TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powder Coating Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Todd Burch, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I'm now thinking of getting either the black or gray with 19" wheels...but I really like the look of the dark wheels.

Has anyone given a thought to having your 19s powder coated? I think it only costs a few hundred dollars....much cheaper than upgrading to performance :).

Any comments? Has anyone powder coated their wheels before, and were you happy with it?

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Have a friend who did this to his Acura.

It could be the dealer, but the coat was uneven or the wheels aligned improperly. Could be his experience alone.

I would hesitate to do it on such a novel car.

3. onlinespending

I had the same thought. Even if I go with the Performance S, I still would prefer the 19" wheels for a number of reasons. But I too like the dark wheels. Would be great if Tesla offered the 19" wheels in the dark finish.

• Helpful x 1
  4. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I'm planning on ordering the Performance version with carbon gray wheels. However, this is just not a viable option for those of us in snow country winters, so I plan to buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for winter driving. Has anyone asked Tesla yet what it would cost to order an extra set of 19" wheels/tires? Anyone on this board interested in selling their standard 19" wheels/tires?

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tesla arranged powder coated white wheels on a Roadster for one of our local club members. I'm traveling and can't do links right now but if you search for "white wheels roadster" in the forum I know there is a pic available.

6. smoove7410

smoove7410 Member

Powder coating is extremely sturdy and very good for wheels. I have modified cars for my whole life, so I am no stranger to powder coating wheels. It should run you $50 to $150 per wheel depending upon where you live.

7. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I had exactly this thought after seeing the Dolphin Grey with the Carbon Grey wheels at the Fremont event. WOW. What a knockout. But, I don't want to do the 21" rims. So, I made a quick and dirty Photoshop mockup based on one of the thumbnails in the design studio, to see how the 19" might look with a powder coat. I think it's a nice look, and if you could get a good approximation of the Carbon Grey in a powder coat finish, I'd sure be tempted.

Grey regular painted sim2.png

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Here are my mockups.

Right now I'm trying to decide between:
    BlackBlack.jpg
    Black, black wheels.

blackGray.jpg
    Black, gray wheels.

dolphinBlack.jpg
    Gray, black wheels.

dolphinGray.jpg
    Gray, gray wheels.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Thumbs up for Gray, Gray!

10. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

#1 Gray,Black
    #2 Gray, Gray
    #3 Black, Gray

Man those 19's look great with that color!!!

11. MikeK

Gray, Gray gets my vote.

If you go for a black car, I think Black looks awesome with the silver wheels (and so, apparently does Elon). It needs that "pop".

12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

There's a local shop that charges $100 per wheel and all the wheels Ive seen them do look really nice. I'm having them do 2 of my Roadster wheels after a tire shop scratched them. The tire shop is paying for it.

13. MikeK

Not bad at all. Is it an autobody shop, an industrial powdercoat/paint shop, or...? Just wondering what to look for!

14. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Wow!

The grey-grey is really making me reconsider my blue car option.

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#15 tdelta1000, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    The painted 19 inch wheels look pretty cool and would add a nice custom touch.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Does powder coating offer any protection by any chance from alloy wheel pitting owing to brake dust? Does the Model S have a brake dust problem to begin with?!

17. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

To answer an earlier question: I asked this week about pricing for an extra set of 19" wheels yet - TM has not set pricing yet, or that's what they tell me.

18. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

It's a machine shop. If I remember the process as they described it, they first soak it in a solution that removes any existing finish and impurities. Then apply a primer chemical that helps bond the paint to the metal. Then apply the powder. Then bake it. I saw some nice 2-color wheels they had done.

http://www.racemetalsmiths.com/
    Tell them the guy with the Tesla Roadster sent you.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#30 ?

20. MikeK

Thanks for the info!