Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if one of modules in PCS fail, then is the same error present ‘PCS_a019’? Or this error code associated only with 2 or module failures. I believe when only 1 out 3 module fails, then it does not show up on the screen but may be an error code I can ask for when it occurred under technical review from TSC.

Add me to the list 072542 M3P, August build date, 68000 miles but failed within warranty, however I didn't search the "dirty electric grid" issue because I was having work done to my home. can we can a list going somewhere? I've had the PTC heater fail as well, with another girl I met at the service center with the exact issue.

Add me to the list 072542 M3P, August build date, 68000 miles but failed within warranty, however I didn't search the "dirty electric grid" issue because I was having work done to my home. can we can a list going somewhere? I've had the PTC heater fail as well, with another girl I met at the service center with the exact issue.
They covered this under warranty with 68k miles?

They did not cover this under warranty, however my initial argument was this warning originally showed while the car was still under warranty w/ backup to no luck. I currently have a SCC process with FSD, I'll see how that progresses first.
We had a PCS failure on one of our earlier model 3's. Left us stranded at an EA station when attempting to use the chademo adapter. ~70k miles, outside of warranty. Tesla did not initially cover the repair since they list this under the general warranty but with the help of the info on this thread, I was able to have a discussion with the service manager who ultimately got approval from the district manager to cover it as a good will service (~$1800 IIRC). Hope you are able to get it covered.

We had a PCS failure on one of our earlier model 3's. Left us stranded at an EA station when attempting to use the chademo adapter. ~70k miles, outside of warranty. Tesla did not initially cover the repair since they list this under the general warranty but with the help of the info on this thread, I was able to have a discussion with the service manager who ultimately got approval from the district manager to cover it as a good will service (~$1800 IIRC). Hope you are able to get it covered.
Wow, ok maybe I will schedule this, and pray for the best, or at least just ask. Was it a friendly discussion?

Reactions: Yanquetino
Would you be willing to show any proof they covered it as good will? I ended up paying for mine but I’m not sure if I should go through SCC and use as much evidence or try arbitration

Would you be willing to show any proof they covered it as good will? I ended up paying for mine but I’m not sure if I should go through SCC and use as much evidence or try arbitration
Just searched for the service invoice stating Good Will. Unfortunately the invoice is no longer attached to the History page of my Tesla account since I have since sold the vehicle. Looking through my email, I was only able to find the original invoice requesting Cash pay.

Reactions: metalcoat
My car has the same issue. I get the Pre-Charge failed boost error whenever I plug in. I can charge at max 32 amps, and charge at 24 amps consistently. I dont want to spend the 1.5k and am tempted to just live with it. Should I? Or can it cause damage?

My car has the same issue. I get the Pre-Charge failed boost error whenever I plug in. I can charge at max 32 amps, and charge at 24 amps consistently. I dont want to spend the 1.5k and am tempted to just live with it. Should I? Or can it cause damage?
Do you want to be unable to charge? Consider this:
- One or two of your PCS units have already failed
- All 3 are likely from the same batch
- If one or two have already failed, what do you think is going to happen to the second and third ones soon?

This is kind of like asking the question: if one of my tires had cracks in the sidewall from a manufacturing defect and blew out on the freeway, should I replace all of my tires?

I don't think there's any real downside to waiting....except the possibility of suddenly being stuck with only 16a charging (or, less likely, a complete failure), and having to scramble to get it repaired. This could also turn into a situation where you live with the limitation, then end up fixing it so you can sell the car, saving yourself nothing and costing you the reduced function all that time.

Last edited:
This is kind of like asking the question: if one of my tires had cracks in the sidewall from a manufacturing defect and blew out on the freeway, should I replace all of my tires?
Not being able to AC charge is nothing like a blowout on the highway.
You can still supercharge / DCFC with the PCS failed, so it just becomes a hassle if all 3 fail. Given most people have only had one fail even after taking months to notice, the chance of the next 2 failing at the same time is super low. The most likely outcome is being stuck at 16A. When one of mine failed, the other two were fine for the next 8+ months before I got it repaired.

But I would also take Tesla to small claims over not covering it under warranty.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not being able to AC charge is nothing like a blowout on the highway.
You can still supercharge / DCFC with the PCS failed, so it just becomes a hassle if all 3 fail. Given most people have only had one fail even after taking months to notice, the chance of the next 2 failing at the same time is super low. The most likely outcome is being stuck at 16A. When one of mine failed, the other two were fine for the next 8+ months before I got it repaired.

But I would also take Tesla to small claims over not covering it under warranty.
Yeah and in order to take Tesla to small claims, you need to show that you were harmed. And to do that, you need to get those units replaced and save the invoice. Also, I would think that the sooner after the warranty expires, the better, as far as your chances at prevailing in small claims court.