Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coat or New Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get black wheels. So Im debating to either get my wheels powder coated black or get a new set of wheels. Not certain if by doing either do I void any warranty on my Tesla? I have a 2019 Model 3 dual motor long range model and live in San Diego. I don't know anyone else who owns a Tesla who I can ask for advice so Im her. Any input, ideas, recommendations and/or experiences would be appreciated.

Reactions: HodgJ
I went through this same thing recently - ultimately decided to get new wheels because there are so many teslas everywhere and I wanted rims you didn't see day in and day out. Powder coating makes them a bit more unique but they are still the same rims.

You will not void any warranty from tesla either way. I am not sure why people are afraid of this with a tesla but not with other cars.

Just make sure the wheels you get fit your car. Almost any online wheel shop or actual wheel shop should be able to help you out. There is also a ton of great people here to help you out - check out the aftermarket wheels thread.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Both have pros and cons. Powdercoated wheels will be cheaper and might do the job if you already like the design.

New wheels come at a much higher cost, but offer better designs, finishes, sizes and offsets and much lighter than the stock wheels.

I did powdercoated my original wheels and for 2 years they worked fine. I did ultimately got new wheels that fit my likes and needs.

here’s an example of my black powdercoated wheels:
372E527B-A9C8-48F5-912B-545138DA647D.jpeg

and the new ones (black too):
DB918964-1992-4201-B5C9-DAC4C6FB0E35.jpeg

It all comes down to your budget :)

Reactions: Maxdriver and dyau
Upvote 0
Both have pros and cons. Powdercoated wheels will be cheaper and might do the job if you already like the design.

New wheels come at a much higher cost, but offer better designs, finishes, sizes and offsets and much lighter than the stock wheels.

I did powdercoated my original wheels and for 2 years they worked fine. I did ultimately got new wheels that fit my likes and needs.

View attachment 679991

Hello stranger. Can you tell me a name of those wheels?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
I went through this same thing recently - ultimately decided to get new wheels because there are so many teslas everywhere and I wanted rims you didn't see day in and day out. Powder coating makes them a bit more unique but they are still the same rims.

You will not void any warranty from tesla either way. I am not sure why people are afraid of this with a tesla but not with other cars.

Just make sure the wheels you get fit your car. Almost any online wheel shop or actual wheel shop should be able to help you out. There is also a ton of great people here to help you out - check out the aftermarket wheels thread.
I actually worried about it with every car lol For now I'm leaning towards powder coat since I also want to get a wrap to protect the paint. Thank you for the input!

Upvote 0

View attachment 679990

View attachment 679991

Wow, your car looks amazing either way! Now that I see the Tesla wheels in black it makes me want to get them more lol Now to choose between satin or matte finish hmmmm....How long did the powder coat last? Did it come with warranty? Experience any scratches or chips?

Upvote 0
Wow, your car looks amazing either way! Now that I see the Tesla wheels in black it makes me want to get them more lol Now to choose between satin or matte finish hmmmm....How long did the powder coat last? Did it come with warranty? Experience any scratches or chips?
I had my oem wheels powdercoated for 2 years before i switched to aftermarket ones. They were like new - no chops or scratches after 2 yrs. i went with satin black to create more visual depth.

Reactions: thapreacha
Upvote 0