TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Powder coating concerns?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Girish, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Girish

Girish New Member

Hey folks,
    I've read that there may be concerns with powder coating wheels. (something about the baking process affecting the wheels)? Any truth to this?

I know a lot of people here seem to have powder coated their wheels already. Any concerns?

Also, I'm considering carbon grey powder coat for my 19" wheels for my green model S. Anyone here done that? Happy with it?

thanks!

2. logan

logan Member

It's only a real concern with garbage wheels or if a shop that isn't experienced powder coats them. I powder coated my Vossens gloss black and they've been holding up quite well.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I had the cyclone rims done and they look much better. Pick a high end shop with experience doing rims. Also make sure they don't powder coat the inside (part of rim tire covers) as that can make it very tough to mount tire.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Go for it!

I had my OEM 19 rims powdercoated.

5. lloyds

lloyds Member

All of the above. I've had a pretty bad experience several years ago with powercoating my M3's factory wheels. It started to crack and peel in different areas after about 2 years. Pick a premium shop to do this.