Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Extension - My Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

My power panel is in my garage (See Pictures). Do you think that my panel can accommodate a new 50 Amp breaker? Can I add 50 amp breaker myself without a licensed electrician?

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 75
I'm guessing that this is a sub-panel, since there don't appear to be any main breakers present. They'd be in the top two slots, which are still covered. Where is the main panel, and what's it got? You will need to know what your overall service amperage is, in order to get a handle on the overall project scope. And, as others have noted, this panel looks to be out of slots. Combining the two 15A full-width singles into a pair of half-wides might get you a double slot for a 240v drop, but it would depend on what's underneath, and what the upstream breaker is.

An electrician should be able to take a look and give you a general idea what you're in for. You may also need the help of the electric company (likely PG&E) to understand what upside your overall service might have. Both should be free.