Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coated 20" Factory Wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know some people have been interested in powder coating the factory wheels. Just had mine done in satin black. Turned out pretty well I think. I always thought that the silver factory 20" wheels look very small compared to the car. Turning them black I think tricks your eyes into seeing them as bigger wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_194800.jpg
    IMG_20160604_194800.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 2,222
  • IMG_20160604_194815.jpg
    IMG_20160604_194815.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 1,993
  • IMG_20160604_194850.jpg
    IMG_20160604_194850.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 1,907
  • IMG_20160604_194932.jpg
    IMG_20160604_194932.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 1,908
Got them done at Exoticar in Westwood. Anthony's the guy and he is very responsive and nice. Lot's of Teslas go through there. They're right behind the Tesla Service Center actually. $200/wheel. Turn around time is 2-3 days. I had to leave my car there for the duration.

Reactions: MSilverPas
I know some people have been interested in powder coating the factory wheels. Just had mine done in satin black. Turned out pretty well I think. I always thought that the silver factory 20" wheels look very small compared to the car. Turning them black I think tricks your eyes into seeing them as bigger wheels.

Hey neighbor, just moved to the area, getting my X in July (at least I'm told) and am considering powdercoating my wheels as well. I did it on the S and came out fantastic.

Thank for the pics!

Got them done at Exoticar in Westwood. Anthony's the guy and he is very responsive and nice. Lot's of Teslas go through there. They're right behind the Tesla Service Center actually. $200/wheel. Turn around time is 2-3 days. I had to leave my car there for the duration.
Looks awesome, thanks for sharing the pictures. However the price and time taken seem a bit higher, a reputed business here in San Diego quoted me $410 and 1 day turnaround time. Is the satin black and the finish thereafter a custom one mandating more time and effort from your service provider ?

Haha did the exact same thing! Except I got metallic Grey to make the color of the car. Saved myself 4k ding this instead of getting the 22s and I still have a smoother ride. 130 per wheel and 1 day turnaround. I live in dallas though

Attachments

• 14652588800411532217628.jpg
    14652588800411532217628.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 1,890
Reactions: vandacca
Haha did the exact same thing! Except I got metallic Grey to make the color of the car. Saved myself 4k ding this instead of getting the 22s and I still have a smoother ride. 130 per wheel and 1 day turnaround. I live in dallas though
Thanks for sharing- could you please share some more pictures. I would think a slightly darker color compliments the car color better

Did you have the center caps powder coated?

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing the pictures. However the price and time taken seem a bit higher, a reputed business here in San Diego quoted me $410 and 1 day turnaround time. Is the satin black and the finish thereafter a custom one mandating more time and effort from your service provider ?

That's an amazing turn around time and price. Do you mind sharing the contact details? I'd love to look up some photos of work they've done.

Exoticar is indeed a popular shop in west la, I believe the Tesla service center uses them as well.

That's an amazing turn around time and price. Do you mind sharing the contact details? I'd love to look up some photos of work they've done.

Exoticar is indeed a popular shop in west la, I believe the Tesla service center uses them as well.
I did my research and I am almost decided to go with these guys, pasting info relevant to my decision below. I must also point out and emphasize that when a shop or service provider gets associated with the T word, their prices go up several folds, irrespective of their quality/workmanship. Best example would be Tesla recommended electricians who charge 5 times the market price of a standard dryer socket a.k.a NEMA14-50 just because you would plug in a 100k+ car to it. It's not that they do anything different, it's just that there are people who are willing to get ripped off without due diligence. Sorry no offense to anyone, just stating this as somewhat of a PSA.
Edit: another place that does similar or probably work of lesser quality than these guys charges 2 times the price just because they are closer to a certain company which has a lot of rich people with expensive cars. Market dynamics ...

Bradford Powder Coating
Bradford Powder Coating - - Chula Vista, CA

Email exchange

“Thank you for contacting Bradford Powder Coating, we offer full powder coating service;
1- Dis-mounting tires,
2-Remove Tire Sensors TPMS
3-Sandblasting and Powder coating your wheels, (Black Magic )
4-Re-install TPMS and reset if needed
5- Re Mount Tires
6- Balancing all 4 wheels, and rotate them if needed.
7- One - two days turn around service
8- Clear Top Coat for additional $20/wheel
Your out the door price is $415.00for all 4 wheels and your satisfaction is guaranteed, all you need to do is to call and schedule an appointment with us.”

Screenshot_20160606-215351.png
Screenshot_20160606-215333.png
Screenshot_20160606-214604.png
Screenshot_20160606-215226.png

Last edited:
Hey neighbor, just moved to the area, getting my X in July (at least I'm told) and am considering powdercoating my wheels as well. I did it on the S and came out fantastic.

Thank for the pics!
No problem. Welcome to Pasadena. Definitely happy with powercoating the wheels. For the X of any color, the dark wheels ALWAYS make the car look better IMO. I haven't seen a single color with dark wheels that looks bad, and there have been a lot of X's in the neighborhood.

Never had any wheels powder coated so I don't know what was reasonable. Most places I looked quoted about the same turnaround time. The price is also about par for LA as far as I know. Ended up going with Exoticar because of their Yelp reviews and Anthony seemed like a very straight up, honest guy from all our conversations.

No problem. Welcome to Pasadena. Definitely happy with powercoating the wheels. For the X of any color, the dark wheels ALWAYS make the car look better IMO. I haven't seen a single color with dark wheels that looks bad, and there have been a lot of X's in the neighborhood.
I agree with you on the dark wheels. Curious if they can look at pictures and be able to match the finish (matte/satin finish) ?

I agree with you on the dark wheels. Curious if they can look at pictures and be able to match the finish (matte/satin finish) ?
I haven't done a direct comparison between the the factory Onyx wheels and my powder coated wheels. The guy said that he has seen it and said that the closest match is the satin black. I don't need an exact match to factory Onyx so even 90% there was good enough for me.

Reactions: ssq
IMO, black rims look great on the any X. The bulbous proportions on the X make the silver color 20's look small and off-proportion, well, to me anyways.

Nice alternative to the 22's and without the 10-15% range penalty with the 22's.
I agree with you, black wheels look nice on most cars regardless, it's probably our eyes judging them as nice shoes!