TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powder coating stock wheels on Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Sappy02, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Sappy02

Sappy02 Member

Hello,

I am looking to powder coat the stock wheels on my Model X. Also considering painting the calipers. What options do I have and what is the cost I should expect?

I was reading somewhere that some folks also do ceramic coating on top of the wheels for extra protection.

Thank you.

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Good power coating looks great and holds up well on wheels.

Painter needs to pay attention to the seating surfaces for the lug nuts and inside the hub where it contacts to vehicle. No paint should be on those surfaces to allow the wheels to be properly torqued down.

Some are concerned with +/- 400 degrees heat used to melt the beads and cure the finish. Probably not a big deal, but insurance will not cover a powercoated broken wheel, and Tesla will not take back a leased or trade in vehicle if they discover they have been painted.

Power coating offers tons of colors, and can really give your Tesla a great and personalized look.

• Informative x 2
  3. my safeword is

I looked into powder coating and it costs about $800 per set of 4 wheels.

• Informative x 1
  4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Depends on the where you are. I’ve been quoted $550 to powder coat all 4, 22” Wheels and I’m not too far from you.

Color is completely up to you. You can seal it, it would help with brake dust. But the reality is curb rash is a bigger enemy and ceramic won’t do much against that.

• Informative x 1
  5. rohitgarewal

rohitgarewal Member

I coated my 20’s for $850. That’s in the Bay Area, so about 30% more expensive than most of the country.

6. Maaz

Maaz Member

I’m looking for the best place to paint my calipers red without paying the extreme southern Cali upcharge.

7. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

5BE393E4-7E33-4E73-8B84-CEE81B70B7F1.jpeg

Did mine to match the wrap. About $600. No ceramic coating. A year later, still looks good.

8. puritan

puritan Member

Getting mine done now.

4 20" wheels: Satin Black: 195$ per wheel
    4 calipers: Red with white 'Tesla': $1195

Getting her back this week. Can't wait!

9. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

$$1195 for just the calipers?!?

10. knightrider

knightrider Member

Hey @puritan where are you getting yours Powder coated? I am trying to find a decent shop in Bay Area.

11. Letin

Letin Member

Anyone knows if the 20" sonic carbon wheels on Tesla's website were powdercoated/patined over the original silver?

12. puritan

puritan Member

@knightrider Yes they're being powder coated. I gave my car to SS Customs in Redwood City.

They're Tesla's go to shop for customization for their special vehicles and all that. Ask for Shareef, he knows his stuff.

13. knightrider

knightrider Member

Awesome. thanks @puritan would love to see the end result!

14. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Member

That's really pricey for calipers... hope they come out A1.

15. puritan

puritan Member

#15 puritan, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Got the car back today. I got the door handles/buttons done in gloss black, wheels in satin black and red calipers. I also got the clear bra on the whole car, which obviously can't be seen.

They were also asked to remove the Model X and 100D from the back. It looks super clean now. IMG-20180502-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20180502-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20180502-WA0001~2.jpeg
    IMG-20180502-WA0008.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

I am looking good recommendation to do my X wheels in NY. if you have one, please share.

17. TzlaMom3

TzlaMom3 New Member

Where did you take your wheels to get powder coated? I’m in the Bay Area also ( North Bay) and haven’t had much luck. :(