TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power down question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mones, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Mones

Mones Member

Hi,

I've tried to look around this thread with no avail (really not liking the new search function. Doesn't seem specific at all).

Anyways, I had a question that I've been meaning to ask and hopefully someone knows an answer.

Frequently, I'm driving around my Model S with my wife and I'll pop out of the car to quickly go into a store and get something (food pickup, coffee, etc). She'll sometimes decide to stay in the car because she enjoys listening to music or just relaxing in the seat.

Now the problem is that once the driver closes the door, the screen shuts off along with the music and everything else. I've tried leaving my fob with her or have her keep her fob with her, but this doesn't make a difference. The car still shuts down and the screen goes black.

Any way or setting that can change this so that the car can be made to stay on?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mike K

Mike K Member

Touch the screen. This seems so obvious but it took us a solid 4 months of ownership before we figured it out.

• Informative x 1
  3. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Some have left the driver door partially open but I think that if you just have her touch the center display (MCU) after you leave the car, everything will light up.

4. Tree95

Tree95 Member

Shift the car into neutral and use the screen to set the parking brake.

Or, get out of the car, but before closing the door, reach a leg in and press firmly on the brake pedal. Then close the door. The car will remain on.

5. Mones

Mones Member

Touch the screen.....She is in so much trouble if she hasn't tried that!

Thanks for the other suggestions as well! I'll make sure to try them out