TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power consuption: fan, headlights, stereo, heater etc

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by ffylling, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ffylling

ffylling Member

Does anyone knows how much watts every component in the Roadster will consume?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The fan, headlights and stereo are miniscule, less than 1%. The heat and A/C are different as they can cut range a good 10%.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#3 hcsharp, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    I would also add that the A/C uses very little power, less than 1%. But then again it rarely gets much above 90 deg F here (32C). The heater uses a lot of power - try to use the seat heaters instead which consume comparatively little power and therefore more efficient at keeping you warm. Wipers are low but on a hot humid rainy day you have to watch out because rain reduces your range by up to 10% and you probably have to run the heat, A/C, and wipers all at once to keep the windshield clear. Probably lights, too.

I see you're from Norway. High air density (when cold) also reduces range if you are going more than about 50 mph (80 kph). Cold batteries are a little less efficient. Keep it plugged in all the time you are not using it.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

The Model S is a different car than the Roadster, but I created a chart that shows how HVAC affects Roadster range a couple of years ago. It's HERE.

5. Alan

Alan Member

The biggest factor is however how you drive. For me I find range increases when it wet or icy even if using heating & AC. This is simply because I drive more slowly and accelerate more gently which saves far more power than the lights / AC / Heater uses.

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Interesting. My experience using the A/C is very different than yours. I can hardly measure any difference in range when it's on vs off. But the heater is a big consumer of power. I think the newer versions might have a more efficient A/C system.