Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the SF Bay Area Folks I can recommend a shop on the peninsula (Belmont). They are the ones who did the grey coating for the "Final 5" roadsters for Tesla (and have done motorcycle wheels for me). I am planning to get my Roadster's wheels coated grey once our Model S arrives (so we'll have a 3rd car to take my Roadster out of commission). I need to check w/ my TM source to see if I can post publicly.

For the SF Bay Area Folks I can recommend a shop on the peninsula (Belmont). They are the ones who did the grey coating for the "Final 5" roadsters for Tesla (and have done motorcycle wheels for me). I am planning to get my Roadster's wheels coated grey once our Model S arrives (so we'll have a 3rd car to take my Roadster out of commission). I need to check w/ my TM source to see if I can post publicly.

If you're taking your Roadster out of commission, I'll pay for the shipping to Chicago so I can recommission it!

19" Grey Wheels?

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this site. Curious if anyone has customized their 19" rims either by painting, powder coating, or asking your configuration expert through Tesla? I like the look especially with the black, gray, and white exterior colors. I saw a thread a few months ago on this site but not sure if anyone has followed through with their initial intentions. My local sales rep at the UTC store mentioned that its possible to do this through the factory for an additional fee but I'm not sure how truthful she was being.

While I like the look of the 21" wheels, the 19" standard wheels are still good looking and more functional in general. Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Hey sdfan, I started the thread regarding powder coating the wheels. I don't have my car yet (another week or so?!?)...after it arrives I'll see how I'm feeling (and how my bank account is feeling) and maybe spring for the powder coat in a few months. I've also tossed around the idea of just getting the 21s, but want to see how long the tires are lasting for people.

Welcome sdfan from a fellow Carlsbad-ian.

I'd be surprised if the factory wants to get involved in painting or powder coating wheels. Anything that deviates from the normal assembly line process doesn't seem to be anything Tesla wants to do (i.e., the custom paint colors that were only available for a very short time before Tesla eliminated that option).

Hey sdfan, I started the thread regarding powder coating the wheels. I don't have my car yet (another week or so?!?)...after it arrives I'll see how I'm feeling (and how my bank account is feeling) and maybe spring for the powder coat in a few months. I've also tossed around the idea of just getting the 21s, but want to see how long the tires are lasting for people.

Can you post the link? We'll merge them. Thanks.

I powder coated Audi R8 oem wheels this summer. Came out great. I'm sure this is what makes gray tesla wheels gray.

I pad $400 for a set. People reported as cheap as $250 but Bay Area pricing, only fair.

There is vigorous web debate about the practice. Wheel manufacturers will tell you the heat lowers the structural integrity of the metal. People with science degrees say this is absurd and wheel manufacturers just want to sell you new wheels. My analysis led me to believe the latter. I've done a couple of very hard track days on them with no problems.

I had a set of stock Audi five-arm double-spoke aluminum wheels powder coated in a satin black finish. I have had them for over two years and they still look perfect. I track the car a bit and generate plenty of brake dust. The wheels get cleaned frequently and I have no issues. It is best to find an experienced local shop to do the work.

006.jpg

R8cropped.jpg

I had a set of stock Audi five-arm double-spoke aluminum wheels powder coated in a satin black finish. I have had them for over two years and they still look perfect. I track the car a bit and generate plenty of brake dust. The wheels get cleaned frequently and I have no issues. It is best to find an experienced local shop to do the work.

Those look great. I may look into that as I think black sport wheels would go with the Sig Red better than gray.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I look forward to seeing mcornwell's S driving around Carlsbad. Todd, I also wanted to thank you for your mockups and starting the thread in the first place. I agree those Audi rims look amazing. As a someone who knows nothing about the powder coating process, it seems like it can be done with a matte, satin, or high gloss look? My personal preference would be a satin look much like the 21" performance greys with perhaps a white, grey, or black exterior. I don't believe that would void the warranty since you are still using the OEM wheels? Thanks again.

My personal plan is reserve by the end of the year. Like many of you I'm still somewhat worried about the long term viability after 2013 and I would like to see what the Model S 1.5 version upgrades might be. I'm also hoping I can make some money from my stock by then to justify the expense.

006.jpg

R8cropped.jpg

Another R8 to Model S convert!

006.jpg

R8cropped.jpg

That black is perfect. I don't know why Tesla didn't offer black as an option.

That black is perfect. I don't know why Tesla didn't offer black as an option.
Audi didn't either so don't feel too bad!:cool: (they actually do now with the '014 R8 V10 Plus)

- - - Updated - - -

Another R8 to Model S convert!
Yup - very different beasts, aren't they? One is very loud, obnoxious, and very fast. One is quiet, sexy, and very fast. My neighbors like the Tesla better. :wink::redface: Do you have enough room in your garage for both?

Whats the name of the shop and how much so they charge?

will be going for a fully blacked out look on my model s when it arrives (black car, black tint, black interior leather, black wheels

Has anyone done this yet to their set of 19's? Is there a plastic center cap on the 19" rims?

I got a quote from a local shop to powder coat them and it was going to be $350. They mentioned that they couldn't do the center caps if they were plastic...

For anyone in Texas, Wheel Technologies is absolutely fantastic. They refinished a set of Land Rover wheels for me in grey (similar to the Tesla 21" grey color) and the job was fast and flawless for about $350. They have locations in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

http://www.wheeltechnologies.com

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone done this yet to their set of 19's? Is there a plastic center cap on the 19" rims?

I got a quote from a local shop to powder coat them and it was going to be $350. They mentioned that they couldn't do the center caps if they were plastic...

Regarding the company I just posted about above, Wheel Technologies refinished my plastic center caps in grey and they matched perfectly. Frankly I was surprised and expected them only to refinish the wheels themselves, but they asked for the caps and did everything.

I'm planning on having my 21" Gray Performance wheels done next week. Excited. Just completed install of 3M clear bra to front/rear ends/hood/mirrors, tints 45% - really clean looking. I wasn't planning on the full blacked out look, but I'm really not liking all the chrome. Many luxury cars do this, but just not my thing.

Anyway, I'll let you know how powder coating work is and drop some pictures on here. Would love to see what others have done too.