Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

power blaster /neurio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isnt universal, as was shown in this thread. My own solar city install also did not have power flow in it.... however my install would not fit the CTs from the neurio.

If @PazzoPower has the neurio maybe they can see consumption, but it has to have CTs to do it. However, talking to tesla about "bait and switch" isnt going to get him anywhere, even if hes frustrated.

Having managed people in a call center (who are almost always recorded for review of calls), to have someone actually hang up on you normally means the conversation went VERY south. I wasnt there, but I would suggest another tact in speaking with them than whatever was said to make a rep who likely is recorded and monitored by his / her boss to hang up the call.

Agree it isn't universal, but it is the expected standard. Also, if someone doesn't get it they should be given a reasonable explanation. I'd even request the hardware be left behind so it could possibly be addressed later.

Also agree about the call center. It never does any good to get upset with a call center rep. If I'm not getting anywhere, I politely end the call and try again later. A different rep, different pitch, or different attitude can make the difference.

Reactions: jjrandorin
That isnt universal, as was shown in this thread. My own solar city install also did not have power flow in it.... however my install would not fit the CTs from the neurio.

If @PazzoPower has the neurio maybe they can see consumption, but it has to have CTs to do it. However, talking to tesla about "bait and switch" isnt going to get him anywhere, even if hes frustrated.

Having managed people in a call center (who are almost always recorded for review of calls), to have someone actually hang up on you normally means the conversation went VERY south. I wasnt there, but I would suggest another tact in speaking with them than whatever was said to make a rep who likely is recorded and monitored by his / her boss to hang up the call.

The Tesla tech on the phone got frustrated because she had no expertise.
All I said was, Are you even familiar with the app? It doesn't sound like you understand what I'm talking about. No bad language. The woman I spoke with did not understand the screen I was seeing with the treasure chest. Acting like she had never heard that before. She kept saying "don't you see the power bars on the upper right side?' I said " you aren't familiar with this app are you? Click!

I hope I was recorded so a supervisor will hear what problems are happening and train the call center employees to give correct information.

If a sales person, Tesla app photos, Tesla web site information all say the app monitors home consumption in real time but then doesn't provide that, then yes that is called bait and switch. Are they doing this to get people to buy power walls? Also, as you can see, I am not alone here so I bet Tesla is getting backlash from not providing what they are advertising. Tesla's app is a big selling point and if Tesla does not provide what is advertised that is call bait and switch.

My sales person went on and on about how cool the app is and elaborated about how he can see consumption changes in real time on the app. Saying he can see consumption go up when he turns a light on. I said cool! sign me up.

Furthermore I filled a support email with Tesla over 3 days ago and no response. I am being ignored.

I wrote emails to my sales person/main contact that was taking care of me great in the sales and install process, now he is ignoring my emails. I think Tesla knows what is going on.

This is why I filled a consumer affairs complaint.

Attachments

• Tesla App 2.jpg
    Tesla App 2.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Tesla App.jpg
    Tesla App.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 389
No, that isn't correct. Solar only installs should see power usage and flow from the grid. Below is what my app is showing. My inverter is asleep for the night, but my Power Blaster is reporting the electricity being used.

View attachment 579242

I see, that is so weird, I have PV (without power wall) and a power blaster installed. so I should see power flow, the grid and panels

hello - i just had solar panels installed last month and everything turned on last week. i have a solar panels only system with no powerwall. i am able to see energy output in the app now after calling customer support but no energy usage data.

after talking to customer care the rep told me that it is because they didn’t put in a “power blaster” and that if i want one now it is an extra charge to install it. that doesn’t sound right given that it seemed like it was supposed to be part of the system. they transferred me to tech support when i questioned it and my call was promptly dropped. after spending another hour on hold another rep told me again it was because they didn’t put in a power blaster because it “wouldn’t fit” in the breaker box so they decided not to sell or mention it me.

has anyone else had a similar experience? from searching other threads it sounds like they sometimes forgot to install it or put it in wrong, but all of the manuals say you should be able to monitor your energy usage so i don’t know why it would cost extra or be excluded without making sure i was aware of it. my understanding was that any upgrades needed to the breaker panel should have been part of the contract as well. i’ve tried calling and mailing the people who were responsible for scheduling the install as well but nobody seems to want to bother with me anymore. so far a terrible post sales experience.

Here is my Power Blaster installed. Not a Neurio.

Attachments

• Power blaster.jpg
    Power blaster.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 559
That sounds like BS about San Diego not allowing Power Blasters. I don't know why they would prohibit them unless they weren't UL approved or something along those lines.

Did you have a dedicated advisor you can reach out to?
I dont have a dedicated advisor. Just finished talking to another advisor just now and politely asked to escalate this issue. she is going to call me back with a supervisor on the line as well to see. I did remind her that in san Diego there are tesla solar customers who have power blaster installed. not giving up yet :). I will post my update once I hear back from the supervisor.

For general info, this article ( Energy Aware Secures C$1.5M, Changes Name to Neurio Technology ) indicates that Energy Aware Technology changed their name to Neurio Technology.

that name change appears from the article to have happened back in 2014.

Neurio’s website: Energy Monitor - Neurio, A Generac Company. Noticed they’ve been a Generac company since 3/2019.

Digging deeper saw they were a KickStarter funded company: Neurio: Home Intelligence.

We had our solar install and PW install done but still have a few maintenance issues including the addition of a Neurio to our panel box. Curious does the Tesla Gateway black box work basically like the Neurio Home Energy Controller?

BTW it took a day before my husband’s phone account app (with the treasure chest) was able to swipe to the Solar/PW screen. Assume it had to be configured in their system. We still need to have our inverter commissioned so no solar yet or PTO.

Last edited:
I’m curious to know whether anyone that had a solar install in which the Energy Aware Technology (now called Neurio) powerblaster PB1 was not installed by Tesla went and installed a Neurio W1 themselves (as the PB1 does not appear to be available to purchase) and whether they were then able to get the consumption data? I ask because the design drawings for my install (not yet done) does not show the inclusion of the PB1. Or should I try to get Tesla to add it to the design drawings used for permits?

If you wish to monitor energy consumption as well as generated solar energy, the Generac PWRview energy monitor, W2HEM, is easy to install and is compatible with most installations. To monitor consumption and generation, all you need is the W2HEM PWRview and a UCT2 CT kit for the solar.
W2HEM.jpg UCT2.jpg

Neurio is integeral to powerwall and isn't required for solar only install. if you have limits to what you can put on the grid, do they then install one, so solar will limit output?
I believe SolarEdge has a CT based solution for their inverters that can be optionally installed to automatically curtail production for export prohibited installations. I have only heard of this being used in Hawaii. It is used there because it's much easier and faster to get an installation approved by the utility if you agree not to export. This can also be paired with Powerwalls so that the solar automatically curtails after the PWs are full. I heard about this from @daniel

• Informative
Neurio is integeral to powerwall and isn't required for solar only install. if you have limits to what you can put on the grid, do they then install one, so solar will limit output?

I don’t believe so, because I don’t think the neurio can talk to the inverter. I think it is just installed so you can see how much power your home is using and how much you are drawing from or sending to the grid.

If you have export limitations I believe that they install an RS485 meter connected directly to the inverter.

I believe SolarEdge has a CT based solution for their inverters that can be optionally installed to automatically curtail production for export prohibited installations. I have only heard of this being used in Hawaii. It is used there because it's much easier and faster to get an installation approved by the utility if you agree not to export. This can also be paired with Powerwalls so that the solar automatically curtails after the PWs are full. I heard about this from @daniel

I can confirm that my system reduces production by the solar panels so they just supply the house when the Powerwalls are full because I'm not allowed to export more than a small amount for load balancing purposes. I have no idea what specific hardware accomplishes this.

Here on Maui (and presumably the rest of Hawai'i, but I can only speak for Maui) solar is so cost-effective, due to our abundant sunlight and the fact that the electric utility imports diesel from 2,500 miles away to run its generators, that a lot of people have installed solar. The upshot is that the utility cannot take any more excess daytime power. That's the reason I had to get the Powerwalls, though the silver lining is that I have power during outages, and my home and car are carbon-free.

• Informative
....and... you live in MAUI! Thats a pretty darn big silver lining, lol :) /e jealous

Maui is paradise.

I was referring to the silver lining of being unable to get net-metering. if I'd moved here a couple of years earlier (not sure the exact cut-off) I'd have been able to get net metering and probably would not have spent the additional money for the Powerwalls. I'd have had a more economical system, but no power during outages.

thank you for the insight. based on your reply i called back to tech support again to ask about having someone come back out to install the power blaster. after a couple more times on hold this rep told me that i *was* supposed to have a power blaster installed and that they would email the operations manager and send someone back out to install it. they told me that they would get back to me by tuesday of next week, but i wasn’t able to get a callback number or contact information from the rep. she told me she would send me an email so that i would have her email address (but i haven’t received anything yet). hopefully they do follow through. otherwise i will just keep calling. thanks again for the comments.. after being treated like a nuisance by several of their support reps i was beginning to wonder if i was going nuts thinking that this was supposed to be part of the standard install.

Just found this thread after posting my similar experience. Anyone was able to hold Tesla accountable for fixing this?

I"m in the same boat!! Just had my system activated yesterday and Tesla is telling me that their 3rd party manufacturer no longer makes the "solar blaster". Tesla said the ONLY way for me to get the grid view etc its to add the powerwall and gateway. Bait and Switch!!! wtf!? They also gave me this BS that "San Diego doesn't like when we install them". What the hell is going on? I fi knew this I probably would have gone with a different system. Basically forcing me to add powerwalls? I'm ready to start a class action....