Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power consumption increase - only due to temperature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My usual commute in the morning is around 20km. When it's summer I get around 180Wh/km, going up to 230Wh/km in fall (10-15 degrees Celsius). At 3 degrees things change pretty steep at 340-380Wh/km, car is preconditioned before leaving. Can the PTC consume so much more? Climate is set on auto at 21.5 celsius

My usual commute in the morning is around 20km. When it's summer I get around 180Wh/km, going up to 230Wh/km in fall (10-15 degrees Celsius). At 3 degrees things change pretty steep at 340-380Wh/km, car is preconditioned before leaving. Can the PTC consume so much more? Climate is set on auto at 21.5 celsius
The cabin heating is only half of what is going on. The battery is getting heated as well. Check your app when you precondition: you will see 3 orange squiggly lines on the top? That is telling you the battery is getting heated. Don't forget to reset your tire pressures. Tires set at 45 psi at 20 degrees can easily decrease to 39 psi at -5 Celsius.

Reactions: Droschke
I haven’t seen the bacon stripes for the battery heating and the pressure is set correctly.

Gave it few more days, but still experiencing strange consumption.
Charged to 90% for Monday morning, car setup to precondition before leaving. When started driving battery was 88%
Went to work, car parked outside (around 1-2 degrees celsius)
9h later went back home, car unplugged in the heated garage until it preconditioned for Today (2% drop from Monday evening)
Today had the usual commute, but car stayed in a heated garage during the day.

Now I see the following stats in teslafi:
Battery used: 64%
Km driven: 132.6
Rated km depleted: 260
Efficiency: 51%
The car reports using 36.6kWh for this distance at 276Wh/km, giving a total usable battery at 60kWh if only considering the driving (removed the percentages I have noticed while parked)
SMT is reporting nominal full at 73.4kWh

What am I missing that can cause this drain?

Last edited:
Here is the temperature efficiency for my 2020 Model S Dual Motor (Long Range). As you can see, the efficiency drops near 50% when the temperature gets below 25 degrees F.
Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 9.07.26 AM.png

I was up north one winter. Had same drop. I stopped by Service Center. He said ""battery pack needs to be around 68 degrees, heater or cooler is working to keep that temp."". Watch closely, see if really gets worse. Then ask SC to test. Teslafi is very good at giving you details.

Stats after the last charge:
98.7 km for 26.5kWh (268Wh/km) - high, but let's say ok for the temp.
Percentage of battery used: 47% - does not make sense as the car is parked most of the time in a heated garage (20 degrees Celsius). It stayed outside for only 3h since charge without significant percentage drops after.

At around 40% when the pack voltage is at at around 350V, wot is dropping the pack voltage at 250V. The amperage cannot follow and power is reduced. Releasing the accelerator the pack voltage goes back to 350V.
At 21% the power limit came in and only grew bigger until 15% when I plugged the car to charge.
Curious to see what the SC will verify and what the outcome will be. Have not seen this behavior reported here