Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coating stock wheels on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am looking to powder coat the stock wheels on my Model X. Also considering painting the calipers. What options do I have and what is the cost I should expect?

I was reading somewhere that some folks also do ceramic coating on top of the wheels for extra protection.

Thank you.

Good power coating looks great and holds up well on wheels.

Painter needs to pay attention to the seating surfaces for the lug nuts and inside the hub where it contacts to vehicle. No paint should be on those surfaces to allow the wheels to be properly torqued down.

Some are concerned with +/- 400 degrees heat used to melt the beads and cure the finish. Probably not a big deal, but insurance will not cover a powercoated broken wheel, and Tesla will not take back a leased or trade in vehicle if they discover they have been painted.

Power coating offers tons of colors, and can really give your Tesla a great and personalized look.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn and Sappy02
Depends on the where you are. I’ve been quoted $550 to powder coat all 4, 22” Wheels and I’m not too far from you.

Color is completely up to you. You can seal it, it would help with brake dust. But the reality is curb rash is a bigger enemy and ceramic won’t do much against that.

5BE393E4-7E33-4E73-8B84-CEE81B70B7F1.jpeg

Did mine to match the wrap. About $600. No ceramic coating. A year later, still looks good.

Got the car back today. I got the door handles/buttons done in gloss black, wheels in satin black and red calipers. I also got the clear bra on the whole car, which obviously can't be seen.

They were also asked to remove the Model X and 100D from the back. It looks super clean now.
IMG-20180502-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20180502-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20180502-WA0001~2.jpeg

IMG-20180502-WA0008.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20180502-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20180502-WA0008.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
Hello,

I am looking to powder coat the stock wheels on my Model X. Also considering painting the calipers. What options do I have and what is the cost I should expect?

I was reading somewhere that some folks also do ceramic coating on top of the wheels for extra protection.

Thank you.

I am looking good recommendation to do my X wheels in NY. if you have one, please share.