Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power from solar tiles seems crazy high

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I got my solar tile roof back in Feb and the team did a fantastic job putting it on. Granted it took longer than expected but the end result is better than I was hoping for. There were some changes in the electrical scheduled prior to final permitting when... COVID came along. So I have a finished roof over my head, but I'm technically not "on the grid". I have no data in the Tesla app yet because it hasn't been finaled.

Well I wanted to try things out so I turned it on and it works! And I have numbers that seem pretty much insanely high. I wanted to see if I'm reading this the wrong way.

I have two inverters, one for each side of my roof. From the picture, the visible side gets the morning sun. The opposite side (which is uninterrupted because it has no dormer window) gets the afternoon sun.

If I'm looking at the data the right way, I'm consistently getting > 40kWh generation per day! The specs said it'd be just over 10kWh. What's wrong (or right)??? Of course I turned it off after a few days of testing...

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.13.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.13.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.13.12 PM.png

OP, I suspect what @power.saver says is what is going on here....

For reference, I have tesla solar panels (not solar roof) and my system size is 8.7, but I see production right now (from late march through june or so) of roughly 50-52 Kwh per day on a nice sunny day.

Edit : we were posting at same time.

With that being said, I find the numbers somewhat interesting, at showing how shading etc can really affect production (and roof pitch). My 8.7 sized system produces annual Kwh of around 12,500 or so.

We are also still waiting for final inspection and PTO on our Solaglass roof, but I noticed during "tests" that the roof generates a lot of power (mine is a 12.2 KW). And I think a lot of it comes from the North facing side of the house. The sections where they put the active tiles on the North side are in sun a lot. So the program that Tesla uses to position these tiles is quite accurate. It is nice to see the 2 PWs get filled in a 3-4 hours. Can't image how much power we will generate in summer. Maybe I should add another powerwall to capture more.

Last edited:
We are also still waiting for final inspection and PTO on our Solaglass roof, but I noticed during "tests" that the roof generates a lot of power (mine is a 12.2 KW). And I think a lot of it comes from the North facing side of the house. The sections where they put the active tiles on the North side are in sun a lot. So the program that Tesla uses to position these tiles is quite accurate. It is nice to see the 2 PWs get filled in a 3-4 hours. Can't image how much power we will generate in summer. Maybe I should add another powerwall to capture more.
How much is your roof generating? I am going to get a 12kw roof which is more than the 9.5kw Tesla had on my order.

just because you have panels versus roof doesn't mean they are facing South. I have 40 Panels (11.8kW). My roof faces East and West. I have more panels on the East roof than on the West roof just due to roof structure. On Tuesday, I produced 67kWh. Yesterday was 64kWh

OK so I got my solar tile roof back in Feb and the team did a fantastic job putting it on. Granted it took longer than expected but the end result is better than I was hoping for. There were some changes in the electrical scheduled prior to final permitting when... COVID came along. So I have a finished roof over my head, but I'm technically not "on the grid". I have no data in the Tesla app yet because it hasn't been finaled.

Well I wanted to try things out so I turned it on and it works! And I have numbers that seem pretty much insanely high. I wanted to see if I'm reading this the wrong way.

I have two inverters, one for each side of my roof. From the picture, the visible side gets the morning sun. The opposite side (which is uninterrupted because it has no dormer window) gets the afternoon sun.

If I'm looking at the data the right way, I'm consistently getting > 40kWh generation per day! The specs said it'd be just over 10kWh. What's wrong (or right)??? Of course I turned it off after a few days of testing...

View attachment 534883

View attachment 534884

View attachment 534885

Your roof came out looking really well! Congratulations!