Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Gemini

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been debating whether to just plastidip them for ~$50 vs ~$600+ for powdercoating. I know the finish looks a bit nicer on powdercoated wheels but if both of these finishes are still susceptible to scratches when putting on/taking off aero covers then I think the durability argument isn't as strong as I thought.

Anyone regret paying so much to powdercoat vs. selling geminis and buying replacements wheels?

I have been debating whether to just plastidip them for ~$50 vs ~$600+ for powdercoating. I know the finish looks a bit nicer on powdercoated wheels but if both of these finishes are still susceptible to scratches when putting on/taking off aero covers then I think the durability argument isn't as strong as I thought.

Anyone regret paying so much to powdercoat vs. selling geminis and buying replacements wheels?

I was originally going to powder coat my Gemini wheels. But was shopping around my area, and most places wanted $600 and up... So I decided to get aftermarket since I will lose range anyways with powder coating and removing the covers.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Are these model three rims? Any difference between the geminis on you MY? How much were the calipers?

Yes those are 20x8.5 Sportwheels from Model 3. Geminis are 19X9.5 if IIRC, with stock Continental tires. The Michelin Sport AS 3+ are louder and less efficient than those Continentals.

Those are stock red calipers on MYP, but he (Rey) paints calipers for $300.

I bought the powder-coated wheels from Rey, here: 20” Tesla model 3 performance graphite gray factory original wheels rims new

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 1,906