TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power folding mirrors newbie question

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Filter, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Filter

Filter Member

I just took delivery of my model s yesterday (which was awesome) and had a quick question. When I plugged in my car last night, I noticed my mirrors didn't fold. They were folding earlier after parking.

Does charging cause the mirrors to remain unfolded?

Thanks for the help! Feel silly asking...

2. Ames

Ames Member

The folding of the mirrors happens when the car locks itself. If you wait patiently the mirrors will fold themselves.

One thing I have noticed which I thought was odd is that if you vent the sunroof from the app it opens the mirrors even though the car remains locked. It could be mine only.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Did you have the fob close to the car while you were plugging in..? Maybe it just wants to go for a drive :)

• Like x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

Is it possible that you may need to adjust the settings, folding needs to be enabled.

5. Filter

Filter Member

Thanks for the replies!
    To answer your questions -

I have folding enabled and was driving around all night and parking places to visit friends, show them the car, etc.
    Throughout that time, the mirrors folded and unfolded as expected.
    I did have the key fob with me when I plugged the charger into the car.
    I also did linger for a bit near the car with the key in my pocket looking at it - first time it was in my garage and I enjoyed checking it out.
    Perhaps if I had immediately walked away it would have folded?

I just wanted to know if charging precluded the mirrors from folding automatically.
    We park my wife's minivan in the garage, and the folded mirrors give my very active kids extra room to maneuver.

Thanks again for reading this slightly OCD and excessively long post!
    Really appreciate the feedback here.

6. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

i have 90% folding mirrors, meaning they fold away 90% of the time. folding is enabled, i watch the car lock itself and blink the lights. sometimes the mirrors simply do not fold away.

figure its something ill tell the service center at some point. not really concerned about it is i dont ever plan on street parking my car.

OP, when did your car go into production? mine started feb 11th.

7. Filter

Filter Member

I figured out the problem, I had unlocked the car to get the charger out of the trunk - which unfolded the mirrors.
    It works perfectly.
    Thank you all for the help and advice!

8. shah007

shah007 Member

Jerjozwik - I have 90% folding mirrors too meaning they fold away 90% of the time. Were you able to get this issue resolved?

9. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

nah, i just ignore it. i barely ever street park so im not too worried about the mirrors.