Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk DIY Installation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everybody! For all of you who are interested, I just did a DIY installation of the Hansshow Power Frunk Module. For me, the ability to control the Frunk remotely is a game-changer. Please have a look, “Like”, and subscribe to the channel if you want to see more videos like it. :)
Thank you!

Reactions: z168 and Jynxter
He addresses those concerns at the 20 min mark. All close functions except triple clicking the fob work as intended.

Exactly, thank you Qbenjamin! I am not sure why this is the case, but everything else works as I’d want it to! As I said, it’s truly a game-changer. If any of you are doing it yourself, the only thing you need that you might not realize is to have is some sort of bit-holding ratchet, similar to the $8 one I put in the description. Below my video. It does not have to be that one, obviously. Use any one you can get your hands on.

thank you

so neither does the "close all" feature in the center screen, correct?

Great question! I had not covered that in my video. To make sure, I just ran out to test it. You’re right, the Close All button on the centre screen does not close it. Interestingly, the Close All button does not even appear if only the frunk is open.

• Helpful
Reactions: forkee
Because close all likely sends specific signal to close everything. The Frunk system is a little independent of the car. Screen never has a close option, Their system detects that the frunk is open, and issues command to the controller to close the struts then latch at the right time.

Reactions: xspace
Had one installed 2 weeks ago.
Makes Frunk more useable. Going from a Model S, the Frunk is more spacious and probably as big as trunks in some sports cars.
Closing it manually seems more difficult than before, but I may just need more practice.

Had one installed 2 weeks ago.
Makes Frunk more useable. Going from a Model S, the Frunk is more spacious and probably as big as trunks in some sports cars.
Closing it manually seems more difficult than before, but I may just need more practice.

Dont close it manually. Use the remote, app, or screen. Or the button inside the frunk at the front by the light.

Reactions: ARMARM and xspace
I just installed the kit from Tesla Offer in China. This was their V2 with upgraded motor to the latch so there is no need for the emergency pull and re-positioning brackets for the hood piston. Very substantial and well-made. It is new enough that there were no instructions but mostly followed their YouTube video to get the idea and I texted the support person through Whats App for specific questions. All in all, pretty straightforward. Now I feel that I could whip one in in an hour or so without difficulty, maybe less. Really nice and feels like the thing that the car should have had from the beginning. Really genius the way it works with the car electronics. My wife loves it as the closing ritual with the careful hood smashing is somewhat daunting. Also, since there is no cutting or splicing, it can be taken off and moved to another car without any damage returning it to original as long as you keep the original parts. Anyone in the Kansas City area with an X that needs help installing can get hold of me. It was kind of fun. Just don't drop anything down one of the many cracks and crevices. Tough to fish out without fiber-optics!

Really nice and feels like the thing that the car should have had from the beginning. Really genius the way it works with the car electronics. My wife loves it as the closing ritual with the careful hood smashing is somewhat daunting. Also, since there is no cutting or splicing, it can be taken off and moved to another car without any damage returning it to original as long as you keep the original parts. Anyone in the Kansas City area with an X that needs help installing can get hold of me. It was kind of fun. Just don't drop anything down one of the many cracks and crevices. Tough to fish out without fiber-optics!
Alright you convinced me. Just ordered it. Now I just need my X. :(

I’m curious, so does the manual release still work?

Part of the reason the fronts are manual are because it allows a mechanical and quick release access to do a safe high voltage disconnect.

I don’t expect to get into that situation but it’s a pretty big part of safety to my family, first responders and those around us. If it can be overridden and still provides quick access then this is a great find.

• Love
The question that is burning on my mind is "will Tesla give you heat during a SC stay for having non-standard components in the car". Will the warranty get void etc.

Will they? Probably.

Can they? Well that’s been a discussion beyond Tesla’s for decades.

In an effort to sum up, warranty law basically says they have to cover it if they can’t prove the aftermarket component caused the problem. I’m reality, it’s a fight that not many people take and dealers / service centers will know that.