Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coat or Paint Rim in the Bay Area. Any Recommended Auto Shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the long delay. The top picture is of the powder coated factory 20's in semigloss black. The second picture is of my winter tires on 19's that are dipped. I can say without question that the powder coating is far superior. The dipped wheel is very dependent on your technique and I have to say that my technique could use some work. I have a couple areas with texture that I don't like, a couple areas that are chipped and one area that is peeling. Dip is matte black. I would powder coat both sets if money was not an issue. As it was, I spend the extra money on a winter set as we drive to Tahoe almost every other weekend for the kids' ski team. Real winter tires are substantially safer.

View attachment 222458

View attachment 222459
I'm sold on the powder coated approach. (also in California with standard 20")

What shop did yours so nicely?

I've been reading too many horror stories about powder coated aluminum alloy wheels... the problem is the curing temperatures over 375 can start to affect the alloyed metals, such as Mg. Aluminum for the most part should be ok, but could slightly soften. Most likely you will be ok, but I just cant risk having my family in the car and hitting a pothole and the rim bending.

I actually had my rims at a powder coaters this weekend, and called him this morning to tell him to hold off. Luckily he had only sandblasted the old silver paint off of my 19" Slipstreams, and he's going to help me find a good shop to paint them gloss black instead. I think if youre concerned about safety more than longtime durability, you're better off getting a good autobody shop to paint your rims with clear coat, and then follow it up with a Ceramic Pro treatment.

I will post pictures when my job is complete. I take delivery of my car in a couple of weeks, and the Tesla Serice Center said they mount my newly painted rims if I bought a set of tires.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't think the powder-coating process is going to affect the strength of your rims in any measurable way. I've had my rims powder-coated twice.

Depending on how your rims were made (eg. forged vs cast), the process introduces a lot of stress fractures into the metal matrix. These fractures actually make the metal stronger, but more brittle. They can handle a harder impact, but when they fail, they'll fail catastrophically.

Heating the metal (called annealing) will actually repair those stress fractures by allowing the metal matrix to reform. The metal needs to be evenly heated at a high temperature for a long time to anneal the entire internal structure, but it makes the metal more malleable. The metal will be more "elastic" and bend/contort more, and less likely to fail catastrophically. Basically, it becomes "softer".

I haven't researched what kind of temperatures are required for a given rim to begin the annealing process, but aluminum (soft metal) needs temperatures of around 650ºF - 775ºF (depending on type) for 2-3 hours. Steel needs temperatures between 500ºF - 760ºF (depending on alloy type).

So, we're talking about temperatures and times much higher than what rims would see in powder-coating. Ultimately, it's your decision, but if powder coating was an issue with rim strength, I'm sure we would have heard/seen lots of issues by now.

Last edited:
I don't think the powder-coating process is going to affect the strength of your rims in any measurable way. I've had my rims powder-coated twice.

Depending on how your rims were made (eg. forged vs cast), the process introduces a lot of stress fractures into the metal matrix. These fractures actually make the metal stronger, but more brittle. They can handle a harder impact, but when they fail, they'll fail catastrophically.

Heating the metal (called annealing) will actually repair those stress fractures by allowing the metal matrix to reform. You need quite a high temperature to do that, but it makes the metal more malleable. The metal will be more "elastic" and bend/contort more, and less likely to fail catastrophically. Basically, it becomes "softer".

I haven't researched what kind of temperatures are required for a given rim to begin the annealing process, but aluminum (soft metal) needs temperatures of around 650ºF - 775ºF (depending on type) for 2-3 hours. Steel needs temperatures between 500ºF - 760ºF (depending on alloy).

So, we're talking about temperatures and times much higher than what rims would see in powder-coating. Ultimately, it's your decision, but if powder coating was an issue with rim strength, I'm sure we would have heard/seen lots of issues by now.
I concur fully, strength reduction is a non-topic for powder-coating. Cosmetic reasons may apply, but they are a separate issue.

Plasti-dipped mine last month and just helped a friend do his last weekend. Best $20 you can spend. When you inevitably get curb rash, just do it again... plus, like others have mentioned, it's reversible with no damage to the wheels.

IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG

Reactions: FlatSix911
I hear you guys. And I understand that the probability of a failure is very low, but we don't know the composition of the alloy. Like I said, it has a lot to do with who is doing the PCing, and if their process is sound. I'm fine with just painting my rims and not having it in the back of my mind.

I will say, aesthetically, the PCed rims look the best imo.