Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug in the night before in Standard charge mode. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing that I do is go down to the garage and switch to Range charge. By the time I take a shower, eat breakfast, check my e-mail and TMC, etc, more than an hour has passed and the S has finished charging to a full Range charge, and I am ready to leave.
This is also a very simple (meaning great) way to ensure that you don't -- ever -- leave it at a full range charge for hours overnight (i.e. good for battery lifetime).

Plug in the night before in Standard charge mode. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing that I do is go down to the garage and switch to Range charge. By the time I take a shower, eat breakfast, check my e-mail and TMC, etc, more than an hour has passed and the S has finished charging to a full Range charge, and I am ready to leave.

Hopefully,Tesla will introduce some sort of scheduling capability where you can tell it you want it fully (i.e. Range) charged by a certain time, and the car can do this last minute topping off on its own.

Here's an additional data point:

Plugged in Model S yesterday evening with ~150 miles battery available and most mornings it's waiting for me at ~237 miles. I didn't go out today at all and just checked Model S (~24 hrs after plugging it in) to see it standing at 234. Charging would have finished late last night so that suggests something around 3-4 vampire miles.

(Now annoyed with myself for restarting the charge this evening; we don't need that many miles tomorrow and I could have just left it to see what it would be in the a..m Oh well...)

I plugged in my S late Thursday evening after returning home and didn't get back to it until Monday evening. The normal mode rated range stood at 237 miles, which is higher than I normally see after an overnight charge (usually 230-232 miles, only once as high as 240). On my home energy log I also see 10kw spikes every 24 hours over the last few days, suggesting that the S is waking up and topping off the charge, as the Roadster did.

I thought the sense of this forum was that the S would lose charge due to vampire loads, even when plugged in?

I plugged in my S late Thursday evening after returning home and didn't get back to it until Monday evening. The normal mode rated range stood at 237 miles, which is higher than I normally see after an overnight charge (usually 230-232 miles, only once as high as 240). On my home energy log I also see 10kw spikes every 24 hours over the last few days, suggesting that the S is waking up and topping off the charge, as the Roadster did.

I thought the sense of this forum was that the S would lose charge due to vampire loads, even when plugged in?

For an additional data point, I plugged my Model S in and didn't drive it for ~36 hours in order to watch the behavior discussed here. The car reached a full standard charge, then the range dropped through the day from full (242 miles, I think...I didn't actually check this value) to 228 miles by the time I went to sleep. When I awoke this morning, the car was back up to 236 miles of rated range. I don't have a log like stevezzz to check my home energy use, but it would appear that at some point during the night, the car topped off.

Interesting. Hopefully it will be possible to tell the car.....what hours you prefer for it to use energy, so that it can schedule these 10kW spikes sometime other than on-peak.

My pool pump can do that so even though the car is more complex I'd guess it shouldn't be too difficult. The tough part will be Tesla deciding what amendments/upgrades/developments they want to prioritize.

From the logs it seems the top-off finished around 4pm yesterday. I saw 237 miles rated range at about 7:15pm, while I was installing my new Lloyd's mats. This morning at 8am the range was down to 232; the car was plugged in the whole time.

Looks like the takeaways here are that 1) vampire draw really is a big deal and 2) for best range, try to arrange things so that charging finishes shortly before you intend to drive the car.

Lets hope the next software update makes it easy to time your charging, and that the smart phone app allows you to order a top-off charge remotely.

That would be great news if it's waking up and topping off! Version 1.15.8? It's possible my observations were on 1.9.11 -- I can't remember.

Yeah, I was running 1.15.8 when I observed the apparent topping off behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I was running 1.15.8 when I observed the apparent topping off behavior.

...and just to avoid confusion, I AM running 1.15.8 and was when I observed the apparent topping off behavior.

Nathanael

I thought that wiper speed was a "deal-breaker" for you?:
I thought someone said they had fixed that. :)

Or the cold weather package?:
They have that. Though global warming means it's suddenly not the issue it would have been five years ago, so I did change my mind on that. :eek:

Or lack of cup-holders?
They have that.

Are you certain you want this car? :wink:
I'd rather not have a car at all, but I don't have the billion + dollars necessary to set up a suitable public transportation system in my area on my own. :rolleyes:

I'm too hard-headed to buy a completely unreasonable car even if it looks pretty. My calculations were predicated on the Model S having a reasonably low vampire load; if the vampire load is too high, it actually costs more to *maintain* the Model S than it does to fuel a gasoline car, which makes it completely unreasonable. It's not clear to me yet exactly how much the vampire load currently is. If it's around 3 kWh/day, that's high, but still tolerable. If it's as much as 10 kWh per day, it's more expensive than buying gasoline (at the rate I drive).

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I see what you are doing there... but, his point was not the money, but the idea of losing a lot of miles each day that it sits idle. An earlier explanation was around leaving a car at the airport expeting to have the miles available when you get back in three weeks, but then finding too much leaked away.

Charging wasteland here, so this is a big issue. If parking the car for a couple of days eats range, suddenly the effective range of the car is reduced substantially.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a slightly different problem, but my point is that Tesla has a history of not always optimizing this stuff out the door, but then quickly working to resolve issues with firmware updates. New owners and reservation holders can feel anxious, but even when Tesla was a much smaller company, they kept at optimizations like this. Even Roadster 2.0 owners, such as myself, saw maybe a half dozen firmware updates in the first six months or so.

Good to hear. I am *so* glad I cancelled my Signature reservation. I don't want a "beta" car, I want the one after the fixes. I'll probably be happy with a June/July/August delivery. :tongue:

Charging wasteland here, so this is a big issue. If parking the car for a couple of days eats range, suddenly the effective range of the car is reduced substantially.

Yes they have to address this. Even if in daily use it has to draw some power to provide "instant on" response there should be a way to put the car to "sleep" for long term parking with a full or nearly full charge.

Yes they have to address this. Even if in daily use it has to draw some power to provide "instant on" response there should be a way to put the car to "sleep" for long term parking with a full or nearly full charge.

They are working on the software update that will address this issue if you don't want the car instant on at all times, you'll be able to reduce the drain and have it boot up I'd assume when you approach the car or unlock it with the key fob.

Charging wasteland here, so this is a big issue.

With others, I've lobbied and pushed for charge stations in our city but in reality I never use them myself. The reality of owning an EV is that you charge at home >90% of the time and you only need charge station on the places you drive to i.e. not where you live.

Ithaca is a charging wasteland, but I wouldn't have any range anxiety regarding the places I might like to drive to:
Untitled.jpg

With others, I've lobbied and pushed for charge stations in our city but in reality I never use them myself. The reality of owning an EV is that you charge at home >90% of the time and you only need charge station on the places you drive to i.e. not where you live.

Ithaca is a charging wasteland, but I wouldn't have any range anxiety regarding the places I might like to drive to:

The Syracuse stations are fictitious. If they actually become operative that would help a lot.

Even so, they're *still* in the wrong places: what I'd really need is charging stations at the train station.

In New Haven, United Illuminating (the local electric utility) installed a Chargepoint charger right at Union Station. So, it can be done!

A "deep sleep" mode would be very welcome. Still, the vampire load can easily be offset just by plugging into a 120v outlet, which are much easier to come by than 240v.