Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power controller failure in my

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is report of repair to 2021 MY 15000 miles.
Found car in my garage totally dead requiring a tow to Tesla shop nearby. Below is report. Tow, handoff, loaner and pickup was handled flawlessly. I was concerned that a total failure could have happened on the road. I was locked out totally dead car.
Report from Tesla:
Verified customer concern, Found vehicle left hand side unresponsive to controls, Diagnosis found no power to vehicle left controller. Analysis of vehicle log and alert data found that Left hand controller suffered internal overcurrent issue causing safety disconnect feature of front controller to cut power to module. As such removed and replaced Left body control module. Updated firmware, Verified left side vehicle systems functioning. Performed systems check, all vehicle systems now operating normal.

Greetings all - I had the same experience during the holiday update to 2022.44.25.3 that either caused or coincidently had a left control module failure. Mobil service came and replaced 12V lead acid battery as it went flat since it was no longer supported by the high voltage battery. Mobil service couldn’t get the firmware to update so they had roadside tow it 150 miles to the service center where the module was replaced, firmware updated, tires aired & test driven. Tesla delivered back to my home repaired and just like new after 22K miles. No cost to me, satisfied customer!

Thanks for the details to both the OP and fittonro. This isn’t a failure that I’ve heard of before, and hopefully it remains a rare thing.

That being said, it’s only natural that they wouldn’t charge you for this. These cars have a 120K powertrain warranty and 50K comprehensive. I can’t imagine a situation where the owner would be on the hook for this under 50,000 miles.

Hi All, thanks for the post. Purchased a 23 model Y, and our controller failed (1 day after they installed a hitch, after market). Car was dead, had it for 5 days and finally figured out the issue.

Still have 2 problems (appreciate any feedback/comments)
1. Battery drains way to fast, I’m in Dallas and know it’s hot, imo the cars should be built to handle this? Anyone else having this issue?
2. Having issues charging to 90%, I set charging to start at 10pm, get a msg around 2am that charging is complete, but in the morning the battery shows as 67%. Tesla says it’s probably my wall charger??

Thanks in advance.

Hi All, thanks for the post. Purchased a 23 model Y, and our controller failed (1 day after they installed a hitch, after market). Car was dead, had it for 5 days and finally figured out the issue.

1. Battery drains way to fast, I’m in Dallas and know it’s hot, imo the cars should be built to handle this? Anyone else having this issue?
2. Having issues charging to 90%, I set charging to start at 10pm, get a msg around 2am that charging is complete, but in the morning the battery shows as 67%. Tesla says it’s probably my wall charger??

Thanks in advance.
Issue 2 - had the same story with my 2021 MYLR and they gave the same excuse. I ended up using my neighbors charger and it charged fine. They came and delivered. a new one FOC...

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr

Thanks in advance.
I am sorry you experienced such serious issues with your new car.

Battery drain depends critically on the status of the car. For example, my car sitting in my garage for 7 days with the sentry mode off consumed 2 miles of battery range.
If the car sits under the sun and the overheat protection is triggered at 34C or 36C, then the battery drain will be as if the AC works more-or-less all the time.
If the sentry mode is activated then I would expect some 5% battery use per day. Combined with overheat protection, this can be 10% loss per day.

You need to investigate your charging issue a little more. Is it a problem of your car, or the problem of overnight charging on schedule at your home? Could you charge to 90% at a supercharger, for example? When you set the schedule, there is the start time and then there is departure time and off-peak charge time. Like you, I usually set the start charging time only. Then, you have to double check you have the maximum charge at 90% and not 70%. By the way, what is your wall charger?

Battery drain depends critically on the status of the car. For example, my car sitting in my garage for 7 days with the sentry mode off consumed 2 miles of battery range.
If the car sits under the sun and the overheat protection is triggered at 34C or 36C, then the battery drain will be as if the AC works more-or-less all the time.
If the sentry mode is activated then I would expect some 5% battery use per day. Combined with overheat protection, this can be 10% loss per day.

You need to investigate your charging issue a little more. Is it a problem of your car, or the problem of overnight charging on schedule at your home? Could you charge to 90% at a supercharger, for example? When you set the schedule, there is the start time and then there is departure time and off-peak charge time. Like you, I usually set the start charging time only. Then, you have to double check you have the maximum charge at 90% and not 70%. By the way, what is your wall charger?
Thanks for the reply. This is very frustrating, I just got the car back and based on diagnostics tests, everything is “fine”. I keep my car in the garage (sentry mode off). I know it gets hot in the garage but to burn 10-15% seems excessive. Even driving 3-4 miles to my BILs house drained the battery like 7% (radio, AC was off). Not sure what else to ask Tesla to check, based on their diagnostics all is good. This is a long range Y as well.

Re the charging issues, I bought the Tesla wall charger, this issue of not charging to 90% started happening after the new controller was installed
Thanks all for the responses

I was able to charge to 90% at a Tesla SuperCharger, Even after it stopped, I manually started the charge and my Y charged to 90%. Guess next step is to call SuperCharger support, maybe get it replaced?

Update, after bringing my Y (2023 long range) to the service center (4 times), they said that it was an issue with the BMS (battery mgmt system), what gets me is that I had to bring the car 4 times and they couldn’t figure out. Was getting the standard BS party line “the miles are just an estimate “. For long range getting only 50 miles on a charge of 90% down to 15-20% tells me that it’s either a lemon or some other issue