TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powder Coating Calipers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mjp462, May 19, 2018.

1. mjp462

mjp462 Member

I want to powder coat my brake calipers and was wondering how you guys go about doing it.

I figured I'll take my Model 3 to my mechanic to remove the calipers, bleed the brakes, etc. Then I'll sent the calipers to a powder coat shop.

Does anyone have alternatives to this very long process?

2. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

You may want to be careful with that idea. I was planning on getting my calipers powder coated and my retailer said he would need to do it while they were on the car because taking them off would void the warranty. I don’t know how accurate he is but I am not taking the chance...that is just me.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Powdercoating requires parts to baked in an oven so you have to completely disassemble the brakes to do it. Also there may be seals and gaskets that need to be replaced and I don’t think Tesla sells them. Most people just paint them!

• Like x 3
  4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

There is special high temp caliper paint available. Just brush it on, and apply your decal on top when dry.

Do it on the car. Faster and cheaper, but still looks great.

5. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Go to RPM Tesla he just wraps them much easier.

6. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

Something about a wrapped caliper doesn't settle well with me. I read up on it, and I know we rarely heavily use the brakes but it still feels odd.

• Like x 1
  7. gellibelly

gellibelly Member

I used Ron at Custom Calipers and Wheel Repair highly enough. I was referred to him by a friend who had his MS done as well as his wife's Porsche Macan. When I checked them out the calipers were still in like new condition even though they were already three years old. That alone convinced me to give Ron a try. As I relayed my many questions and concerns to Ron via text, not once did he seem impatient or annoyed. He came to my home about a week after I spoke with him, showed up on time, and got to work.

Ron is a consummate professional. He is extremely meticulous and methodical and he works very cleanly. Everything is covered with the utmost care. My husband in particular was concerned about overspray in our garage (he is a mobile service) and that turned out to be a non-issue. He masks the entire car with painter's plastic and uses a tape that is safe for the car paint. He knew exactly how to jack the car up and there was no risk with brake bleed whatsoever. There were things along the way that he explained he had to do that I didn't even realize needed to be done when jacking up a Model 3 but he knew. If anything, he put everything back better than it was when I picked it up from the delivery center. I was so impressed with his work that I literally could not find any flaws. Best of all, his technique and mobile service allow you to be able to drive the car immediately after he is finished. Lifetime warranty.

Custom Calipers & Wheel Repair | Custom Calipers and Wheel Repair

IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7048.JPG IMG_7053.JPG IMG_7065.JPG IMG_7077.JPG

Attached Files:

8. odyuh

odyuh Member

Out of curiousity, how much did he charge you?

9. gellibelly

gellibelly Member

He is pricey. $850, which is maybe around twice as much as most places but he comes to your location and you'll be able to drive your car immediately after he's finished.

10. EvilCowPow

EvilCowPow Member

That's insanely high.

11. derkan

derkan June Bug

what does it cost to actually replace the calipers with, say, brembo?

12. djclint

djclint Member

They are already brembo if I'm not mistaken.

13. JulienW

JulienW Member

#15 JulienW, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    The easiest and least expensive way would be to get caliper covers. Up close and under scrutiny they can look a little cheesy but you have to really study them. Added befit is the standard calipers are a little small and the covers make them look larger.

They have Tesla too.
    MGP Caliper Covers | Officially Licensed by Ford, GM, Mopar & More!

IMG_3252.jpg IMG_3837.jpg

Here is a close up.

IMG_4477.jpg

• Funny x 1