Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

power blaster /neurio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello - i just had solar panels installed last month and everything turned on last week. i have a solar panels only system with no powerwall. i am able to see energy output in the app now after calling customer support but no energy usage data.

after talking to customer care the rep told me that it is because they didn’t put in a “power blaster” and that if i want one now it is an extra charge to install it. that doesn’t sound right given that it seemed like it was supposed to be part of the system. they transferred me to tech support when i questioned it and my call was promptly dropped. after spending another hour on hold another rep told me again it was because they didn’t put in a power blaster because it “wouldn’t fit” in the breaker box so they decided not to sell or mention it me.

has anyone else had a similar experience? from searching other threads it sounds like they sometimes forgot to install it or put it in wrong, but all of the manuals say you should be able to monitor your energy usage so i don’t know why it would cost extra or be excluded without making sure i was aware of it. my understanding was that any upgrades needed to the breaker panel should have been part of the contract as well. i’ve tried calling and mailing the people who were responsible for scheduling the install as well but nobody seems to want to bother with me anymore. so far a terrible post sales experience.

They originally installed this on my breaker box without telling me and taking up a breaker slot. The solar electrical hardware team (that installed the inverter and other ground lever hardware) were incompetent. For example, they used a piece of pallet wood to stand-off mount the inverter. Really professional. But I digress..

Not surprised they didn’t tell you since there was no open breaker space this was omitted. I only know about this because I had a tech come and replace it as a follow up and then it was removed when my PWs were installed.

I would push for this to be installed. There is no reason they can’t install half-width breakers in other slots unless every single one you have is already half width or you have exceeded density requirements. This should have been part of the original design. Takes a few minutes to swap out two breakers to open up a full slot since they need one.

thank you for the insight. based on your reply i called back to tech support again to ask about having someone come back out to install the power blaster. after a couple more times on hold this rep told me that i *was* supposed to have a power blaster installed and that they would email the operations manager and send someone back out to install it. they told me that they would get back to me by tuesday of next week, but i wasn’t able to get a callback number or contact information from the rep. she told me she would send me an email so that i would have her email address (but i haven’t received anything yet). hopefully they do follow through. otherwise i will just keep calling. thanks again for the comments.. after being treated like a nuisance by several of their support reps i was beginning to wonder if i was going nuts thinking that this was supposed to be part of the standard install.

@vivien this same thing happened to me just now on my install. I couldn’t figure out why the app only showed solar production and not usage or impact, as it was advertised in the app. Turns out that they didn’t install a power blaster. Did they install one for you? The app is pretty useless without that data. Thanks.

I have a new system installed and activated last week. It took them 5 days to figure out why I can't log in on my mobile app even though my system was registered under my account. finally yesterday morning, they fixed some issues. They said that they are having issues with the data cloud.
now that I have my app working, I couldn't see the usage data. so I called customer service. they said that since there was no space on my main electrical panel, so they didn't install the power blaster. they created a new sub-panel to install the solar.
so people who have the power blaster installed, does it need to be on your main panel?

I have a new system installed and activated last week. It took them 5 days to figure out why I can't log in on my mobile app even though my system was registered under my account. finally yesterday morning, they fixed some issues. They said that they are having issues with the data cloud.
now that I have my app working, I couldn't see the usage data. so I called customer service. they said that since there was no space on my main electrical panel, so they didn't install the power blaster. they created a new sub-panel to install the solar.
so people who have the power blaster installed, does it need to be on your main panel?
ok.. so after watching this video, it looks like you don't need an empty breaker. you can connect power blaster in the existing breaker as well. i need to call Tesla again tomorrow!

here is the link to the video:

FWIW, this happened to me (no installation of device for consumption), in 2015, when solar city installed it, for the same reason. They said "no room in your main panel".

Since I am not an electrician, I did not argue with tesla about whether there was room or not. In my case, it absolutely was NOT "no room to install a new breaker", because I had like 5 spots available, and 200 amp service. They were stating no physical room to install the CTs and device in the panel in my case, not "no room to install a new breaker".

If thats what tesla said to you guys, its unlikely they reverse course on this but I guess it doesnt hurt to try. I didnt get consumption until I just had powerwalls installed, in which case they put the neurino in the sub panel they installed.

If thats what tesla said to you guys, its unlikely they reverse course on this but I guess it doesnt hurt to try. I didnt get consumption until I just had powerwalls installed, in which case they put the neurino in the sub panel they installed.

so they did put a sub-panel since there was no space on my main panel. i have 100amp main panel which is now diverted to sub-panel and inside the house panels with all the breakers. i agree the breaker panel doesn't have any space but the sub-panel is brand new and they should have put the power blaster there.

so they did put a sub-panel since there was no space on my main panel. i have 100amp main panel which is now diverted to sub-panel and inside the house panels with all the breakers. i agree the breaker panel doesn't have any space but the sub-panel is brand new and they should have put the power blaster there.

As I mentioned, I am not an electrician, and dont know where the CTs need to go to measure flow properly. Shrug.. they may not offer this anymore as @vadim-modelx stated. I admit that, now that I have the powerwall and can see consumption, its very nice.

I am just glad that I found this page because the Tesla customer service have been giving me a run around.

I just got my solar installed (without powerwall) and was not able to see the consumption data. Called the customer service and did the dance with them and found out that they didn't install the power blaster. on further questioning I was told that the city of san diego doesn't allow the power blaster installation. this doesn't seem to be true based on this thread and Tesla is just trying to cut corners on the cost.

I would definitely keep pressing them for this but meantime, if someone has gotten attention to this issue by calling some specific Tesla team then please chime in...thanks for the help!!

I am just glad that I found this page because the Tesla customer service have been giving me a run around.

I just got my solar installed (without powerwall) and was not able to see the consumption data. Called the customer service and did the dance with them and found out that they didn't install the power blaster. on further questioning I was told that the city of san diego doesn't allow the power blaster installation. this doesn't seem to be true based on this thread and Tesla is just trying to cut corners on the cost.

I would definitely keep pressing them for this but meantime, if someone has gotten attention to this issue by calling some specific Tesla team then please chime in...thanks for the help!!

The Tesla app does not work as advertised.
I just had Tesla solar installed, No power wall. got system online last week, There was a problem linking my email with the app. Tesla fixed the issue after a long run around.
I have a power blaster installed on my panel, but my app only shows solar panel output, No home consumption or grid use or flow. No power flow screen on the app. Only this dumb treasure chest in the upper right corner. I called and sent many emails about this issue with no response. One tech hung up on me after I was on hold for over 50 min. This is a bait and switch, The app store shows power flow on the Tesla app photos, My sales person and The Tesla web site says see home consumption in real time.
Did the Tesla app change is power flow only available for power wall customers? if so, I was never told.
See photos of my Tesla app and what the app store and Tesla shows.
I got so frustrated I opened a case with the Los Angeles Department of Consumer affairs.
I really wanted the app to work like they said.
Tesla was great up until the solar was installed, now no customer service.

Attachments

• Severino telsa app.PNG
    Severino telsa app.PNG
    195.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Tesla App 2.jpg
    Tesla App 2.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Tesla App.jpg
    Tesla App.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 205
hello - i just had solar panels installed last month and everything turned on last week. i have a solar panels only system with no powerwall. i am able to see energy output in the app now after calling customer support but no energy usage data.

after talking to customer care the rep told me that it is because they didn’t put in a “power blaster” and that if i want one now it is an extra charge to install it. that doesn’t sound right given that it seemed like it was supposed to be part of the system. they transferred me to tech support when i questioned it and my call was promptly dropped. after spending another hour on hold another rep told me again it was because they didn’t put in a power blaster because it “wouldn’t fit” in the breaker box so they decided not to sell or mention it me.

has anyone else had a similar experience? from searching other threads it sounds like they sometimes forgot to install it or put it in wrong, but all of the manuals say you should be able to monitor your energy usage so i don’t know why it would cost extra or be excluded without making sure i was aware of it. my understanding was that any upgrades needed to the breaker panel should have been part of the contract as well. i’ve tried calling and mailing the people who were responsible for scheduling the install as well but nobody seems to want to bother with me anymore. so far a terrible post sales experience.

I just had Tesla solar installed, No power wall. got system online last week, There was a problem linking my email with the app. Tesla fixed the issue after a long run around.
I have a power blaster installed on my panel, but my app only shows solar panel output, No home consumption or grid use or flow. No power flow screen on the app. Only this dumb treasure chest in the upper right corner. I called and sent many emails about this issue with no response. One tech hung up on me after I was on hold for over 50 min. This is a bait and switch, The app store shows power flow on the Tesla app photos, My sales person and The Tesla web site says see home consumption in real time.
Did the Tesla app change is power flow only available for power wall customers? if so, I was never told.
I got so frustrated I opened a case with the Los Angeles Department of Consumer affairs.

Attachments

• Severino telsa app.PNG
    Severino telsa app.PNG
    195.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Tesla App 2.jpg
    Tesla App 2.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Tesla App.jpg
    Tesla App.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 178

You should be able to see your consumption and what is pulled from the grid if you have only Tesla Solar and the Power Blaster installed. That is what I have and I'm able to see it.

Please forgive a silly question, but have you checked the Power Blaster breaker in your panel? My installer left it off and I had to turn it on.

Also, if your Tesla Gateway (the little black box the installer should have told you to hook to your network) is too far from your panel, it might not be able to receive the signal. I had mine pretty far away and it was able to get the inverter signal, but not the Power Blaster signal. Now I have it on the other side of the wall in the garage.

If that isn't it, Tesla Tech support should help you figure it out or send out a maintenance team to fix the issue if they can't do it remotely.

chiming in. Same thing here. They no longer offer it or do it. I offered to pay and no go.

Also noticed that this page has been updated with new language "If your solar system is equipped with load monitoring, the My Home screen shows your power flows."

Tesla App Overview for Solar Panels | Tesla

Now, am trying to decide if I want to purchase Neurio W1-HEM and havb it installed and use their software for monitoring.
You are right. Only the power wall gives you power flow. I do have the power blaster installed by Tesla but the app is does not show flow or consumption.
My sales person never told me this. And the Solar part of Tesla site says Monitor consumption anywhere in the world. Bait and Switch.
Question, If we have the power blaster, then we should be able to see it with 3rd party software like Neurio??

That sounds like BS about San Diego not allowing Power Blasters. I don't know why they would prohibit them unless they weren't UL approved or something along those lines.

Did you have a dedicated advisor you can reach out to?

That sounds like BS about San Diego not allowing Power Blasters. I don't know why they would prohibit them unless they weren't UL approved or something along those lines.

Did you have a dedicated advisor you can reach out to?
My sales person said he would be my go to contact, but now he wont return my calls. And one of the techs hung up on me when I got frustrated when she didn't understand I was not seeing power flow. Something is very fishy about this.

You are right. Only the power wall gives you power flow. I do have the power blaster installed by Tesla but the app is does not show flow or consumption.

No, that isn't correct. Solar only installs should see power usage and flow from the grid. Below is what my app is showing. My inverter is asleep for the night, but my Power Blaster is reporting the electricity being used.

Screenshot_20200821-224624.png

Reactions: h2oAok
No, that isn't correct. Solar only installs should see power usage and flow from the grid. Below is what my app is showing. My inverter is asleep for the night, but my Power Blaster is reporting the electricity being used.

View attachment 579242

That isnt universal, as was shown in this thread. My own solar city install also did not have power flow in it.... however my install would not fit the CTs from the neurio.

If @PazzoPower has the neurio maybe they can see consumption, but it has to have CTs to do it. However, talking to tesla about "bait and switch" isnt going to get him anywhere, even if hes frustrated.

Having managed people in a call center (who are almost always recorded for review of calls), to have someone actually hang up on you normally means the conversation went VERY south. I wasnt there, but I would suggest another tact in speaking with them than whatever was said to make a rep who likely is recorded and monitored by his / her boss to hang up the call.

• Disagree
Reactions: PazzoPower