Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coated Rims - the under side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think i know the answer to my own question here, but...Ive never gotten rims powercoated. These rims were brand new from a 21 Model 3. Previous owner took them right off and delivered them to the shop. I went to pick them up and i see that the under sides of the rims are pretty scratched up. I assume this is from someone scutting them across the floor? No idea. But, the guy says he can fix em pretty easy. Not even sure that is true - how would you spot fix powder coated rims? Would it be touch up paint?
20210206_140419.jpg
20210206_140419.jpg
20210206_140422.jpg
20210206_140408.jpg

You would mask it off and just paint that lip.

But why? Do you even see the back of the rim? You'd have to be pretty anal to care about this damage on a family daily driver.
Well I was worried about it peeling more, I guess. And I paid good money for it to be coated. Just seems like complete negligence to have that damage.

And, being honest my plan was to sell these. They did not come out how I wanted at all. Didn't want a potential buyer balking at that damage.

Well I was worried about it peeling more, I guess. And I paid good money for it to be coated. Just seems like complete negligence to have that damage.

And, being honest my plan was to sell these. They did not come out how I wanted at all. Didn't want a potential buyer balking at that damage.

If he isn't going to charge you, just have the spray paint the lip and sell 'em. Those types of scuffs won't cause any problems for the new buyer.

Since they have had tires mounted, if the guy wants to charge you to fix them, I wouldn't bother. Since you have had tires mounted, they are going to be sold as used, so you will already have taken big hit on resale price, and those scuffs wouldn't devalue them enough to pay for any repairs.

Besides, so many wheels have those scuffs, even high end cars, from the so-called "pros" sliding them on the ground, that most buyers are going to don't care.

If he isn't going to charge you, just have the spray paint the lip and sell 'em. Those types of scuffs won't cause any problems for the new buyer.

Since they have had tires mounted, if the guy wants to charge you to fix them, I wouldn't bother. Since you have had tires mounted, they are going to be sold as used, so you will already have taken big hit on resale price, and those scuffs wouldn't devalue them enough to pay for any repairs.

Besides, so many wheels have those scuffs, even high end cars, from the so-called "pros" sliding them on the ground, so most people don't care.
Well I guess I'm just very picky I guess.