Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all
i am new to this forum, let me know if this is the right place for this topic
has anyone done a DIY Modle PCS replacement ? any specific things to be aware of

youtube covers the pyro fuse repalcement (which is next to the PCS)
can you share procedures or best known methods to DIY PCS replacement

regards
LT123

I agree. Happy to send to anyone who needs it a copy of mine, but I wouldn’t expect it to be a silver bullet that means you would get it free as well.

When I went to pick up my car, I brought coffee and donuts for the entire service team. Why? Because I admit is sort of a gray area, but in the end they sided with my logic after a respectful discussion.

This was also during a time where I really didn’t want to bring my car into service unless absolutely necessary, because my SC was so overloaded they had to open on Sunday’s until SC’s opened in nearby cities. This was during the Model Y ramp.

Sent you a PM

I agree. Happy to send to anyone who needs it a copy of mine, but I wouldn’t expect it to be a silver bullet that means you would get it free as well.

When I went to pick up my car, I brought coffee and donuts for the entire service team. Why? Because I admit is sort of a gray area, but in the end they sided with my logic after a respectful discussion.

This was also during a time where I really didn’t want to bring my car into service unless absolutely necessary, because my SC was so overloaded they had to open on Sunday’s until SC’s opened in nearby cities. This was during the Model Y ramp.
Would you mind sending me yours? My car is 6 months out of warranty and stopped charging completely for several nights in a row. I messed with the charger a bit and got it to charge at 16amps a couple of times, but it won't go above that. I have an appointment for Friday at my SC and am hoping they will repair it under warranty.

How long did your repair take? My SC is almost 2 hours away so I'm trying to figure out if I'll have it repaired and able to get home that night or if I need to make different plans since they don't offer loaner vehicles any more.

Reactions: Vol16
My 2018 MR model 3 is in the shop now. I asked for the damaged PCS back. I was told Tesla can not return a HV part to the owner.

I’m in NY. I thought NYS consumer protection law prohibited repair centers from holding removed motor vehicle parts, but I assume that law may not have anticipated HV electric component safety issues.

I wonder how the ones I see on eBay got theirs back. I assume that they’re from wrecks.

It’s costing $1800 + tax to fix it. I’m disappointed, as we all are. Love the Model 3 still, but not happy with Tesla. My was manufactured in August of 2018 when the bulletin said there were mfg. issues with the PCS. Service rep. Said bad batch wasn’t in my car. There seems to be a good amount of these failures.
Do you happen to have a copy of that service bulletin?
This just happened on my 2018 (Nov build) model 3 performance with a PCS_a13_chgPrechargerFailedBoost error.
Car refused to charge over 7kW at destination chargers.
Saying it's a bad PCS module and sent me a quote of $1,800, smh

Attachments

• 16847632620976042751999438527388.jpg
    16847632620976042751999438527388.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 166

I would like to request a copy of that invoice please?
I put a service ticket in for not being able to charge over 7kW, and they're telling me it's a failed PCS module and sent me a invoice of $1,800, smh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520_141756_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520_141756_Drive.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 122
Do you happen to have a copy of that service bulletin?
This just happened on my 2018 (Nov build) model 3 performance with a PCS_a13_chgPrechargerFailedBoost error.
Car refused to charge over 7kW at destination chargers.
Saying it's a bad PCS module and sent me a quote of $1,800, smh
Why do you want the TSB? All a TSB is to help the technician diagnosis issues and provide instructions on how to perform the repairs. (It isn't a recall, so it doesn't extend the warranty...)

If you want to try to get Tesla to pay for the repair you would have to take them to arbitration or sue them in small claims court. (Since many of us feel that this should be covered under the battery warranty.)

Reactions: davidalindsey
Why do you want the TSB? All a TSB is to help the technician diagnosis issues and provide instructions on how to perform the repairs. (It isn't a recall, so it doesn't extend the warranty...)

If you want to try to get Tesla to pay for the repair you would have to take them to arbitration or sue them in small claims court. (Since many of us feel that this should be covered under the battery warranty.)
Just curious on the specific year models and what the information shows on it.
Would the only ill effect be that the car just cannot charge above 7 KW on AC charging? Not sure if it's worth it to pay $1,800 for 4 extra KW's

Just curious on the specific year models and what the information shows on it.
Would the only ill effect be that the car just cannot charge above 7 KW on AC charging? Not sure if it's worth it to pay $1,800 for 4 extra KW's
At this point only one of your three AC charging modules has failed, so you can charge at ~7kW instead of ~11kW. So at this point just slower charging. But it is likely another module will fail, then dropping you to ~3.8kW AC charging. And then that last one could fail leaving you with no AC charging.

So if ~7kW AC charging is OK with you, then you can pass on the repair at this time. (Maybe the cost will come down by the time the second module fails and you decide to get it repaired.)

At this point only one of your three AC charging modules has failed, so you can charge at ~7kW instead of ~11kW. So at this point just slower charging. But it is likely another module will fail, then dropping you to ~3.8kW AC charging. And then that last one could fail leaving you with no AC charging.

So if ~7kW AC charging is OK with you, then you can pass on the repair at this time. (Maybe the cost will come down by the time the second module fails and you decide to get it repaired.)
Yeah that's what I was thinking....
Just sucks cuz I just got this car about 3 months ago replacing my 2015 p85d that was totaled in an accident. And I'm going to spend more money on service on this 2018 car than the 2015.
I have the money for the repair it's just a matter of do I really want to spend it when I could spend it on other things, I was actually thinking about getting a onewheel recently and that's about the same price, lol
Attached is a screenshot of what the service advisor is saying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522_095825_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522_095825_Tesla.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20230522_095832_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522_095832_Tesla.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 97
Yeah that's what I was thinking....
Just sucks cuz I just got this car about 3 months ago replacing my 2015 p85d that was totaled in an accident. And I'm going to spend more money on service on this 2018 car than the 2015.
I have the money for the repair it's just a matter of do I really want to spend it when I could spend it on other things, I was actually thinking about getting a onewheel recently and that's about the same price, lol
Attached is a screenshot of what the service advisor is saying.
Would highly recommend removing the gen 4 chargeport ecu prior to your service visit, especially if your goal is to get a good will service out of this encounter. Tesla service techs spun around in circles on my last two service visits (at different SCs) and almost refused to work on the car due to this mod. IMHO it's probably best to wait for the OEM CCS retrofit if your car is having BMS or other charging issues.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Would highly recommend removing the gen 4 chargeport ecu prior to your service visit, especially if your goal is to get a good will service out of this encounter. Tesla service techs spun around in circles on my last two service visits (at different SCs) and almost refused to work on the car due to this mod. IMHO it's probably best to wait for the OEM CCS retrofit if your car is having BMS or other charging issues.
Yeah I've already mentioned to them because I'm sure they were going to look at the logs that I did a manual software reinstall for the Gen 4 charging ECU
But was having issues way before installing that.🤷

If you're interested on how the PCS works, this is a great video:

Each 16A "phase" is completely independent. The reality is that if one took years to fail, the chance of the others failing anywhere near the same time is very small, so running with 2 isn't a big deal. The standard range cars only come with two from the factory anyway.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I message the service advisor inquiring about it possibly being under the high voltage battery warranty.
Holy *sugar* what a surprise they say I would be correct that it would be covered under the warranty and I only pay $190 diagnostics fee to confirm and now they're going to replace it free of charge. Awesome, awesome, awesome...
I immediately went and approved that estimate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522_114527_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522_114527_Tesla.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20230522_114641_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522_114641_Drive.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 123
Holy *sugar* what a surprise they say I would be correct that it would be covered under the warranty and I only pay $190 diagnostics fee to confirm and now they're going to replace it free of charge.
Wow! Maybe they are finally coming to their senses... And it sounds like they will not charge the diagnosis fee if they determine that the PCS is the actual issue.

Get that car in to the shop as quick as you can. This is likely an error and not overall Tesla policy. For example, for a while some Tesla locations were installing AP HW3 for free if said you wanted it to subscribe to FSD. But if you let the appointment sit on the books for a few weeks, someone would audit it and then revise the estimate (which is not a contract).

Reactions: davidalindsey
Get that car in to the shop as quick as you can. This is likely an error and not overall Tesla policy. For example, for a while some Tesla locations were installing AP HW3 for free if said you wanted it to subscribe to FSD. But if you let the appointment sit on the books for a few weeks, someone would audit it and then revise the estimate (which is not a contract).
That's funny that you mention that because I actually ended up doing that a couple months back....
I had the AP computer 2.5, wanted the FSD computer.. they originally sent me an invoice for $1,000, I edited the invoice to take a line off of it and ended up getting the FSD computer completely free.. I think I just have an awesome service center.

UPDATE:
I message the service advisor inquiring about it possibly being under the high voltage battery warranty.
Holy *sugar* what a surprise they say I would be correct that it would be covered under the warranty and I only pay $190 diagnostics fee to confirm and now they're going to replace it free of charge. Awesome, awesome, awesome...
I immediately went and approved that estimate.
That’s great news! Hopefully they will stop forcing customers to argue this point before having it covered.

Ive been having issues installing my recent update now tesla is saying it might be a pcs issue. I did install a 1000watt amp recently im hoping this didnt cause the issue. Im going to remove my aftermarket stereo and hansshow kit before i take it in to them.