TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power Consumption when Tesla is "On" in Park

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gctseng, Jul 1, 2013.

1. gctseng

gctseng All around good guy

Does anyone have any estimates of how much power the MS uses when it's parked and the system is on (not charging)? Let's assume the AC is on as well, though maybe at a setting that is a couple of degrees within external temperature.

This may sound funny, but there are days when I feel I'd rather work in the Tesla with my laptop instead of running AC for the entire house.

2. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

I can hear it now. "Honey, can you bring me some more ketchup" Great idea !

Dining.jpg

3. gctseng

HAHAHA. That is an awesome picture, and partially true. During last winter, I actually worked in our Prius for a portion of the day as it was like a mini-greenhouse in there when the sun was out, and our dog really liked hanging out with me in there as it felt like a big den to him. Even when it got really cold, I could just turn on the heater for about 5 minutes every 2-3 hours. Of course, I didn't want to leave the Prius "on" (otherwise the ICE would kick in every so often and burn gas) but more or less used it as a "cubicle on wheels". That also meant no radio as I didn't want to drain the 12V battery in the Prius--or the car wouldn't start!!!

It would be awesome if the MS had WiFi.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

Very little. You lose about 2 to 5 miles of range an hour, depending on external temperature.

I don't have know why Tesla built in a 30 minute time-out for A/C when off. My only guess would be is that since heating does take significant energy the app was really made to time out during winter, and now the timeout is just a (very) unwanted artifact in summer.

5. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

My guess would be because the AC compressor generates quite a bit of heat itself and without sufficient airflow across it, it could damage itself or something else -- maybe that's something that could be tweaked after more in-the-field experience is gathered.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

You sound like a candidate for one of these backyard office sheds.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If you don't close the door all the way, the climate control systems stay on. This is bad if you park at the airport, for instance, and don't quite shut your door fully when leaving. So, a 30 min cutoff so you don't drain your battery.

8. gctseng

Ahh, so I can pretty much then just figure how much it costs by determining how much 2-5 miles will cost in terms of kWh. Given I have the 85 kWh battery, and assuming the 300 mile range and 3 miles of range/hour for simplifying the calculation, then I'm guessing it's 1/100 of .85 kWh, or 850 Wh?

Yeah, Coincidentally, I'm planning to set-up a workshop in a 20-foot shipping container, but for "work", I'm fairly happy sitting in the MS, with the ergonomic chair and tunes on Slacker.

Now if I can only squeeze in a coffee-maker in the center console I'm designing...

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

So, can I expect the same thing sitting in traffic, creeping along - like trying to get out of the Bay Area before a holiday weekend? About once a week, I will need to do a 220 mile round trip in my S85 - having a bit of Range anxiety about that.

Omar

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You will also be creeping along at a few mph I'd imagine so that shouldn't be a huge hit on range (not as much as if you were driving 75 mph). If you have someplace to plug in for the weekend when you arrive (even if only a 110V outlet) that should make up for the range you lost while stuck in traffic.