rear passenger tire is now at such a strong camber that it is rubbing the wheel well. :(

We have now been stranded for 2 hours while a tow truck drives in from Houston to pick us up and take us to the Tesla authorized repair shop.

Wish us luck

View attachment 158929
Final Update - Took about a month to get the car back. The shop in Houston (Katy Coachworks) did an amazing job and the car looks new again. They ended up replacing the control arm, rim, tire, wheel well, parking brake, rear brake, shock tower, and painting the quarter panel. Total out of pocket for me was only my $1000 deductible, so not bad at all. The longest wait was for parts from Tesla - the actual labor was only about 9 hours, not bad at all.

It seems very odd hitting a pothole at only that speed would do and damage beyond the tire and wheel.

Failure of the control arm and shock tower seems more than you'd expect.

Hope your insurance company paid for it all.

Here in the Bay Area they do. They never pay full, but do pay partial if you have evidence. Doesn't hurt to try.

Not for on ramps/off ramps or freeways, that is the in the perview of CalTrans, and good luck getting them to pony up the reimbursement. Fortunately for me, the pothole hit in Los Gatos offramp wasn't severe enough to damage the vehicle. The city was kind enough to forward the report on to CalTrans, but I have not read anything stating it was fixed and have not repeated getting off at that exit again since.

Hopefully, with 8.0, Radar will detect upcoming potholes and possibly navigate to avoid them or reduce speed to lessen the impact to vehicle. We will have to wait and see, although I have one minor pothole I pass everyday so I should be able to confirm or disclaim this theory on my own.

Not for on ramps/off ramps or freeways, that is the in the perview of CalTrans, and good luck getting them to pony up the reimbursement. Fortunately for me, the pothole hit in Los Gatos offramp wasn't severe enough to damage the vehicle. The city was kind enough to forward the report on to CalTrans, but I have not read anything stating it was fixed and have not repeated getting off at that exit again since.

Hopefully, with 8.0, Radar will detect upcoming potholes and possibly navigate to avoid them or reduce speed to lessen the impact to vehicle. We will have to wait and see, although I have one minor pothole I pass everyday so I should be able to confirm or disclaim this theory on my own.

MobilEye has a new pothole detection system but that won't happen since they dumped Tesla. 8.0 won't detect potholes.