TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Powder Coating Information

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pkalhan, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

Hi All,

Hope all is well. I have a question about powder coating and was hoping someone with knowledge can answer my question. I plan on getting the 19'' wheels and was wanting to get them powder coated a nice gloss (or semi-gloss) black to look like my avatar picture. My question is, does powder coating weaken the wheels?

I have googled this and some people say it does (please note that these comments are 5 to 7 years old...nothing more recent) and other say it does not. I have contacted a company that does this on cars on a regular basis and the gentleman informed me that in no way does this process weaken the wheels. He stated he has done it to all of his cars and has many customers who ask for this service.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience on this and could offer me their experience.

Thanks!!

2. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

I've had my powder coated wheels on my car for nearly 9 months with no issues. Just be warned that it will be a hassle to have all 4 wheels off the car at the same time since you can't just sit the car on jack stands like ICE vehicles (assuming that the M3 will have only 4 jack points like the S & X). I had to get another set of wheels to use while my rims were being done.

3. arnis

arnis Member

It depends on powder baking procedure and how well it is controlled.
    Aluminium alloys will start to lose their strength at 200C. Depending on the alloy, timing varies. half hour, an hour.
    Powder coating can be baked at that temperature (slightly less) and for shorter period (10-20 minutes).
    But here is a big but. It is very easy to miss temperature by few dozens easily (no precise thermometer in the oven).

If time/temperature kept within limits, powder can be baked with no effect on alloy.

4. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

@Qbenjamin the place that I was thinking about going to said that I can leave the car with them so I would not need to get another set of wheels to drive the car. They said it would take a couple of days to complete. I am just a little nervous to spend this kind of money on a new car and then to possibly have something wrong happen due to me wanting to get the wheels powder coated. Maybe I should just pass on this and keep the rims stock.

5. Krash

Krash Uncorked

Don't be afraid to let someone powdercoat your rims, but keep in mind that the service center may refuse to work on them. Don't forget to powdercoat the center caps. I also recommend matching lug nut covers.

6. arnis

arnis Member

You can always powder coat them later (as soon as you actually don't like OEM coat).
    It's not like protecting paintwork - do it on the first day. Powder coating resurfaces any defects.
    Actually powder coating is also done 10 years later just to make wheels look new again.

Plastic center caps can't be baked in oven.

7. number12

number12 Active Member

If nervous have you considered plastidip?

8. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Alloy wheels are completely refinishable by a competent shop. Why not just sandblast and paint? Repeat when necessary on a single damaged rim or all 4. I like the inside of my wheels to be satin black. Hides brake dust and much less 'splotchy' looking through the spokes.

9. Qbenjamin

It's just car to me, but I understand your point. I typically don't deal with shops that don't have a good reputation and insurance. The biggest thing is to make sure that they plan to leave your car on a lift, or literally do one wheel at a time. Make sure that they understand that the car can't be left on jack stands (unless they have the specific jack stands that can be placed right under the lift).

10. cizUK

cizUK Member

Why can't it be put on axle stands?

11. Qbenjamin

I may be using the wrong terminology, but the S&X only have 4 very small jack points, which make it close to impossible to use a standard jack and jack lifts. There is a special jack that has the stand to go on top of it, but they are rare. Other than that, the car will have to sit on a lift or another set of wheels.