TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power Folding Mirror Failure (or User Error)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tstafford, Oct 1, 2015.

1. tstafford

tstafford Member

All,

Noticed today that the passenger side mirror was folded in. Pressed the button on driver's side door and it closed the driver's side mirror (so now both closed). Pressed again - only drivers side unfolded. Manually opened the passenger one. Now it doesn't close - either via the button or upon locking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Tim

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sounds like it broke. Sorry. Time for a visit to the SC, unfortunately.

3. tstafford

tstafford Member

Thanks. That's what I figured but I thought I'd ask.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

You can try resetting the computers to see if that helps, or give it a day and see if it starts working again, but beyond that there's not much you can do if the manual button on the door doesn't work.

5. tstafford

tstafford Member

Reset didn't help - I tried that first. I try that any time the car is acting odd and it nearly always fixes things!

6. tmoz

tmoz Member

Mine's been doing that since day 1. Very random. SC can't reproduce. If you get a fix, please post. Thought it might be my knee hitting the mirror controls, but no way.
    It is sort of haunted - does it when it feels like it.
    I also had a faulty sensor that would warn me that something was near the rear driver side. That was also haunted. Replaced the sensors and the poltergeists went away.

7. ricsan50

ricsan50 Member

I brought my car in to fix excessive wind on drivers door. In fixing that the SC broke the drivers mirror motor. Got that fixed and then once every week or so the mirror did not unfold. Fortunately hit the button to close, and then hit again and both would open. Brought back again to fix, it has happen again one time in 3 weeks, and the wind noise is also still excessive.

8. TLee

TLee Member

My 2015 S85D had a wind noise in the right rear door. Now fixed.

Indy Service Ctr had to take the door apart in order to reangle the glass so it met the rubber seal snuggly at all edges. That fixed things for me.

9. tstafford

tstafford Member

FYI - For anyone who might care in the future, the end result of this was the SC replacing the mirror.

10. morbot

morbot Member

Sometimes one of my mirrors won't fold... I think partially because the paint protection and chrome delete are causing it to be pretty snug.

If only one mirror unfolds, I always just hit the button and they sync up again. Never had to manually/physically adjust it... does worry me each time though.

11. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I have very rarely (maybe two times in five months of ownership?) had the driver's side mirror fail to unfold automatically. I probably hit the button to fold/unfold the mirrors to correct the situation. All the other N-2 times I've gotten in the car, it's worked perfectly. It's such a minor issue that I even forgot to bring it up when I had a service appointment to take care of a handful of other minor issues.

12. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Tell them to check for a shortage in the harness that goes down to the door control module. I had wacky things happen every time I would hand wash the car. I finally put two and two together, the SC took the door part and found water pooling in the harness connector and the terminals had signs of corrosion.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Great advice. I tend to be this sort of person as well. I don't usually bring up an issue with my car until I have determined a predictable pattern. As an Engineer, a reproducible problem with a set pattern is significantly easier to diagnose/resolve that "it doesn't work right sometimes".

Note: This does not in any way defer an opinion on the Op. Some things are just that intermittent that one cannot figure it out and I do not mean to suggest that Op hasn't tried. I was speaking more generally above.