TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power for remote heating/cooling of interior: from plug or battery?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Argelius, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

When this car is fully charged (but still plugged in) and you remotely access the climate control system to heat (or cool) the car, does power for that "come from the outlet"? Or does it merely come from the batteries just as if the car wasn't plugged in (which then get recharged as the battery heats/cools the cabin)?

I'm guessing this is a distinction without a difference, but just curious....

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I guess from the battery. The current coming from the plug can only go to the battery and not to any other place IMHO.

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Not true. It uses "shore power" for heating and cooling purposes.

So when connected you don't drain the battery. Very useful in the winter to pre-heat the car and not loose range.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Well, I believe you're both right.

As I understand it, the electrons flow from the battery, but the car pulls the equivalent amount of power from the wall. So my understanding is that if you're using 3kW to heat the cabin, that power comes from the battery, but the car will also pull 3kW from the wall to replace it.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Good. Very advanced power plug-in system for the Model S.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

...with another caveat: If you are on a lower power connection or have your charging current lowered below the amount that the heat needs, it will take what it can from the wall and the rest from the battery.