Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

power blaster /neurio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The install of my solar glass roof in northern Virginia (no powerwalls) should be done today (fingers crossed). Because I had read this thread in October, when the electricians arrived midway through my install I asked them about the power blaster. Their initial pull sheet did not include a power blaster. I told them (and my installation advisor) that monitoring was very important to me and asked if they could include a power blaster for me. There was an unrelated problem with the initial pull sheet, so the electricians had to return a second day with the correct parts. On the second electrical install day, they brought and installed a power blaster for me. I can't be sure how much my request and/or the fact that the electricians had to return another day anyway factored into the end result of getting a power blaster.

I'm very thankful for the info others have posted here since I would not have known anything about this otherwise!

The head electrician mentioned that Tesla was phasing out the power blasters and moving to a different solution. He did not reveal anything more specific than that, so it still isn't clear to me whether my power blaster was accidentally or purposefully omitted.

All of this being said, I have yet to see anything in the app since my install is not yet complete - hopefully it shows all the important data once things are up and running.

Reactions: GuyDude
The install of my solar glass roof in northern Virginia (no powerwalls) should be done today (fingers crossed). Because I had read this thread in October, when the electricians arrived midway through my install I asked them about the power blaster. Their initial pull sheet did not include a power blaster. I told them (and my installation advisor) that monitoring was very important to me and asked if they could include a power blaster for me. There was an unrelated problem with the initial pull sheet, so the electricians had to return a second day with the correct parts. On the second electrical install day, they brought and installed a power blaster for me. I can't be sure how much my request and/or the fact that the electricians had to return another day anyway factored into the end result of getting a power blaster.

I'm very thankful for the info others have posted here since I would not have known anything about this otherwise!

The head electrician mentioned that Tesla was phasing out the power blasters and moving to a different solution. He did not reveal anything more specific than that, so it still isn't clear to me whether my power blaster was accidentally or purposefully omitted.

All of this being said, I have yet to see anything in the app since my install is not yet complete - hopefully it shows all the important data once things are up and running.

Congrats!! let us know how it goes and post some pics! :)

Damn. I wasn't able to get one, they basically said since many/most customers end up installing powerwalls it ends up being a waste of a couple hundred bucks. In hindsight I should have just offered to pay it. That said, I am going to add powerwalls as soon as I can spare the $18k to do so…

My panels were installed a few weeks ago, (no Powerwall) PTO is pending. I noticed that the power blaster is laying in a box on the ground. I am assuming that Tesla did not find space to install of was to lazy to do it. If were were to install it my self, how do you integrate in with Tesla up?

My panels were installed a few weeks ago, (no Powerwall) PTO is pending. I noticed that the power blaster is laying in a box on the ground. I am assuming that Tesla did not find space to install of was to lazy to do it. If were were to install it my self, how do you integrate in with Tesla up?

Unfortunately I don’t think there is any way for you to integrate it yourself. It needs to be done by tesla on the back end. However, there have definitely been a few people who reported that their powerblaster wasn’t reporting to tesla and they called support and were able to get it worked out. Since you already have the device you could connect it and then after PTO when you get access to your app you could call Tesla and tell them that you aren’t seeing your power usage data in the app. Perhaps then they would be able to connect it to your account.

If you provide tesla with the SN and Mac they will activate for you

Reactions: Alex_M
I had the same problem. I got PTO last Friday, and only getting solar production graph.
Call this morning, told them the power blaster S/N number, and the 16 digitals MAC number.

The reps was able to update my account with the power blaster information which I provided. Within 10 mins, my apps screen shows 3 circles. (Grid) - (Home) - (Solar). I see Solar is moving into my home. No (Grid) information.

After sunset, all 3 circles grey out.

My guess is the power blaster data have not update in the server yet. But my account is setup to get the information.
The reps told me, they update at mid-night everyday. I will wait to see what happen tomorrow morning.

But it's moving in the right direction.

When you call, tell them you have the power blaster installed, but it's not registered into the system yet. You have the S/N and Mac address. Then they will know what to do.

Since it doesn't have my home consumption data, I got a 1000%+ energy offset. :)

IMG_7C65382202D3-1.jpeg
IMG_6A225E4E12A2-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have the model # if i wanted to add one myself and see if I can get Tesla to activate it?

IMG_20200903_143449768.jpg

I don't think you can buy this online. It looks like a special version for Tesla. Because Neurio get sold to Generac, and my guess is Generac don't want to create a device for Tesla. end of life then.

Even you can get hold of one, it's a very difficult job in some case, If you have 4 wires, like mine, You need to buy an extra pair of CT, and because it's very tight to fit 4 CTs over 4 wires. My installer has to remove my meter, and pull out all the main wire from meter to install.

If you only have two wires, and it's at the top. Then it should be easier. Also because you have to move around the wire inside, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

View attachment 617840

I don't think you can buy this online. It looks like a special version for Tesla. Because Neurio get sold to Generac, and my guess is Generac don't want to create a device for Tesla. end of life then.

Even you can get hold of one, it's a very difficult job in some case, If you have 4 wires, like mine, You need to buy an extra pair of CT, and because it's very tight to fit 4 CTs over 4 wires. My installer has to remove my meter, and pull out all the main wire from meter to install.

If you only have two wires, and it's at the top. Then it should be easier. Also because you have to move around the wire inside, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

ah interesting. I guess with my eagle 200 I can kinda approximate the relevant info anyway, just need to get off my ass and finish getting the modbus stuff I need to get my real-time output from the inverter into home assistant.

I am just glad that I found this page because the Tesla customer service have been giving me a run around.

I just got my solar installed (without powerwall) and was not able to see the consumption data. Called the customer service and did the dance with them and found out that they didn't install the power blaster. on further questioning I was told that the city of san diego doesn't allow the power blaster installation. this doesn't seem to be true based on this thread and Tesla is just trying to cut corners on the cost.

I would definitely keep pressing them for this but meantime, if someone has gotten attention to this issue by calling some specific Tesla team then please chime in...thanks for the help!!

I'm in San Diego too, and I did not get one installed either. I escalated to the resolutions team, we will see what they say.

Like many of you, I just had my solar panel installed in March with the new Tesla inverter. I was surprised that I am only getting production and not usage or consumption. The ad on Tesla website clearly shows home, grid, and solar energy flow. When I ask the lead installing tech when the system was installed he said once I get the PTO, those data will show on the Tesla app. Well I got the PTO within a few days and nothing has changed, it has been a month and still nothing. I'd call Tesla energy support at least 5 times but keep getting the run around saying they are still waiting to hear back from the supervising tech. The last support rep finally told me that the tech notes states my e panel does not have enough room to install a power blaster. I'd called BS and said my e panel has plenty of room and slots available. I'd ask to speak to the lead tech for clarification but she refuses to take further action. The support rep got very rude and raised her voice saying that theres nothing they can do and keeps refering to the tech notes saying my panel has no room. I was shock and felt like I just got bait and switched. To add insult to injury I'd also felt scolded by the support rep for not accepting her decision. I strongly feel there should be a class action lawsuit filed. They have to deliver what was advertised or offer suggestion on how they can resolve customer's concerns. Tesla's customer service sucks to say the least!

I ended up getting my Blaster through a huge run around last year about 1 week after they stopped offering the solution. From what I have read and found out, is that Tels is not using a different model inverter and setup but not sure if anything has changed on the blaster front. And from your post it sounds liek that is not the case. Maybe they are offering the solution again and there is some other technical reasons outside of space that they could not install it. I do know if you don't mind not getting the info directly on the Tesla app relating to consumption, you could on your own add in a CT solution like:

or

The Tesla app without the Powerblaster is shoing you exactly what they installed. Which is what Solar is producing. But the other CT's that are sold outside of Tesla will show you all other details like what the Blaster offers but inside their own app interface.

Good luck.

Instead of arguing over whether there is room, pull (carefully) the panel cover and take a picture to show that there is room and that there is no power blaster. Send support an email with the picture, and request again a power blaster. Keep the picture convenient so you can send it to a support rep if you call again and get the same BS.

I had the same problem. I got PTO last Friday, and only getting solar production graph.
Call this morning, told them the power blaster S/N number, and the 16 digitals MAC number.

The reps was able to update my account with the power blaster information which I provided. Within 10 mins, my apps screen shows 3 circles. (Grid) - (Home) - (Solar). I see Solar is moving into my home. No (Grid) information.

After sunset, all 3 circles grey out.

My guess is the power blaster data have not update in the server yet. But my account is setup to get the information.
The reps told me, they update at mid-night everyday. I will wait to see what happen tomorrow morning.

But it's moving in the right direction.

When you call, tell them you have the power blaster installed, but it's not registered into the system yet. You have the S/N and Mac address. Then they will know what to do.

Since it doesn't have my home consumption data, I got a 1000%+ energy offset. :)
Hi, Do you remember what department did this for you, was it general support or activation? Planning on calling to get my power blaster activated since I just took picture of it to get the SN and MAC (EUI?).