Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels - GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have decided on where to powder coat my 19" OEM Slipstreams and I am going with.. Quy's Coating

I had a long chat with Quy and he convinced me he is the right guy for the job. My only concern is that he does not removed the tires from the rims, he told me to have my mechanic do it.

So, I had a question about remvoing the tires from the rims. I have a set of winter rims (Replika 187's) and X-Ice tires. I do this intentionally because I do not like the idea of removing and replacing tires on the rims with the change of every season, so I do two complete sets to ensure I don't have to unnecessarily take the tires off the rims unless I am getting new tires.

On my Slipstreams are the OEM Goodyear tires (with the sound insulation foam). Do you think I need to be too concerned about removing the tires and putting them back on (this one time) for powder coating? The powder coating is costing me $700, which is fine, but I don't want to get into having to replace my tires because they can't get them to seal on the wheels.

Also, do you think I will run into any issues with the TPMS on the Slipstream/Goodyear set with removal and reinstallation?

I'm getting my 22 inch Vossens done in Satin Black for $400 on Monday. Why is your guy so expensive? My quote was $450 with removal and reinstall. These are my summers so I don't need the removal or install so it's now down to $400.

I'm going to Spence Tires in Scarborough. They have done a lot of work on Tesla's painting calipers. I brought my wifes Audi A7 there the have her calipers painted and there were two Tesla's there when we arrived. The recently started powder coating rims so I'm going to try them out as I like the owner and they pay a lot of attention to detail.

Reactions: mazeminder
I'm going to Spence Tires in Scarborough. They have done a lot of work on Tesla's painting calipers. I brought my wifes Audi A7 there the have her calipers painted and there were two Tesla's there when we arrived. The recently started powder coating rims so I'm going to try them out as I like the owner and they pay a lot of attention to detail.

When I was there a couple of months ago to get my calipers painted he mentioned that he's thinking about getting into the business of powder coating. Happy he's started. Please report back on how it goes - I'm looking to take mine in after the winter to get them coated.

UPDATE: I had 3 hairline cracks in my 22's. It's going to cost me a little more to have them welded but the price is still very reasonable. Sounds like they will be going in for the powder coating soon. I'll keep you posted...

UPDATE: I had 3 hairline cracks in my 22's. It's going to cost me a little more to have them welded but the price is still very reasonable. Sounds like they will be going in for the powder coating soon. I'll keep you posted...
Are you sure that Spence does powder coating or does he just paint?

He painted my calipers but he didn’t seem to have the equipment for powder coating.

I paid $4000 with tires for my 22' Vossens a couple years ago. I also have a set of 19' slipstreams for winter and the 21' turbines for summer so I really don't need another set. I decided to refinish my Vossen because I'm tired of my car looking like everyone else'.

Picking them up on Monday. I'll post pick as soon as I get them. It will just be pics of the rims as I need some new rubber. Gonna take a drive to Detroit to pick up some rubber down there... Can't put them on till at least April so no real rush.

Reactions: mazeminder
The pic on the rack I took so the quality is much better the others were sent to me... All in all Spence did an amazing job as there were in pretty bad shape going in. I would certainly recommend and use them again.

Attachments

• 20180207_054950.jpg
    20180207_054950.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG-20180205-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180205-WA0008.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Resized_20180206_133549.jpg
    Resized_20180206_133549.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Resized_20180206_133635.jpg
    Resized_20180206_133635.jpg