Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels - GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have decided on where to powder coat my 19" OEM Slipstreams and I am going with.. Quy's Coating

I had a long chat with Quy and he convinced me he is the right guy for the job. My only concern is that he does not removed the tires from the rims, he told me to have my mechanic do it.

So, I had a question about remvoing the tires from the rims. I have a set of winter rims (Replika 187's) and X-Ice tires. I do this intentionally because I do not like the idea of removing and replacing tires on the rims with the change of every season, so I do two complete sets to ensure I don't have to unnecessarily take the tires off the rims unless I am getting new tires.

On my Slipstreams are the OEM Goodyear tires (with the sound insulation foam). Do you think I need to be too concerned about removing the tires and putting them back on (this one time) for powder coating? The powder coating is costing me $700, which is fine, but I don't want to get into having to replace my tires because they can't get them to seal on the wheels.

Also, do you think I will run into any issues with the TPMS on the Slipstream/Goodyear set with removal and reinstallation?

Did you go ahead with this?

Rims went in today. Decided on "Satin Black" as my colour choice.

I did go with Quy's Coating and he is a bit expensive but he offers a lifetime warranty on the work, so I figured it was worth it. I'll post some pics when they are done and on the car.

Cool, sounds good. Looking forward to seeing his work. I was very satisfied with mine and Satin Black is a great colour choice. ;)

Cool, sounds good. Looking forward to seeing his work. I was very satisfied with mine and Satin Black is a great colour choice. ;)

Rims were done last week but I just picked them up today. Powder coated Satin Black. Rims came out great.

20180319_191952.jpg
20180319_192000.jpg
20180319_192131.jpg

I need to take a trip to detroit to grab some new tires so I can put my 22's on. Thinking mid April as I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the snow yet.

Please don't say that about the snow!!! LOL

I have been watching CP24, Accuweather, Weather Network etc... to satisfy myself that there would be no more snow!!!!

What are you thinking about putting on your 22's? Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+?

I haven't started looking at brands yet but I previously had Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS06's and they were good tires. Best price I've seen so far on the rears "295/25/22" are $361 each. But they come with an 80k warranty. I haven't been able to get pricing on the fronts "245/30/22" as yet. I have them on my wifes Audi A7 "265/35/20" and she's got about 60k out of them so far with plenty of tread remaining.

Reactions: Struja
why Detroit? Unless you have a mounting / balancing setup in your garage, I've found that tires23 make tirerack or any US tire pickups obselete.

They're in Mississauga right by 401-Dixie.
i.e. 4x Michelin PSS for tesla 245.35ZR21 shipped to TireRack installer in niagara falls NY = $1163 USD
Add installation (balancing, mounting) and you're at $1250 USD.
DON'T declare them when you cross and you're converting to CAD at 1.290 (if you have access to spot, which you don't) = $1612 CDN

I bought my Michelin PSS for $1700 all in installed/mounted/balanced at tires23 a few months ago when the dollar was right where it is now. So for $88 I'll save the 2 hrs of driving and lying at the border.

Tell the truth at the border and you're up to $1830 CAD to buy them in America, drive there, get them installed and drive back. $100 more.

why Detroit? Unless you have a mounting / balancing setup in your garage, I've found that tires23 make tirerack or any US tire pickups obselete.

They're in Mississauga right by 401-Dixie.

I bought my winters from Tires23 (Michelin X-Ice 3's) and I think the price for them was about the same everywhere (Kal Tire and Kipling Tire both had them at the exact same price).

i.e. 4x Michelin PSS for tesla 245.35ZR21 shipped to TireRack installer in niagara falls NY = $1163 USD
Add installation (balancing, mounting) and you're at $1250 USD.
DON'T declare them when you cross and you're converting to CAD at 1.290 (if you have access to spot, which you don't) = $1612 CDN

I bought my Michelin PSS for $1700 all in installed/mounted/balanced at tires23 a few months ago when the dollar was right where it is now. So for $88 I'll save the 2 hrs of driving and lying at the border.

Tell the truth at the border and you're up to $1830 CAD to buy them in America, drive there, get them installed and drive back. $100 more.

I'll check them out. I just got bad news though. The rims I refinished won't fit on the Tesla. The offset in the front is too aggressive. So with that said I'm going to use my 21's until I find a buyer for the 22's. Now I'm debating if I should even bother looking for a new set of 22's for the summer....

I'll check them out. I just got bad news though. The rims I refinished won't fit on the Tesla. The offset in the front is too aggressive. So with that said I'm going to use my 21's until I find a buyer for the 22's. Now I'm debating if I should even bother looking for a new set of 22's for the summer....

Do you think it makes that much of a difference? 21's look great. Not sure 22's make that much of a difference but it is tough to measure personal preference.