Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Hope all is well. I have a question about powder coating and was hoping someone with knowledge can answer my question. I plan on getting the 19'' wheels and was wanting to get them powder coated a nice gloss (or semi-gloss) black to look like my avatar picture. My question is, does powder coating weaken the wheels?

I have googled this and some people say it does (please note that these comments are 5 to 7 years old...nothing more recent) and other say it does not. I have contacted a company that does this on cars on a regular basis and the gentleman informed me that in no way does this process weaken the wheels. He stated he has done it to all of his cars and has many customers who ask for this service.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience on this and could offer me their experience.

Thanks!!

Hi All,

Hope all is well. I have a question about powder coating and was hoping someone with knowledge can answer my question. I plan on getting the 19'' wheels and was wanting to get them powder coated a nice gloss (or semi-gloss) black to look like my avatar picture. My question is, does powder coating weaken the wheels?

I have googled this and some people say it does (please note that these comments are 5 to 7 years old...nothing more recent) and other say it does not. I have contacted a company that does this on cars on a regular basis and the gentleman informed me that in no way does this process weaken the wheels. He stated he has done it to all of his cars and has many customers who ask for this service.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience on this and could offer me their experience.

Thanks!!
I've had my powder coated wheels on my car for nearly 9 months with no issues. Just be warned that it will be a hassle to have all 4 wheels off the car at the same time since you can't just sit the car on jack stands like ICE vehicles (assuming that the M3 will have only 4 jack points like the S & X). I had to get another set of wheels to use while my rims were being done.

It depends on powder baking procedure and how well it is controlled.
Aluminium alloys will start to lose their strength at 200C. Depending on the alloy, timing varies. half hour, an hour.
Powder coating can be baked at that temperature (slightly less) and for shorter period (10-20 minutes).
But here is a big but. It is very easy to miss temperature by few dozens easily (no precise thermometer in the oven).

If time/temperature kept within limits, powder can be baked with no effect on alloy.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
@Qbenjamin the place that I was thinking about going to said that I can leave the car with them so I would not need to get another set of wheels to drive the car. They said it would take a couple of days to complete. I am just a little nervous to spend this kind of money on a new car and then to possibly have something wrong happen due to me wanting to get the wheels powder coated. Maybe I should just pass on this and keep the rims stock.

You can always powder coat them later (as soon as you actually don't like OEM coat).
It's not like protecting paintwork - do it on the first day. Powder coating resurfaces any defects.
Actually powder coating is also done 10 years later just to make wheels look new again.

Plastic center caps can't be baked in oven.

Alloy wheels are completely refinishable by a competent shop. Why not just sandblast and paint? Repeat when necessary on a single damaged rim or all 4. I like the inside of my wheels to be satin black. Hides brake dust and much less 'splotchy' looking through the spokes.

@Qbenjamin the place that I was thinking about going to said that I can leave the car with them so I would not need to get another set of wheels to drive the car. They said it would take a couple of days to complete. I am just a little nervous to spend this kind of money on a new car and then to possibly have something wrong happen due to me wanting to get the wheels powder coated. Maybe I should just pass on this and keep the rims stock.
It's just car to me, but I understand your point. I typically don't deal with shops that don't have a good reputation and insurance. The biggest thing is to make sure that they plan to leave your car on a lift, or literally do one wheel at a time. Make sure that they understand that the car can't be left on jack stands (unless they have the specific jack stands that can be placed right under the lift).

It's just car to me, but I understand your point. I typically don't deal with shops that don't have a good reputation and insurance. The biggest thing is to make sure that they plan to leave your car on a lift, or literally do one wheel at a time. Make sure that they understand that the car can't be left on jack stands (unless they have the specific jack stands that can be placed right under the lift).
Why can't it be put on axle stands?

Why can't it be put on axle stands?
I may be using the wrong terminology, but the S&X only have 4 very small jack points, which make it close to impossible to use a standard jack and jack lifts. There is a special jack that has the stand to go on top of it, but they are rare. Other than that, the car will have to sit on a lift or another set of wheels.

I have a white Model 3 with 19s. Has anyone actually done this on the Model 3 19inch rims yet? I'd like to see some examples of the 19s powdercoated in a few colors. I'm considering the sonic gray color on the old turbines and a satin black (some sheen, but not glossy). Hope someone can help.
Much appreciated

I have a white Model 3 with 19s. Has anyone actually done this on the Model 3 19inch rims yet? I'd like to see some examples of the 19s powdercoated in a few colors. I'm considering the sonic gray color on the old turbines and a satin black (some sheen, but not glossy). Hope someone can help.
Much appreciated

I just had my factory 19" wheels powder coated a metallic graphite anthracite/gray. (Tint and chrome delete still pending)

Attachments

• My Model 3 PC Wheels.JPG
    My Model 3 PC Wheels.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Informative
@CinCity_E, looks nice!

@OCD55, you can take a look at this youtube video to see what a white Model 3 looks like with black powder coated 19"...

Turned out pretty nice.

That looks amazing! I want this on my White Aero config. I already have the black delete for the door handles and Tesla badges from RPM. Can't bring myself to pay $750 though for window and side mirror trim. Maybe later after I replenish my funds :)

Reactions: pkalhan
Thanks for all the information provided on this thread. I currently have a White M3 configured. I plan on powder coating them white after I pick up delivery within the next 3 months.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.03.10 PM.png

The owner over at RPMTesla has them on his white M3 and it looks really good and clean!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.03.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.03.23 PM.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.03.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.03.52 PM.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: CaptainAwesome