Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I surf around the TMC forums I am constantly impressed with the degree to which, shall we say, mileage varies, when it comes to wheel-color tastes. My own sentiments have been influenced greatly by my currently-owned car, an Audi, and my previous, a Mercedes, both of which had a tendency to produce so much black brake dust that the wheels would turn black in a month or so if I didn't clean them. So when I see all these photos of beautiful Teslas with shiny wheels and folks going oooh-ahh when said Tesla owners change to darkened wheels that look like my Audi or my old Benz I can't help but chuckle a bit. :) Different strokes....

+1. I also don't understand why people do this on the Model S. I understand it makes some sense for cars with a lot of brake dust. However, I think wheels are part of the car "jewelry" and prefer plenty of shine and reflection. Otherwise the wheels look like they're covered with brake dust which is not much of an issue for the MS. That said, I think the MS wheels offer very little bling and can understand why people want to improve them.

Cool! Thanks. I think a direct side view of the entire car, not at an angle, really shows off the wheels. It just seems to me they designed the MS for a 21 inch wheel. It's less for me about the size of the wheel, just performance and looks that matter. In my opinion there's too much empty space around the wheel vs other high performance sedans. Makes it look more like an Lexus or Infiniti than an Aston Martin or Jag. But I agree the ride of the 19's is fantastic!

Keith,

I'm traveling this week so I will post some more photos this weekend. I will instead answer your questions. The color is black and I did look at several different shades, but found this one the most aggressive looking and my wife choose this color/shade. As for the rim size I'm glad we choose the 19 because I find the ride a lot more comfortable than the 21 and yes I have rode in both several times. I did consider upgrading to 20 and that would be the biggest wheel i would put on the car due to cost and ride comfort, however, I was tried of spending money and this was a much affordable route.

If it was my car perhaps I might of put on the 20s but its not so this made more sense to me :)

I'll post some photos this weekend.

ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if you want anymore.

Ken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,453
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,456
You missed a spot. Moment...

Updated:

WhiteOut.png

With non-fugly whitewalls, I think I'd like it.

Caveat though: I hate white on cars generally, so I still wouldn't like it. ;)

Update 2:

Some quick and dirty whitewalls...

WhiteOutWithWalls.png

Last edited:
So i thought you guys might want to see a satin black finish on a 19". While there I was inspired by the many exotic and tastefully modded cars there at the shop so I decided to do a little more. Redid the brakes, rear diffuser (painted matte black) and painted the window trim gloss black. I think the black matte diffuser looks way better than that chrome and grey plastic look....even on a grey model S.

20130730_153847_zps2fcecc07.jpg

20130730_155913_zps0d451303.jpg

20130730_150657_zps1ee820b2.jpg

20130730_150645_zpsfb056a64.jpg

So i thought you guys might want to see a satin black finish on a 19". While there I was inspired by the many exotic and tastefully modded cars there at the shop so I decided to do a little more. Redid the brakes, rear diffuser (painted matte black) and painted the window trim gloss black. I think the black matte diffuser looks way better than that chrome and grey plastic look....even on a grey model S.

20130730_150657_zps1ee820b2.jpg

20130730_150645_zpsfb056a64.jpg

Did you paint the calipers or powder coat them?