TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Powder coating wheels vs. Painting Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jacobp, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

Please forgive the newbie question. I am going to get the silver arachnid wheels and I'm thinking about having the color changed to match my original grey P85 (2013). I know some people get the wheels painted and others have them powder coated. What are the pros and cons of those methods? Or put more simply, which is better? And, any recommendations on what color i should get the wheels given my original grey color car? Thanks.

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Also look at Plasti-dipping which is a spray paint but has a rubberized coating. I did that for mine and love it. It has the benefit of being able to be peeled off if I change my mind, and costs approximately $60 all in.

3. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Simply painting the wheels just doesn't hold up to the elements over time like powder coating. I had a set of wheels painted years ago, they even applied a couple sets of clear coat, but it only lasted about a year before you could seem the paint beginning to show wear.

After that experience, I've been using powder coating every since. Have had no issues over the years, and the powder coated rims appear to have a much more durable finish over paint. Powder coating also works out better if you have blemishes on the wheels. Since the powder coating is a thicker consistency, it'll hide most small blemishes and gouges.

Never used Plasti-dip, so I can't comment on that.

4. jacobp

jacobp Member

Thanks all.

5. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member